Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cheapest power supply that doesn't hum

JMM

I'm currently building a pedalboard and am looking for a cheap 6 pedal power supply to get me started.

The pedalboard has/will eventually have the following:

Tech21: XXL Bass
Boss CEB-3 Chorus
Bright Onion Dual AB Looper
TC Electronic Polytune Mini
Boss DD-7 Delay
Boss OC-3 Octaver

The CEB-3 draws 22mA, OC-3 50mA, DD-7 55mA, Polytune Mini 40mA.

I'm unsure of the current draw on the XXL and the Bright Onion is only to power a couple of LEDs (the rest of the pedal is passive).

That's about 200mA draw total. I'd like about double that though as a minimum so something about 400mA+

I like the idea of the Boss power supply, but I can't use the daisy chain as I don't think any of these pedals have a DC out?

Has anyone bought a power supply from ebay and if so, what was it like?

I've had a few issues with the new style 'switch mode' PSUs giving off noise, I'd recommend trawling eBay for one with a transformer (less efficient and bigger, but quieter) and get a set of daisy chain leads - I think Maplin have some cheap ones in.

I'd also look for a transformer-based PSU, although most of the 'noise' from a switch-mode PSU will be high-frequency (and usually well out of audible range).

But beware of really cheap transformer PSUs in case they skimp on the DC smoothing capacitors, leaving a 50Hz ripple on the DC power output. The audible effect of this will depend mostly on the devices connected to it but can also be affected by how close to the max rating the PSU is being operated. In this respect, choosing a PSU with at least twice the required power is a good idea.

If hum problems do manifest themselves, it might be worth experimenting with adding some additional smooting capacitors to the PSU output.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1349124687' post='1822253']
I've ended up using a flat screen monitor PSU for my DHA valve pedal and it's whisper quiet - just goes to show what a clean DC supply can do for you.
[/quote]
I know there's a known issue with switch mode supplies and Dave's pedals, in that they need to be plugged in to the effect before the power supply is switched on (IIRC). I'm not sure if that is a quirk of DHA's designs or whether it applies to other pedals as well. I seem to remember Dave saying it was a high pitched whistle, and could be cured by taking the above mentioned steps.

I always use an old style transformer with my VT bass, so it's not a problem I've actually had to deal with.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1349216283' post='1823590']
I know there's a known issue with switch mode supplies and Dave's pedals, in that they need to be plugged in to the effect before the power supply is switched on (IIRC). I'm not sure if that is a quirk of DHA's designs or whether it applies to other pedals as well. I seem to remember Dave saying it was a high pitched whistle, and could be cured by taking the above mentioned steps.
[/quote]

I did not know this. Thanks for that. :o

I just did a search to check that my memory wasn't totally playing up on me. It seems like it could be a problem with other pedals as well, not just Dave's. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/7552-feedback-issues-on-vt-1-purist/page__view__findpost__p__80353"]Linky[/url].

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1349216283' post='1823590']

I always use an old style transformer with my VT bass, so it's not a problem I've actually had to deal with.
[/quote]

some Switchmode PSU's need a load at switch on or they can run at the wrong frequency which is why you can hear it.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1349464050' post='1826781']
Does Johnny Shredfreak not make power supplies any more? I got mine for like £12, and picked up a daisy chain and a long figure 8 power cable for another few quid
[/quote]

No they stopped for some reason, someone did tell me but I've completely forgotten. The Diago powerstation is identical with a different label and a larger markup but is the only one now available.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1349465646' post='1826815']
No they stopped for some reason, someone did tell me but I've completely forgotten. The Diago powerstation is identical with a different label and a larger markup but is the only one now available.
[/quote]

That's a shame :(

Cool to know it's identical to the Diago though! It should last me a long time then! :)

Where can I buy the Visual Sound units in the UK? I see a few combo packs available from the states on ebay, but I'd really prefer a UK based seller. HotRox has them, but Firefox tells me that the connection is untrusted. False positive on Firefox's part? Are they genuine?

+1 on the Diago. Had similar thing with the DHA VT2 too, it would emit a low level high pitch hum until you clicked one of the stomps. Totally fine after that but make sure you stomp them with the mute engaged otherwise you get a big Thump! with each stomp switch.