Why become a member? ×

Not a Muse fan boy but....

steve-soar

I loved my S2 when I had it, it was just a bit too expensive for me to justify keeping. If I had to be picky about anything it was the lack of control over how much the mids were boosted and cut, it was 6db boost, 6db cut or nothing - more flexible than most preamps but still a bit restrictive.

The pickups look to be quite close together on that bass - certainly a lot closer than they are on my old series II.... Nice looking beast though!

Edit: after reading the SG website blurb.... "The bridge pickup has been moved away from the bridge by 20mm to make the right-hand technique a little more flexible."

I thought as much. Although I have no idea what they mean by "more flexible right hand technique"...? :huh:

Edited by Conan

I've had my prototype for a couple of years now, best Status I've ever played. Mine is the standard S2 spec apart from a one piece bridge which I prefer. It's an alder body with a graphite skin, and the usual graphite through neck construction:

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphite.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphitecloseup.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphiteback.jpg[/IMG]

It's a very nice bass. The mid shift is taken from something like the EMG circuit I have in my 8 string (although that has stacked knobs). It was always a source of slight frustration that even on a bass like the buzzard the mids were only either "flat" or "boosted." If it were a complete graphite mould rather than just facings (which I consider cheating), I'd probably be a bit more interested.

The simple fact of it is that Status don't have that many endorsees that are stupidly high profile. Whilst there can be no argument (love them or hate them) that Muse are one of the biggest bands in the world, does anyone like Chris Wolstenholme enough to shell out £2300 on a bass when it's very unlikely to make you sound like him? It's like people that buy a Wal to sound like Justin Chancellor. It just doesn't happen as he's using so much processing. However, that's a whole other argument.

I would like to think that this is finally Status stopping rolling out Kingbasses every year or 2. However, I doubt it. Do we really need 9 different Kingbass variants? Really? Really?!!! Do us (or more importantly me!!) a favour and build a bass to replace the buzzard. Preferably one which your forearm can rest on and is availble as an 8 string which would be a one piece graphite mould.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1348579502' post='1815442']
Liking the inclusion on the midrange eq.
[/quote]

Rob's been offering this as a custom option for a while, although usually the mid gain knob replaces the mini switch (which gives +6db / flat / -6db presets) rather than having a bypass switch too.

Moving the bridge pickup forward is probably a cool mod, I often want a little bass boost on the EQ when favouring the bridge pickup.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1348582585' post='1815504']
It's a very nice bass. The mid shift is taken from something like the EMG circuit I have in my 8 string (although that has stacked knobs). It was always a source of slight frustration that even on a bass like the buzzard the mids were only either "flat" or "boosted." If it were a complete graphite mould rather than just facings (which I consider cheating), I'd probably be a bit more interested.

The simple fact of it is that Status don't have that many endorsees that are stupidly high profile. Whilst there can be no argument (love them or hate them) that Muse are one of the biggest bands in the world, does anyone like Chris Wolstenholme enough to shell out £2300 on a bass when it's very unlikely to make you sound like him? It's like people that buy a Wal to sound like Justin Chancellor. It just doesn't happen as he's using so much processing. However, that's a whole other argument.

I would like to think that this is finally Status stopping rolling out Kingbasses every year or 2. However, I doubt it. Do we really need 9 different Kingbass variants? Really? Really?!!! Do us (or more importantly me!!) a favour and build a bass to replace the buzzard. Preferably one which your forearm can rest on and is availble as an 8 string which would be a one piece graphite mould.
[/quote]

We don't need that many, it seems Mark does though :D I guess if you've developed something to Mark's latest spec you might as well make it available and get some money back from the R&D.

I'd also be surprised if many people buy Chris' bass purely because they're a fan, I ordered mine purely because I wanted an all graphite S2 and thought the alder core would give me the sound I wanted.

I like the Chris sig. I couldn't deal with that many nobs though. I love the simple pre on my Energy. I do think it would be nice to have bass cut/boost too and maybe a passive mode with a tone control but I don't want that much control from the bass. Do the status faithful think Rob would build an S2 with a 2 band pre?

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1348613869' post='1816136']
I like the Chris sig. I couldn't deal with that many nobs though. I love the simple pre on my Energy. I do think it would be nice to have bass cut/boost too and maybe a passive mode with a tone control but I don't want that much control from the bass. Do the status faithful think Rob would build an S2 with a 2 band pre?
[/quote]

Rob'll probably build you whatever you ask for but it'll probably add to the cost!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1348679891' post='1816894']
You clearly don't understand the power of fanboyisms of you think people won't buy this just because it's Chris's bass ;)

Us Muse fans are a strange lot :lol:
[/quote]

Yeahhhh...

I need to find 2 grand now.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1348740792' post='1817519']
Good to see CW loves his new signature bass.....by not using it on Jools the other night.

I like the bass, and i like Muse for that matter, but £2.3k is alot of spends.
[/quote]
Thought he used it on the third song? I watched on IpLayer though - maybe you saw the shorter version earlier in the week>
1st Song - Old Fender
2nd - that nintendo db neck monstrosity!
3rd - Status