Why become a member? ×

I've tried to spend less time on bass related sites...but this...ARGHHH

Musicman20

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348526773' post='1814940']
ahahahaha, you don't change do you brother :lol: You are the one person on here with permanent, full on, GASSSSSS!

I have to say, the Big Als are really lovely, but I can't get on with those nut widths. The white and tort is wondrous!
[/quote]

It's true! I try stay away but can't! I am trying to reduce looking at new gear though. Agreed the Big Als are great.

I know the feeling :blush: ;)

Just think, Gareth - you could have one of those shipped as well :D

Have you seen the pic of the Bongo 5 PDN and the natural finish Sterling Classic on the MM forum............some seriously nice basses being produced..........and bought (unfortunately not by me :rolleyes: ). And I have vintage Fender gas on top of all that!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1348529284' post='1814968']
I know the feeling :blush: ;)

Just think, Gareth - you could have one of those shipped as well :D

Have you seen the pic of the Bongo 5 PDN and the natural finish Sterling Classic on the MM forum............some seriously nice basses being produced..........and bought (unfortunately not by me :rolleyes: ). And I have vintage Fender gas on top of all that!
[/quote]

I know. Arghggh

They are stunning. Now a Reflex 5 HH PDN as well. One of the best Ltd series they've made.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1348529374' post='1814970']
They are stunning. Now a Reflex 5 HH PDN as well. One of the best Ltd series they've made.
[/quote]

WIthout a doubt - you mean this Reflex :o :gas: :gas: :gas:

[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/54488-now-something-different-pdn-reflex-hh-5-a.html"]http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/54488-now-something-different-pdn-reflex-hh-5-a.html[/url]

Edited by drTStingray

Weight is a big issue for me nowadays, and so whatever bass I buy has to be a light example of that particular model- obviously, some models of bass are going to be inherently heavier than others. I have hardly seen any four string Stingrays made in recent years that were as light as your 5 ; they tend to be closer to 10 pounds more often than not in my experience , thats why I opted for a Reflex with humbuckers when I was looking for an EBMM to do the Stingray thing. . When I had my Reflex made for me I requested a light one , and mine is the second -lightest I have ever seen. Its still not as light as your five strings, though. 5 string EBMMs that light are like gold dust , and definitely keepers.

My SR4 Classic is 9lb 8oz - however it does have a slab body also, so a bit more wood to the body than the regular Ray - this seems to be the fairly common weight of current basses. However I also have a 2007 SR4HH which is under 9lbs. I have heard of Sterling 4s as low as 7lbs 9 oz.

I can understandyour point on weight of basses being important - it never used to bother me but a run of two or three gigs with a heavy bass takes its toll on the back - I do find, however, that a heavy bass with excellent balance is less of a problem - I find the worst situation is a heavy bass with poor balance.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1348601487' post='1815895']
My SR4 Classic is 9lb 8oz - however it does have a slab body also, so a bit more wood to the body than the regular Ray - this seems to be the fairly common weight of current basses. However I also have a 2007 SR4HH which is under 9lbs. I have heard of Sterling 4s as low as 7lbs 9 oz.
[/quote]

That's definitely on the light side for a Classic.

9.5 pounds is my cut-off point for any bass nowadays. That's the upper limit of what I find comfortable.

Edited by Dingus

Gotta say, I don't like any of those posted above :blink:
For some reason, it's just not cool when EBMM do "funny stuff".
I like the original iterations of the 'Ray (2 or 3 eq), 'Ray 5, Sterling and even the Bongo (4/5 HS and HH).
But all this Reflux and Toasted Neck and Big Al stuff just misses the mark somehow.
Don't really get all the HS and HH and "classic" versions of basses that were better just the way they were.

Strangely, it seems entirely appropriate for Warwick to do what ever the hell they want to any bass they want, and it just seems ok.
Like I said, I can't explain it!!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1348602216' post='1815913']
9.5 pounds is my cut-off point for any bass nowadays. That's the upper limit of what I find comfortable.
[/quote]

Interestingly, someone on the EBMM forum has just ordered a PDN Bongo from the Perfect Bass - weighed at 8.9 lbs (mahogony body) - seems excellent to me.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1348671503' post='1816751']
You"d be gutted if you had just spent nearer the RRP , thats quite a drop

MM, one day you'll be one a TV show about people with GAS or great collections of bass related products
[/quote]

I know. Haha. I take comfort in the fact that those who spend a lot more on cars/bikes spend a LOT more money and don't have as much to show if they buy a car that becomes worthless.

I've just been looking at the special edition Bongo in The Perfect Bass and I don't care for it too much, to be honest. I stand by my initial assertion that the Bongo looks better as it is in a sleek and modern solid colour. The special burst Sterling and Reflex look mega, but the Ray and Bongo don't look quite right to me. At least the weight seem pretty typical despite the mahogany bodies.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1348600072' post='1815867']
Weight is a big issue for me nowadays, and so whatever bass I buy has to be a light example of that particular model- obviously, some models of bass are going to be inherently heavier than others. I have hardly seen any four string Stingrays made in recent years that were as light as your 5 ; they tend to be closer to 10 pounds more often than not in my experience , thats why I opted for a Reflex with humbuckers when I was looking for an EBMM to do the Stingray thing. . When I had my Reflex made for me I requested a light one , and mine is the second -lightest I have ever seen. Its still not as light as your five strings, though. 5 string EBMMs that light are like gold dust , and definitely keepers.
[/quote] ooooff this is one of the things that put me of any stingray - my current basses range from 7.8 - 9 pounds - over 10 seems very heavy - my old T40 was about 13 pounds....