Why become a member? ×

'66 'Slab' Precision Build

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Mabrothrax' timestamp='1354563244' post='1887468']
Damn.

Please tell me you're gonna put flats on that beauty?
[/quote]

I think I'm going pure Entwhistle, and gonna put Rotasounds roundwounds on it, I'm not a flats fan anyway to be honest, although I do have them on my original stuff, as much for the sound, and also to save the frets. Undecided at the moment, maybe flats, you've got me thinking now. <_<

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1354740621' post='1889958']
When finished , How much roughly do you think that it will cost to put together ?
[/quote]

I'll email you the exact cost sheet Chris, showing the full breakdown. But it cost, in total, less than £750, and it has about the same value, or more of original parts alone. If I had gone reissue on the parts, it would have been about £450, but the original parts cost me more...obviously.
My budget, having allocated potential outlay costs for each component, was £1300 when I set out, so delighted at some of the purchases made. The neck was the big saving for me though on this one.

I've sourced and purchased another set of ferrulle bushings, which are on their way to me from texas as I type, so hopefully have it finished soon!

(BTW, your strings should be with you tomorrow, I was a day late posting, due to a personal issue!, apologies)

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1354792599' post='1890363']
Oh dear, I was born in 1966..... I hope you have no plans selling this Rick!
[/quote]

i haven't even finished it yet!!! :D

No plans on selling it, it's been a dream build for me, for many years, and taken me a year to make after I first acquired the scratchplate, but never say never, I have constant GAS..ahem...and my previous builds have all been eventually moved on, but certainly no short term plans to let it go, this is by far my best build to date, and because of the time and effort in sourcing the period parts, its unlikley to be going anywhere fast.
Its also worth a few bob in parts alone, so any asking price would probably put most people off anyway. In order to sell, and make it affordable, I'd probably have to swap the original parts for reissues, which for me, would take the shine off it somewhat.

It's mine.......all mine!! Mwah..ha...ha..ha!! :P

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1354801238' post='1890543']
Now, once the strings are on, we are all expecting to see your YouTube version of the My Generation solo. I know it was played on a J bass with flats, but even so....its the decent thing to do after all that effort. Live in Northampton.
[/quote]

I may give it a go, but I know my limits, and thats probably beyond, but will be fun, to be honest, I always found that a very awkward sounding solo. love it though.
We used to do a cover, of The Who's cover, of Summertime Blues, so I may do that instead, another great bass part from Mr E.! :D

Very nice, I like this a lot, well done! I'm particularly fond of P basses, and of reproductions of 50s and 60s instruments in particular. In fact, I'm hoping to start my P build (probably a '57-'59 type) over Christmas. I'm still researching it - no doubt you could answer most of my questions on the details!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1354811509' post='1890732']
I thought the 'My Generation' solo was recorded with a Dan Electro Longhorn?[/quote]

Entwistle's first choice for 'My Generation' was indeed a Danelectro. 'We did three takes, all of which were faster, more trebly and more complex than the final one, and I kept breaking strings. You couldn't get replacements, so I had to keep buying Danelectros. When the store ran out of them, I bought a Fender Jazz Bass, put on La Bella flats and used it to cut the final version...'

OK, I received the tuner ferrules today, so finally got to string her up. surprisingly it needed little setting up. The neck was straight, and perfectly aligned within the neck pocket, so no shimming. Very slight saddle height adjustments to match the slight radius of the neck, and we were good to go. Nice low action, no buzzing (The neck is new, so wasnt expecting too many issues there). It plays and sounds lovely unplugged.

The only thing left to do is to solder the grey bottom pickups onto the '66 pots, and then fire her up. This can wait until the christmas break, when I have a couple of weeks to do it properly.

Delighted with the results. The body and finish are nothing short of spectacular, if not perfect from the brief I gave. The neck has surpassed my expectations when i set out on this, and the rest of it is original '65/'66.

I'm a happy bunny.

Here's the pics just taken of the tuners, and it strung up. I'll try and get some nice pics that show off the finish in the daylight at the weekend, although some of the pics on my last update post show it off pretty well. heavy, but still transluscent white blonde, medium weather checking, lovely and veiny, just right.

Thanks for looking, and everyone's comments along the way. I've enjoyed this more than anything else I've done, probably because it was so difficult, and therefore challenging, and ultimately rewarding. I'm glad I stuck to my desire to have original components, despite urges along the way, (Fuelled by my imatience to finish it), to use the odd new reissue part, and hopefully this will result in the closest possible replica/tribute bass.

Hopefully the next update will be some sound clips, or worse still, a dodgy youtube upload! :D

I wish all subscribers to this thread, and all of basschat of course (Although they won't see this), a very Merry Christmas, and I hope Santa brings you what you want!!

Cheers, Rick.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52