Why become a member? ×

Preparing for first audition

Floyd

Check all your gear, make sure it`s all working propery.
Check the route to wherever the audition is, and if it`s a 30min journey, estimate it will take you 50mins.
If driving, keep the heater on. not too hot, but you don`t want cold hands on an audition.
If any songs are more awkward than others, hum them to yourself throughout the day, so that they become second nature.

[quote name='Floyd' timestamp='1347967023' post='1807218']
I've got my first audition coming up. I've got a set list that I'm working hard on but I'm wondering what people do to psyche themselves up for it so nerves don't wreck the day.
[/quote]
Stick a massive cucumber down the inside of your tightest trousers. If that fails do what Lozz said. Good luck.

Don't worry toooo much about mistakes. If your timing is good and you know the progression more often than not that will be enough. Just lock in with the drummer and try and relax.

Be friendly and get them to talk about themselves, their instruments, their goals and pay compliments where due...It will make you come across that you are genuinly interested in joining the band.

As above, just make sure you are as prepared as possible. (I have this bad habit of listening to songs so much that i learn to hate them, but know them back to front, he says , listenign to a playlist of 60 1980's songs for a gig this weekend)
Be chilled, have a bit of fun, and look interested

Get there early, but not too early
Be nice and normal, have a laugh
Casually have a bag sweets or biscuits to hand for a snack. Offer them around.
Get an idea of what they're like to hang out with.

Oh and play some kick ass bass. But not too kick ass.

[quote name='Floyd' timestamp='1347976402' post='1807494']
I'm not ready yet. I know the numbers but they need some polish. I've still got a couple of weeks so I 'll be ready.
[/quote]

Depends how you play as to whether the polish bit is important. If you aren't that confident then you'll need to be as prepared as you can..
but if you come across and can also deliver a convincing take on the song, then the polish bit can come later.
Also, depends what you know about the other guys... the standard isn't likely to be roasting as those sort of gigs aren't mostly auditioned, they are 'invites'
so if you think you can hold your own at a local level, then you just need to connect.
We know different, but other band members just want a bass to do the basic things and be there in the majority of cases..
they don't want a bigger playing personality than the gtr or singer, for example.

Connect with the guys on a personal basis and don't stuff up the music side and you stand a pretty good chance.

Good luck

[quote name='Floyd' timestamp='1347967023' post='1807218']
I've got my first audition coming up. I've got a set list that I'm working hard on but I'm wondering what people do to psyche themselves up for it so nerves don't wreck the day.
[/quote]
Keep it simple and keep it tight.....and remember that your also auditioning the band too! I auditioned for a band that gave me a set list of 40 songs and to get started i nailed the easier tracks and got them tight. Relax and be cool! Good Luck and let us know how you got on :)

Nobody needs to learn more than a few tracks... as it is too much work for potentially no gain.

Select 5 or so that you can give a good run through as that is all they will need to decide if things are going to work and vice versa.
The rest you can busk if you get that far..but if anyone expects you to learn a set for an audition, that tells you all you really need to know about them