Why become a member? ×

Busiest Bassline in Indie History?

coffee_king

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1347891157' post='1806199']
[media]http://youtu.be/5Da9sc6YDBo[/media]
[/quote]

slice of pure fried genius there.

it's brilliant how the bassline sounds like pealing bells....bells to welcome the mayor of simpleton.

but back to the OP - there certainly was a lot of funk in andy rourke's playing.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347891548' post='1806208'] is "hit me with your rhythem stick" indie? [/quote]

guess it was, stiff records i think ?

That smiths line is great, I nearly gigged it once, but the singer got cold feet before it got into the set

Wow ,this thread is bringing back some memories already ! Are XTC indie though? I wouldn't class them as such - Virgin were a pretty mainstream label by the late 70s' , if not technically one of the majors - but they were bloody brilliant musicians, regardless. As ahpook points out , Colin Moulding is a bona fide genius of the bassline . He should get a lot more recognition than he has done up to now.
Andy Rourke was always a cut above most other indie bass players too . His lines were always inventive, interesting and a lot harder to figure out how to play than you might think, and he had a great sound too.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' timestamp='1348041752' post='1808328']
Have a listen to Lou Howard from Red Guitars (and The Planet Wilson) I love her playing. "Good Technology" is all root notes, but songs like Astronomy, Steeltown and Cloak & Dagger show what she can do.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo91fu14U8Y[/media]
[/quote]

Wow theres a blast from the past!!! Shes playing a fretless on the 'good technology' vid. She is/was a realy good player :)

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1347982244' post='1807631']
I cant stand Mayor of Simpleton (Life long XTC fanboy here) but its nice to see Colin getting another love fest :D

Colin and the boys are bloody good musicians full stop. (Even Barry Andrews had his moments ;) )

A
[/quote]

I think it is no exaggeration to say that as musicians , XTC have more good ideas in one song than some bands have in their entire carreers. Not just Colin Moulding either ; Dave Gregory was/is a supremely creative guitarist with all kinds of subtleties in his playing .

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1347903465' post='1806454']
Bloody love Andy rourkes bass playing , always very inventive , think I read somewhere that johhnny marr came up with a lot of them , maybe wrong though ?
[/quote]
Hey all
Looks like Ive started something I couldnt finish..........groan.
With regards to that whole Marr writing basslines for Rourke I personally feel this is utter bollocks. Ive read a few books on The Smiths and its been "Mentioned" in both, but nothing more than mentioned. All of Rourkes basslines all sound like Rourkes unique style throughout The Smiths (The good side of funk) and I cant imagine someone telling him exactly what to play note for note on any of these tracks. Unless Rourke made it up himself I dont know how he'd ever remember to play all those extra notes? I sure as sh*t wouldnt bother putting them in on purpose if someone demanded I HAD to :)

I think that quote probably went something along the lines of what we've all as bass players experienced before at one time or another.

Guitarist - Can you play something like ba-bah-ba-ba-b-bow?
Bassist - You mean like this - (Attempts to play what the guitarist has just sung out of tune to him but with some actual groove and melody)
Guitarist - Yeah, exactly like that

Guitarist says to himself "What an awesome bassline I just wrote" - Bass player says to himself "I was already playing that anyway, whats he going on about?"

And dont even get me going on the vocalist stealing the melody from the bassline when a songs being written all together in a rehearsal studio, so it just ends up sounding like the bass has stolen the main vocal melody.

:)

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1348044498' post='1808369']
Wow theres a blast from the past!!! Shes playing a fretless on the 'good technology' vid. She is/was a realy good player :)
[/quote]
She's a really nice person too. My first gig as a bassist was supporting The Planet Wilson. Lou offered me the use of her Stingray and her Dynacord rig. I said no to the bass, but yes to the amp! ;)