Why become a member? ×

Manchester Bass Day 11th November 2012 - Is it happening?

Stompbox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a shame if it's not happening, I really thought it was gathering pace, however I know that there's an awful amount of work involved in geting it on. Steve, Pris and Gary have to work very hard to make it happen, and I think we'd know by now if it was on.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't get a chance to go and see the Stevie Williams band as i picked a dep gig up, but was over at Manchester Bass Lounge a couple of weeks ago having a look at the new Gordon Smith "Gryphon" Bass and Nigel Clutterbuck was there. He confirmed that it isn't happening this year.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349477566' post='1827024']
I'm guessing that the London Bass Show has hurt Bass Day somewhat?
[/quote]

This. Last one I went to was 2010 I think and it wasn't bad, but the LBGS in 2011 totally outshone it unfortunately. It's a shame as it wasn't too big and was easy to get to unlike London, but alas it seems Stevie didn't want to compete with a 'big player' and I can't blame him.

This is sad tidings for the Northern bass community. I only hope that we haven't seen the last of it. If Stevie needs volunteers to help with next years event, if there is one. I would be happy to help out, and Im sure many others would too. Unfortunately there is not much I could do except on a practical basis. Except maybe things like moving gear from a to b, help with transport, volunteers to help man desks etc.etc.

All the really important stuff comes from Stevies contacts and long years on the bass and live music scene. Not sure I could be much help there, and not the sort of thing any old joe could step in and take over, even if they wanted to. It must be a mammoth task to put together. Maybe we never let him and the others know how much we appreciated the bass event and what it meant to us.

Lets hope it rises anew next year.

Edited by daz

• 2 months later...

Went to see Stevie last night at Bloom in Altrincham and had a chat about UK Bass Day. Bottom line is that he wanted a year off as he is putting an album of his "Most Wanted Band" together and needed to concentrate on that.
He is looking at putting one on this year depending on who he can get to play.