Why become a member? ×

2x10 over a 4x10

Sub_Drop

Hi people,
I was wondering whether anyone has any experience or has gigged with a 2x10. I currently have an ampeg svt410hlf but I think it's slowly destroying my car and my back so I was thinking about getting a 2x10 to reduce the weight. So far I've seen the tc electronic rs210 and bc210. what do you lot think?

I now use 210's, and used to use only 410's. I still love them but made the move as I have the bands PA and drove a Nissan Micra! The markbass 410 (which I'm selling) is outstanding, I love it but the space is needed and so went for a 210, also markbass. It's great, it you get the right one you should still get plenty bottom end. My 210 sounds incredible, while it's not a 410 and will never compete with it, it is still great.

Have a play through as many as you can with your amp head and see what takes your fancy. If you're in the North East you're welcome to drop by and try my 210 out.

Dan

A 2x12 is probably a better solution, its smaller than a 4x10, most are lighter - especially the Neo ones. And there's a whole heap of reasons why they are almost as good (if not as good) as a 4x10 in terms of output, better in terms of dispersion.

I changed from a heavy 4x10 to a very light 2x12 and my back, my car and my ears couldn't be happier!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1346775441' post='1793060']
A 2x12 is probably a better solution, its smaller than a 4x10, most are lighter - especially the Neo ones. And there's a whole heap of reasons why they are almost as good (if not as good) as a 4x10 in terms of output, better in terms of dispersion.

I changed from a heavy 4x10 to a very light 2x12 and my back, my car and my ears couldn't be happier!
[/quote] Beat me to it while I was typing!

A 2x10 will be in a smaller cab than the 4x10 & also has less drivers, so it's probably not going to be as loud straight in front of it.
However, a vertical standing 2x10 will have a far better excursion than the 4x10 meaning it will have a more consistent sound when you move away from the front of it.

2x12 would be a good option also. :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1346776430' post='1793087']
I agree with the 2x12 theories as above. Ideal compromise.

Though if you like Ampeg, their PF-410HLF weighs 70lbs - unless that`s still pushing it a bit far.
[/quote] [b]Still big[/b]
[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1346775729' post='1793071']
A 2x10 will be in a smaller cab than the 4x10 & also has less drivers, so it's probably not going to be as loud straight in front of it.
However, a vertical standing 2x10 will have a far better excursion than the 4x10 meaning it will have a more consistent sound when you move away from the front of it.

2x12 would be a good option also. :)
[/quote]
[b]Still quiet[/b]

2X12 Wins again :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I use a 210 for small gigs and it copes really well. It doesn't generate the same amount of air pressure behind you as much as a 410 obviously and placing the cab on the stage whereby you can hear yourself clearly is a bit tricky. If you play with a drummer that doesn't hit that hard then a 210 will do the trick. I play in two bands and the 210 is ample for one band and the 410 has to come out for the other as that drummer strikes with a heck of a lot more gusto and everyone else in the band responds by turning up louder, so the 210 gets swamped a bit.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346777727' post='1793113']
With respect my 2x12T would 100% kill it :)
[/quote]

Maybe. I've never heard your 2x12, but I don't doubt that it's loud.
Fact is, a good 2x10 isn't quiet. I've used Trace Elliot 4x10s that are a lot quieter than my 2x10. The Amp is probably a factor there as well. But it would be a factor in any set up.

[font=Arial]If you’re switching from a 410 to a 210 you’ll probably find the 1 cab won’t be loud enough. [/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
[font=Arial]2 210 cabs will give you 99% of what a 410 gives without the heavy lifting. [/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
[font=Arial]For loud gigs I use 2 210's and the tone and volume is great. [/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
[font=Arial]I mostly use 2 112 cabs though. I prefer the 210's but the 112's weigh even less. It’s a compromise I’m happy to make.[/font]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1346778284' post='1793120']
Maybe. I've never heard your 2x12, but I don't doubt that it's loud.
Fact is, a good 2x10 isn't quiet. I've used Trace Elliot 4x10s that are a lot quieter than my 2x10. The Amp is probably a factor there as well. But it would be a factor in any set up.
[/quote]

Its not that mine is loud (although it is and gets good reviews even by our resident guru's) it just that a 2x12 is more akin to a 4x10 so it would be a better contest against a Markbass 4x10 than a 2x10, I would not expect my 2x12 to match 2 2x12's stacked up for example.

From the OP I would say the options are;
2 2x10's
1 2x12
2 1x12's
:)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1346778222' post='1793116']
I use a 210 for small gigs and it copes really well. It doesn't generate the same amount of air pressure behind you as much as a 410 obviously and placing the cab on the stage whereby you can hear yourself clearly is a bit tricky. If you play with a drummer that doesn't hit that hard then a 210 will do the trick. I play in two bands and the 210 is ample for one band and the 410 has to come out for the other as that drummer strikes with a heck of a lot more gusto and everyone else in the band responds by turning up louder, so the 210 gets swamped a bit.
[/quote]
[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1346778222' post='1793116']
[/quote]

This ...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1346778555' post='1793126']
[font=Arial]If you’re switching from a 410 to a 210 you’ll probably find the 1 cab won’t be loud enough. [/font]

[font=Arial]2 210 cabs will give you 99% of what a 410 gives without the heavy lifting. [/font]

[font=Arial]For loud gigs I use 2 210's and the tone and volume is great. [/font]

[font=Arial]I mostly use 2 112 cabs though. I prefer the 210's but the 112's weigh even less. It’s a compromise I’m happy to make.[/font]
[/quote]

and this...

[quote name='Sub_Drop' timestamp='1346781588' post='1793182']
Cheers for all the helpful advice. I've just seen how much my cabinet weighs and it is quite heavy in my opinion so maybe a lighter 4x10 would be sufficient. The Mesa 2x12 powerhouse cabinet seems quite decent too.
[/quote]
I have a lightweight 410 for sale! Hintidy hint hint! ;) :D

Dan

I've gigged with a pair of GK Neo 1x12s and that was a great set up. Two smaller cabinets are an order of magnitude easier to fit into your car than one big one, even if they take up the same volume. I know they get recommended to death, but Barefaced may have your answer, have you thought about a Compact?