Why become a member? ×

Expensive gear expensive sound?

gjones

[size=4]I got the chance to use some classic gear while recording yesterday. The studio let me use their [color=#333333]all tube Ampeg SVT 2Pro, through the corresponding 1x15, and a 1977 Precision. What a sound! I was never one to be a gear snob and I was always a bit dubious about the idea that 'vintage' are better than 'modern' basses but that combination was something else.[/color][/size]

[color=#333333][size=6]I WANT!!!!![/size] I just can't afford the 3 or 4 grand I'd need to get that kind of gear :([/color]

[color=#333333]And I don't have the back to carry a 5 stone head up 3 flights of stairs to my flat.[/color]

[color=#333333]Out of interest,.... does anybody (who has used both) know if you can get that ampeg sound from one of their cheaper lighter amps.[/color]

Edited by gjones

I had a similar experience in a recording studio last year, got my filthy mitts on a vintage tube Fender Bassman with purple Marshall 4x10... best tone I've ever had. Cheaper gear can get very close indeed but there's that element of authenticity about old gear that I swear makes it sound slightly better.

You don't need to get as close with a live rig because the FoH sound won't reproduce it anything like as accurately as a recording, so don't feel like you have to buy a big tube amp and a spine-ruining cab to gig with.

I actually think the tube pre in my Shuttle sounds great when it's turned up. Others may disagree but I've been genuinely impressed with it. And that weighs under 2kg.

You will see I have a fair amount of gear similar to that you used. When I record I can use my Fender Japan 70's reissue and the Ampeg PF500 and 1x15 and get just as good a sound in the studio as if I used anything else.

You don't need to spend a fortune. I didn't, I just bought my stuff yonks ago when everyone wanted headless basses!!

I'm not sure a shuttle would do the job as well as a Streamliner? I prefer the shuttle but then I don't really like Ampegs! As for vintage basses, I'm sure they have something extra, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. A 15lb Fender is no fun for a 2 hour wedding set for example! On the other hand I'm yet to try an EBMM Ray that's as good as my pre EB one :)

Im sure you would get a similar sound from a good quality modern precision and all valve amp. Ive often thought that a precision works extra well with a valve amp, much better than with a solid state amp. I probably prefer all basses through valve amps but with a precision the difference is extra large in my opinion and i often find a p bass pretty rough with a solid state amp but with a good valve amp awesome sound. Maybe because when the p bass was designed they all used valve amps.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1346421752' post='1789063']
You don't need to get as close with a live rig because the FoH sound won't reproduce it anything like as accurately as a recording, so don't feel like you have to buy a big tube amp and a spine-ruining cab to gig with.

I actually think the tube pre in my Shuttle sounds great when it's turned up. Others may disagree but I've been genuinely impressed with it. And that weighs under 2kg.
[/quote]

It's true about live sound. I used exactly the same amp at a festival last Saturday and the sound out front was awful (for all the bassists that played that day not just for me).

Never played a 'vintage' Precision, but on the Rickenbacker front, I've found the 'old' outweighs the 'new'.

New ones sound great, almost like turbo-charged oldies....but what they increase in power, I find they lose in overall tone and charm.

I've had a more than a few, and have come down to 'old' side! :rolleyes:

You can get very near that old Ampeg sound with the PF-500 - I say that having recorded with both that, and an old SVT, and being pleasantly surprised at the PFs results. In a recorded mix it is surprisingly good. The studio engineer/producer, whose fave bass sound is Precision/Ampeg was also very appreciative in his comments. I`d expect the SVT-7PRO to be even better.

I agree about the older Precisions sounding better - but then that`s all subjective, some may hear them and think they sound weak and lifeless in comparison to the more modern sounding ones of today.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1346439364' post='1789339']
You can get very near that old Ampeg sound with the PF-500 - I say that having recorded with both that, and an old SVT, and being pleasantly surprised at the PFs results. In a recorded mix it is surprisingly good. The studio engineer/producer, whose fave bass sound is Precision/Ampeg was also very appreciative in his comments. I`d expect the SVT-7PRO to be even better.

I agree about the older Precisions sounding better - but then that`s all subjective, some may hear them and think they sound weak and lifeless in comparison to the more modern sounding ones of today.
[/quote]

Very interesting about the PF-500. I tried one about a year ago as part of a flip top and thought the combination was too middy for me. But then I went and bought a TC Electronic classic 450 from the same shop, which I disliked immensly, so what do I know?

Well I love the Ampeg sound now, but when I first heard it, that was my thoughts exactly, too middy, and no real low end to speak of. However, it`s what it does in the mix that has made me love it so much. Now I really love that sound, and how it just sits so nicely where it does - of course, I think using a Fender Precision with it has a lot to do with it - the pair really seem to just work together so well.

Re the PF-500 - may be worth having another try, and leave all eqs at midday, but then select the Deep button. It`s that sound that both myself, and the studio engineer think is so nice.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1346499421' post='1789907']

Re the PF-500 - may be worth having another try, and leave all eqs at midday, but then select the Deep button. It`s that sound that both myself, and the studio engineer think is so nice.
[/quote]

+1 eq is just right left as is

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1346581441' post='1790694']
Is the SVTII pro vintage now? I sort of considered them hold up example of the compromises in modern amp construction.
[/quote]

I think the engineer said they were introduced in the nineties so not 'vintage' ampeg but definitely 'expensive'.

I've had a number of Precisions over the last few years, from Fender / Lakland / Alleva Coppolo / Ibanez / Squier.

Comfortably the best-sounding (to my ears) and the one that most captures the "real" Precision sound is my '65 strung with LaBella FLs.

It doesn't really matter what rig I play through ... it always sounds like the epitome of a Precision bass. :P