Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1024X vs BB2024X

Clarky72

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1370608196' post='2103369']
Hmmmmm...ARE sounds a bit like "bollocky" gimic talk to me. Is it worth paying an extra grand for your average Joe Soap, even if it does play and sound a bit better?

Just wondering.
[/quote]

See below...

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1370426748' post='2100557']
It's not quite as simple as that, so I'll elaborate and clarify.

Wood treatment aside. The 2000s are luthier made in a workshop in small numbers to extremely high quality standards by highly skilled craftsmen and take many more man hours to complete. The 1000s, although extremely well finished, are factory made using mass production techniques and do not have the attention to detail throughout the process that the 2000s do.

The resulting products differ massively in feel and playability to a discerning player.

The difference between the two is significant and can be compared to the difference between a Standard US Fender and a Master Built Custom Shop Fender.
[/quote]

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1370608196' post='2103369']
Hmmmmm...ARE sounds a bit like "bollocky" gimic talk to me. Is it worth paying an extra grand for your average Joe Soap, even if it does play and sound a bit better?

Just wondering.
[/quote]

Just like Sean says , you get a lot more than just the ARE and IRA when you pay the extra . Whether it is worth more than a grand more depends on the priorities of the person buying , but my point is that if you are looking to spend money on a high-end bass for whatever reason , the Yamaha is actually a bit of a bargain when you compare it to other basses of similar quality , most of which cost a lot more . A full spec US Lakland , NYC Sadowsky or Mike Lull , for example , will easily set you back a grand and more than one of these Yamaha's at U.K prices , but these BB's are easily in the same league as all of them .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1370437166' post='2100801']
I'm not in anyway knocking those "discerning players" who have bought these basses and if money were no object I'm sure I'd buy one myself but I don't think I'm alone when I say I don't need the wow factor that the 202's offer. They are a nicety I can't afford and to be honest I think I'd be far too worried to gig something that expensive. I have been a Yamaha convert for years so I'm not knocking them or the people who buy their gear.
[/quote]

I think you have got it spot on when you point out that a lot ( probably most )olks don't want to spend that kind of money on a bass for a variety of reasons , and that is why it's great that the 1024/5 's are available at a much more affordable level and they sound, from what I have heard of them , to offer most what the more expensive basses do . I have never played the 10 series basses , but I am sure they will sound a feel very similar to their big brothers and knowing Yamaha , the quality will always be substantially better than you expect at that price .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370610908' post='2103427']
Just like Sean says , you get a lot more than just the ARE and IRA when you pay the extra . Whether it is worth more than a grand more depends on the priorities of the person buying , but my point is that if you are looking to spend money on a high-end bass for whatever reason , the Yamaha is actually a bit of a bargain when you compare it to other basses of similat quality , most of which cost a lot more . A full spec US Lakland , NYC Sadowsky or Mike Lull , for example , will easily set you back a grand and more than one of these Yamaha's at U.K prices , but these BB's are easily in the same league as all of them .
[/quote]
Fair enough...a sound rationale!

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1370718229' post='2104866']
Anyone think Yamaha should've reserved the pickups & bridge for the 20 basses rather than fitting the same to both 10 & 20. I'm sure this discussion wouldn't be happening if the weren't so similar.
[/quote]

If the 10 Series basses get anywhere close to the 20 Series - and from what I have heard , they do - then they are a seriously good deal .

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1370718229' post='2104866']
Anyone think Yamaha should've reserved the pickups & bridge for the 20 basses rather than fitting the same to both 10 & 20. I'm sure this discussion wouldn't be happening if the weren't so similar.
[/quote]

See revised quote below...

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1370426748' post='2100557']
It's not quite as simple as that, so I'll elaborate and clarify.

Pickups aside. The 2000s are luthier made in a workshop in small numbers to extremely high quality standards by highly skilled craftsmen and take many more man hours to complete. The 1000s, although extremely well finished, are factory made using mass production techniques and do not have the attention to detail throughout the process that the 2000s do.

The resulting products differ massively in feel and playability to a discerning player.

The difference between the two is significant and can be compared to the difference between a Standard US Fender and a Master Built Custom Shop Fender.
[/quote]

The pickups are pretty special but to not make them available in the factory-made instruments seems daft, it's like Fender putting generic pickups in the Mexican Roger Waters P-bass model instead of the SD Quarter Pounder.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1370435404' post='2100746']
Because they don't look (from a distance) like a boutique/luthier built bass, I think people underestimate their quality - you have to play them to really appreciate them.
[/quote]

Funny, I just made exactly that comment in a thread about my new one, looks like a £500 bass, plays like a £2500 bass (or, to be honest, a lot of £5000 basses)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1391857124' post='2361998']
Funny, I just made exactly that comment in a thread about my new one, looks like a £500 bass, plays like a £2500 bass (or, to be honest, a lot of £5000 basses)
[/quote]

"Those Yamahas are great beginners basses and real value for money but you ought to get some money together and get yourself a Fender Precision..." - Some bloke in South Wales social club to me a few years back after seeing my BB2025x in action :-)

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1391889036' post='2362384']

"Those Yamahas are great beginners basses and real value for money but you ought to get some money together and get yourself a Fender Precision..." - Some bloke in South Wales social club to me a few years back after seeing my BB2025x in action :-)
[/quote]

He obviously knows what he's on about, tw@.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1346269971' post='1787349']
...some people baulk at paying £2k for an instrument that is easily mistaken by Joe Public for a mid-range bass.
[/quote]

I'm quite sure Joe Public can't tell the difference between a bass of any sort and a banjo. :)

Great, now I've got GAS for a BB. :rolleyes:
Edit: Looks like there's no maple fretboard option, is this the case?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391892286' post='2362427']

I'm quite sure Joe Public can't tell the difference between a bass of any sort and a banjo. :)

[/quote]
You'll have to ask Peter, he ordered it. I'm a big rosewood fan anyway so it's spot on for me.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1391892988' post='2362437']
You'll have to ask Peter, he ordered it. I'm a big rosewood fan anyway so it's spot on for me.
[/quote]

I'm not a rosewood fan - which is actually a good thing - I really can't justify another bass! :)

[quote name='alhbass' timestamp='1391893043' post='2362438']
Just a great instrument. Except the shape of the headstock, which I've always thought somehow a little lame...
[/quote]

I like it - you certainly can't mistake it for anything else. :) Though I expect Joe Public would think it's a herring.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391892286' post='2362427']

[/quote]

Apparently you can get a 2024 with maple board...
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197099-yamaha-bb2024mx-is-mine-the-only-one/

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1391938732' post='2362710']
Apparently you can get a 2024 with maple board... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197099-yamaha-bb2024mx-is-mine-the-only-one/"]http://basschat.co.u...e-the-only-one/[/url]
[/quote]

Special order. Now I'm in trouble. :(

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1391938732' post='2362710']
Apparently you can get a 2024 with maple board...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197099-yamaha-bb2024mx-is-mine-the-only-one/"]http://basschat.co.u...e-the-only-one/[/url]
[/quote]

Which is now living with me :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1391857124' post='2361998']

[/quote]

Does this mean I can get a 1024 play the dog and duck and pretend ive got a 2.5k bass? ;-)
Seriously im tempted by the 1024/5
Im a p bass fan but like the build quality of the likes of sandberg
How close do these come?