Why become a member? ×

Out of the comfort zone!

barneyg42

I regularly play classic rock and blues but for a few weeks I've been learning a set of classic dance stuff for a dep gig on Saturday for some friends, Stevie Wonder, Brand New Heavies, Candi Staton, Celo, Donna Summer, Jocelyn Brown, Tina Turner etc. Some of it has been a bitch to learn (Masterblaster etc) after years of rock thrashing but it has be said I had a blast and my mates were well impressed. Just hope can hold it together on Saturday on one rehearsal!

young hearts run free, simply the best, hot stuff by any chance ? :D

everybody berates a lot of the cover band staples as being tedious pop songs barely more bearable than mustang sally but if you get the groove right you can pretty much guarantee the crowd will be enjoying themselves (unless youve been booked for a doomfest or something) - and they are rather fun and satisfying to play if you nail them just right - young hearts run free is a great one to flow and groove but make sure the drummist gets hot stuff at the correct tempo or you will end up with cramp in both hands after 3 minutes :lol:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1345625161' post='1779508']
young hearts run free, simply the best, hot stuff by any chance ? :D

everybody berates a lot of the cover band staples as being tedious pop songs barely more bearable than mustang sally but if you get the groove right you can pretty much guarantee the crowd will be enjoying themselves (unless youve been booked for a doomfest or something) - and they are rather fun and satisfying to play if you nail them just right - young hearts run free is a great one to flow and groove but make sure the drummist gets hot stuff at the correct tempo or you will end up with cramp in both hands after 3 minutes :lol:
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1345630072' post='1779606']
Playing "out of your comfort zone" pushes your brain and fingers to new levels of dexterity and is a very good thing.
[/quote]
I was playing Masterblaster using a pick as I couldn't get the speed then watched an online lesson and realised I was playing in the wrong area of the neck, changed position and it all came together with the fingers. It's a birthday party we are playing so dance floor music all the way. Makes a nice change from bashing out Bon Jovi, ACDC etc!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1345630072' post='1779606']
Playing "out of your comfort zone" pushes your brain and fingers to new levels of dexterity and is a very good thing.
[/quote]

And there's also nothing like the buzz of 'flying by the seat of your pants' live too. There have been dep gigs when I have had almost too many songs to learn in the alotted time prior to playing and sometimes lucky to get a full rehearsal in. But it's great when it all comes together and the gig goes well... Which it will! Have a great one!

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1345635758' post='1779732']
I was playing Masterblaster using a pick as I couldn't get the speed then watched an online lesson and realised I was playing in the wrong area of the neck, changed position and it all came together with the fingers. It's a birthday party we are playing so dance floor music all the way. Makes a nice change from bashing out Bon Jovi, ACDC etc!
[/quote]

Yeah different positions on the neck make sense for different people.
My friend plays the second solo down the 10th/12/10/13/10/13/10 area of the neck, whilst I do it 10/7/10/7/10/8/10/8.
The important thing to learn is that they are pentatonic scales and the shapes etc suddenly fit into a HELL OF A LOT of music and other Stevie Stuff. (look at Sir Duke for example)

had a similar thing this week... i'm normally a rock player but was asked to step in at short notice with a 9 piece 70's funk/soul band - very little time to learn the songs and half a rehearsal later i only really dropped the ball once. Made a very nice change to play some of those kinda basslines, and the band were impressed that i played all the twiddly bit in Sir Duke... their regular bass player just drops out for that part apparently!!

Tightest gig I ever played was after just one rehearsal, because I was RELAXED. I'm sure you'll have a great time! And just remember - if you lose it, just improvise ;) I had to do Chameleon (Hancock) at the weekend after one 5 minute rehersal - wasn't engrained enough, sowhen I started to lose it I just worked around it instead and it turned into a cracking version!

And you'll be dead comfy with your new strap on :D

Most of the stuff I learn with my teacher is rock and blues based, as he knows that's my music of choice.
However sometimes he forces me out of the comfort zone - I've done a bit of reggae and a bit of jazz with him and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now I'm learning 'Good Times' by Chic. Not something I would ever have voluntarily listened to, but now I think it's great! What a fantastic bass line, I'm really loving learning it :)

It's great having your horizons expanded.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1345724053' post='1780858']
Most of the stuff I learn with my teacher is rock and blues based, as he knows that's my music of choice.
However sometimes he forces me out of the comfort zone - I've done a bit of reggae and a bit of jazz with him and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now I'm learning 'Good Times' by Chic. Not something I would ever have voluntarily listened to, but now I think it's great! What a fantastic bass line, I'm really loving learning it :)

It's great having your horizons expanded.
[/quote]

Anything Chic and Bernard Edwards is to be admired and played, I do noodle along at home to some Chic occasionally, if I end up on this band's call up list I'll suggest a bit of Chic to them, guitarist and singer are father and daughter and old friends so I'm sure they won't mind a suggestion or two! It's been a real eye opener to have to do it properly rather than messing around at home, I love my rock stuff and don't really have to think about it but getting the notes and the groove of the dance stuff is giving me a new confidence.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1345725903' post='1780893']
Anything Chic and Bernard Edwards is to be admired and played[/quote]

I have to admit to my shame I knew nothing about him before learning 'Good Times'. So I've been doing a bit of googling to educate myself.
What a talent! Although I have to admit I could never learn to love 'I'm Coming Out'. You have to draw the line somewhere, lol :ph34r:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1345726696' post='1780907']

I have to admit to my shame I knew nothing about him before learning 'Good Times'. So I've been doing a bit of googling to educate myself.
What a talent! Although I have to admit I could never learn to love 'I'm Coming Out'. You have to draw the line somewhere, lol :ph34r:
[/quote]

Bernard.....sadly missed! :(

Well, just hit the sack after what was a cracking gig! 50th birthday party in a large marquee so the sound for me wasn't great but still we had a blast. Hardly dropped the ball at all through the night, second set was full dance floor all the way. It has to be said the drummer Alex, a very old friend I hadn't played with and seen for ages, was depping on the same one rehearsal as me and did a grand job. Plenty of good feedback afterwards from the main guys (and girly singer) so definitely on the call up list.
So time for bed and back to the good old rawk for tomorrow nights gig, gigged Friday too so a 3 gig weekend, good to earn some extra dosh too........now what am I gassing for!