Why become a member? ×

Holding tension when you play

debwilliams

I've begun to notice that when I'm playing things that are more challenging I'm holding tension in my jaw. I was playing tonight and was really aware by the end of it that I was closing my jaw very tightly shut after concentrating for what seemed like eternity - it was in reality only for 6 minutes and 23 seconds :lol:

Anyone share my pain?? Have any suggestions how to sort this out or just how play Floyd's Money perfectly without breaking my jaw?

Cheers

Deb

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1345586081' post='1779257']
I'll do both of those - I'm hoping that it will work just as well with Gentleman Jack / JD or Jamesons?

Many thanks
[/quote]

well you'll have to use an extra 'e' to describe your technique on here.... but it could work

I have the terrible habit of holding my breath when I'm concentrating. I didn't even realise until bandmates pointed it out. Though it's fairly obvious when your head has gone purple after a long technical piece. Sometimes I chew my tongue too, which used to get me into trouble at school where chewing gum was banned.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1345587586' post='1779298']
I have the terrible habit of holding my breath when I'm concentrating. I didn't even realise until bandmates pointed it out. Though it's fairly obvious when your head has gone purple after a long technical piece. Sometimes I chew my tongue too, which used to get me into trouble at school where chewing gum was banned.
[/quote]

Chew your tongue ??? :o

Sounds horribly painful!

I'm just trying to imagine a line up of gurning bassists :lol: :lol:

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1345587826' post='1779302']
Chew your tongue ??? :o

Sounds horribly painful!

I'm just trying to imagine a line up of gurning bassists :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
Yup. I don't know why I do it but I've been doing it at least since I was about 6.

The holding my breath thing is not so much about concentration but when I do physical things. The tattooist that did my chest remarked at how long I can hold my breath for, especially as I'm such an unfit fatty.

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1345585769' post='1779248']
I've begun to notice that when I'm playing things that are more challenging I'm holding tension in my jaw. I was playing tonight and was really aware by the end of it that I was closing my jaw very tightly shut after concentrating for what seemed like eternity - it was in reality only for 6 minutes and 23 seconds :lol:

Anyone share my pain?? Have any suggestions how to sort this out or just how play Floyd's Money perfectly without breaking my jaw?

Cheers

Deb
[/quote]

The fact that you are aware of this is a good start. Some people dont realise they are tensing up until later on, when they experience pain.

Before you play, try breathing in and out deeply and slowly ( in through the nose, out through the mouth) for a couple of minutes. While it is not easy when you are concentrating on the music, try to be aware of tension in the body. Breathing deeply and slowly while playing, helps to relax the whole body.

Edited by Coilte

Its a battle.

But remaining calm even when tackling tricky pieces is a hiuge part of maintaining a good groove IMO.

If you get tense in your jaw (I gurn like a moron when I get too far into it) you are likely to also be getting tense in your forea\rms and hands, and that definitely will affect how you play,m and therefore how you sound. The more tense you are the slower your maximum bpm at any given groove tends to be as well.

Practise slowly, bring the tempo up a couple of bpm at a time from well below where you normally play a line, and really concentrate on remaining calm, and not plucking the strings too hard as well.

Thanks so much, really appreciate your feedback. I'm playing with the track at regular speed so I'm really having to give it some to keep timing as it should be. I should use Audacity or similar to slow it down to give myself a better chance I guess.

It's a song I adore along with all things Floyd so I want to get this nailed.

Cheers guys x

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1345585769' post='1779248']
I've begun to notice that when I'm playing things that are more challenging I'm holding tension in my jaw.[/quote]

Is this not the oft-encountered [i]bass face[/i]?

I pout my lips like an 80's glam rock star when I get going. The only saving grace is that the drummer [i]gurns[/i], which draws the eye from my own efforts.

Try some basic relaxation techniques, of course; however, I think the trick will be practice, practice and practice. I only ever really seem to relax when I know my stuff. Once you nail it, try challenging yourself - playing it whilst moving, etc. The confidence and, in large part, competence and muscle memory, I find allow me to unlock other parts of my performance.

When I started, I couldn't move and play - now you can't keep me still; I couldn't sing and play - now you can't shut me up; etc.

I noticed a while ago that I was clenching my teeth when I played the double bass but a little bit of time focussed on 'not' doing so cured it reasonably quickly. The fact that you are now aware that you are doing this means that you will probably start to stop doing it soon enough.

Thanks again peeps. I move around lots when I play and generally have lots of fun . Debs (Spacechick) has seen me play so might be able to offer some comment about general tension.

I do find this much more effort than anything I've chosen to play previously and I do enjoy playing to the best of my ability i.e I am quite tough on myself. I think loads of listening, effective practice and an effort to relax are needed here (JD too)!

As for bass face ... shouldn't that be kept for crucial moments and not last for entire tracks??? I'll need new teeth by the time I'm ready to join David Gilmour on his next tour.

Hey Debs,

I know what you mean. I used to contort my chops when I was playing the 'cello? I don't believe I do that whilst playing bass, but you'd know as you've seen it???

I think it may have been to do with concentrating on intonation which of course you don't struggle with on a fretted bass. What's the story on Gentleman Jack - seen it but not tried it yet? Our guitarist reckons it's a lot smoother than regular jack?

BTW, I'm a huge Floyd fan too and love playing Comfortably Numb to relax too........glass of jack in one hand!

LC

Hi Gary ... All sounding good! Comfortably Numb and Gentleman Jack ... a moment to savour. Treat yourself and get a bottle . Seriously, even the empty bottle is worth keeping, it's quite beautiful. I put bubble bath in mine! Back to the contents ... very smooth, mellow and for sipping. Too nice to mix with anything. Except Floyd. Shine On / High Hopes / Have A Cigar / add your favourite

I didn't notice you making any funny faces ... perhaps if you'd have played Money you might have!

The Gurning Cellist ... sounds like a great place for a pint!

Money. A great tune and fun to play. Not a really demanding piece though, so, are you sure you are playing it right? I don't mean the notes I mean the fingering. The second and third notes are raked but apart from the 7/4 time sig. should be fairly easy. If you read, PM me and I will be happy to email the transcription I have, Basically the first bar begins on a B, 2nd fret on the A (3rd string), An octave B, 4th fret of the G string (1st string), F# on the 4th fret D of the string (2nd string), Back to first note a B 2nd fret on the A string, F# 2nd fret on the E string (4th string), an open A string (3rd string), first note again , an open D (2nd string). Repeat 9 times etc. Regarding the odd time signature it may also help if you count 1,2,3,4.1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3 etc.

As regards the fingering: I would play the following
1st note- First finger
2nd and 3rd notes-4th finger (rake)
4th note - 1st finger
5th note - 1st finger
6th note = 0 fingers
7th note = 1st finger
8th note = 0 fingers

As you can see for the first section, all in one position so there is no reason why this can't be played with your eyes closed (very relaxing).

The rest of the piece is fairly straight forward with the furthest left hand shifting from the 7th position back to the 2nd position. The majority of the walking bass section when it changes to 4/4 can be played with just a one fret shift between notes.

Sorry if I sound condescending, I can assure you I am not.

Diolch Yn Fawr

Edited by wal4string

Hi and thank you. Def don't find your reply condescending in any way. It's really helpful. Will pm you.

I think I'm concentrating on keeping the timing spot on, not rushing and probably just trying too hard. I'll look at your reply when I practice tonight. I don't find playing it difficult if I break it down into sections, the issue is more me getting very tense when I'm concentrating playing along with the track. As I'm writing this I'm realising lots of this is derived from me rushing. Next purchase will be a metronome to use during practice.

Cheers!

Deb

Metronome is a must IMHO :)

Here is a suggestion for combating tension while you play. Take a simple exercise (e.g a scale/arpeggio exercise. something you are very comfortable with), put the metronome on very slow (e.g crotchets at 80bpm) and focus on relaxing while you play it. Obviously focus on your playing, but first and foremost, concentrate on keeping all your muscle groups really relaxed. slow your breathing down, breath in time to the metronome

when you're happy with that, apply the same thing to the money bass line, work it at half tempo and slowly build it up, making sure you stay relaxed while you play it.

See what you think :)

Thanks once again, really appreciate all your comments.

I played last night, just me with no CD and slowed down a bit. No tension. Picked up some speed and still ok. I've been fine with playing the notes themselves it's all about the speed so it's good that this is something I can work on.

Chewing gum is a great idea! Thanks!

Can see what I need to do, you have all really helped.

Cheers. Have a great Bank Holiday weekend xxxx