Why become a member? ×

Kid Charlemagne

Pete Academy

This track is, in my opinion, Chuck Rainey's masterpiece. In interviews he would probably agree. Apparently a first take. This song has been in our set from day one, so I've been playing it for fifteen years. I tend to put some of my own slant on it, but have often thought I should play it as Chuck did, especially as we are a tribute band. I've listened to various versions and they all seem to differ. Lately I've been studying the bass part more and more, and discover bits I've missed or got wrong.

Anyone else struggled with this. Should it be played perfectly or just with the same feel?

Edited by Pete Academy

Tom Barney isn't a slave to Chuck's lines and neither should you be IMO. I find I have to put my own slant on stuff, especially SD tunes, in order for it to groove, otherwise I find myself being a bit robotic.

I agree with you Pete , that this is a masterful piece of work by Chuck Rainey , and I salute the fact that you are able to tackle it at all! I cannot think of a better example of a bassline that sounds reasonably straightforward on first hearing, but when you sit down to try and have a go at it yourself turns out to be a much more daunting prospect. What a player and what a performance.
I think both approaches you outline are perfectly o.k - who's to say that Chuck wouldn't throw in the odd change or ad lib if he was playing the song again now- but I suppose the more you know of the original version, the more you could work it in to your own rendition. It sounds like you are only talking about the finer points of the line anyway.
I've seen video of Nearly Dan on this site and always been full of admiration for the playing of all the musicians. The thought has crossed my mind on who the target audience would be for a Steely Dan tribute band would be. I have been loving the Dan for nearly the last thirty years since a guitarist friend really got me into them, but I know some people find their music a bit esoteric . To people used to listening to more mainstream pop music the more sophisticated approach of Becker and Fagen can be hard to enjoy, in my experience. I would be genuinely interested to know what kind of venues/ functions are booking your band.; whoever it is it must be someone who has good taste. Obviously they are, because the band have been working for 15 years,

It's a really great bass line, I used it to audition to get into Uni 6 years back along with a Jamerson bass part. I tend not to get too caught up in the complications of the bass part, it's far too extensive and I've never had the time to bother really!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1345065973' post='1773223']
Never heard it before. I'm just waiting to hear if there's a part that De La Soul sampled or something (that's the only reason I know what 'Peg' sounds like).

So far I don't like it. It doesn't seem to go anywhere, or have any killer hook or anything. Maybe why De La Soul never sampled it. :D
[/quote]

If it's hip-hop you like to relate a song to, then someone bigger than De La Soul sampled it a few years back. I disagree on it not being hooky, I reckon the chorus is definitely a strong hook, albeit a specific type of hook.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAP02bbwvO0[/media]

One of my favourite songs from my favourite Dan album...

Never tried to learn the bassline, but I reckon like most of their stuff it's all about the groove...I certainly wouldn't get too hung up on the specifics. I did learn most of Peg once as an exercise, made me realise what a great player Chuck Rainey was.

Is there gas in the car? Yes there's gas in the car....

Killer groove on this track - To be honest with all the ins and outs going on, its the sort of track that would be played slightly different each time.
Its a great set of changes to player over, and its just Chuck R knowing his way around them like top player he is.
Love the Piano intro chords, I also think its got a great hook to.

A band I play with from time to time does this number, and i don't think I have never played the same thing twice.
Do your own thing.

Garry

I'd love to play it! The notation for it is on the internet, I should probably get round to learning it. It sounded great when I saw you play it Pete, Im looking forward to hearing it again when ND are at the SageGateshead again.

I've just got the hang of Josie and Peg, they're great tracks to play to.

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1345131246' post='1774049']

I've just got the hang of Josie and Peg, they're great tracks to play to.
[/quote]I love the groove on Josie, especially the bridge before the solo and the way it melts back into the verse. Genius.

Great part, Pete... I think there is loads of room to mess with this and still get all the best bits in.... the key to the song is the great piano and drums anyway... but, tbf, everyone gets a decent crack at it...
The bass just has to keep it moving...which is no given as this could get pretty dirgy if you don't get to breathe AND swing

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr2D4Pwn58"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr2D4Pwn58[/url]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1345132582' post='1774074']
I love the groove on Josie, especially the bridge before the solo and the way it melts back into the verse. Genius.
[/quote]
That bar of 3 at the end with the snare fill, dukka dak dukka dak! It's so nice to listen to!

Dan

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1345204289' post='1774919']
[i]Still [/i]trying to nail the guitar solo on this. It's a thing of beauty when Larry Carlton plays it, just a thing when I try!
Does NDs guitarist play it verbatim from the record?
[/quote]

Yes, he does. It's too much of a classic solo not to.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1345128566' post='1773971']
I agree with you Pete , that this is a masterful piece of work by Chuck Rainey , and I salute the fact that you are able to tackle it at all! I cannot think of a better example of a bassline that sounds reasonably straightforward on first hearing, but when you sit down to try and have a go at it yourself turns out to be a much more daunting prospect. What a player and what a performance.
I think both approaches you outline are perfectly o.k - who's to say that Chuck wouldn't throw in the odd change or ad lib if he was playing the song again now- but I suppose the more you know of the original version, the more you could work it in to your own rendition. It sounds like you are only talking about the finer points of the line anyway.
I've seen video of Nearly Dan on this site and always been full of admiration for the playing of all the musicians. The thought has crossed my mind on who the target audience would be for a Steely Dan tribute band would be. I have been loving the Dan for nearly the last thirty years since a guitarist friend really got me into them, but I know some people find their music a bit esoteric . To people used to listening to more mainstream pop music the more sophisticated approach of Becker and Fagen can be hard to enjoy, in my experience. I would be genuinely interested to know what kind of venues/ functions are booking your band.; whoever it is it must be someone who has good taste. Obviously they are, because the band have been working for 15 years,
[/quote]

We've played just about everywhere around the country, good and bad. We play more theatre-style gigs these days. We do the odd private function, too.

Just listened to the live version posted on here and I'm warming to it. The studio version I heard a while back seemed a bit erm, iffy? Can't remember what it was that put me off, but I seem to recall it wasn't a good listen.

Maybe I'll try again...

Just been listening and playing along to this track again, you really do tend to forget just how good Chuck Rainey is sometimes. There's a real sense of space in the bass part but there's a lot of content there at the same time. Rhythmically and harmonically complex, but absolutely perfect for the song and still managing to be understated.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1345227425' post='1775337']
Herrington doesn't play the recorded solo. Saying that, Becker and Fagen can do what they like with their own songs. I always love to hear that solo, though.
[/quote]

No...that is what I meant by chops..and I doubt Becker and Fagen would want the solo ripped ...as they would expect more from the guys they bring in.
I like that approach myself where you take the track as a template and then move it on...but that does depend on 1) having a killer player on the solo, and 2) the audience letting you get away wih that.
For a SD tribute band, that must be a close call as the original guys are always top-notch... damned if you do and damned if you don't.
If you don't rip it..some idiot is going to assume you can't... ????