• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Logic behind your chain?

Oscar South

Personally I run:

Bass (makes sounds)
|
v
Boss CS3 w/Monte Allums mod ('gets the job done', I just use this to smooth out the signal, I usually turn it off for basic finger playing though)
|
v
MXR M80 (distortion/tone shaping, always after compressor, If I'm running through a good PA I often run the parallel out to the bass amp and use it as a clean channel)
|
v
EHX Q-Tron+ (funkfize!, I only really use a basic auto-wah setting and I don't really use it that often, its a fun gimmick for once or twice a set)
|
v
EXH Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai (just fun, its got no 'real' uses but the looper can be great fun and the delays and mod can be useful for soloing/jamming)

Bass....

wireless reciever...

Bass wah...(here for easy access)

zoom 506 in a seperate loop switched by a boss ls2...

Boss ce2 chorus...Here for easy access...

hartke vxl...di/overdrive after wah and chorus for funkyness and so they go through the di...

boss ds1...rarely used unless annoyed...

boss compressor...here so it tames peaks from wah and flanger etc and volume jump from overdrive and because i find compression essential for my style...

boss ns2 noisegate to reduce hiss etc from other pedals, and also last because it has two outputs should i need em

I have a clean blend, to retain clarity etc, then all in a noise gate:

Octaver

EQ mid boost - to help me cut through, or give me more grit from the next pedals

LS-2 blending

Loop A > Compressor for sustain and punch, ODB-3 for uber low end and a bit of OD dirt

Loop B > AW-2 with exp pedal for weird and funky wah sounds > Zvex wah for sweet sweeps and funk soloing > B2.1U for OD, Delay+wah, Phaser etc etc
>Ibanez chorus/dist box for awful nasty OD tones.

LS-2> EQ Low end boost for when I require that extra bottom > Limiter to control peaks > back to the noise gate > Digital Delay > Amps

I do have another loop on there, and sometimes i'll use whammy instead of octaver, or sometimes both, but the above describes the logic of my tone shaping (hopefully).

I run Bass into tuner > cream pie (light OD sounds) > BYOC large Beaver (heavy distortion/fuzzy sounds) > guyatone EQ pedal (midrange boost to even out scoop of sansamp and add some growl) > Dod chorus (chorusy sounds) > Aphex PF comp (tighten things up if need be) > SansAmp BDDI (tone shaping/DI/splitter) > Amp

Wireless (rarely used, only when live) > Sansamp (on 90% of the time) > Boss ODB-3 (for more drive) > Boss CEB3 > Boss TU-2 (some people say that it should be before the sansamp to mute both output and DI, but i use my ashdown DI) > Presonus Bluemax Comp.

Thats my chain, ive moved things around, tried it all in different layouts, but this ones always worked.

ok ill play going from start to finish:

bass

cream pie as said above light overdrive good for making solid state amps sound valvy and nice. first so it can influence/boost everything else

Huckleberry fuzz is my traditional fuzz nice and smooth i think it sounds better near the start of the chain

boss fz-2 industrial sounding fuzz sounds amazing

mule distortion just a good distortion use it alot

boss ceb3 hate it dont like it sounds artificial but i need chorus so until i can afford something it will have to stay

belcat delay cheap delay but quite nice use quite a bit

compressor self explanatory at the end of chain so it dosnt send a compressed signal into effects

finally a tu2 cant go wrong with one of them shame its not TB tho

My chain is simplicty and flexibility..
The whole thing is racked and cabling is very short indeed.

Active bass > TC Electronic C300 > TC Gforce > MarkBass F1 > Epifani UL610
(Multi band/parallel compression > AMAZING limitless effects > clean musical preamp > uber light power amp > stonking air movement and great sounding cab!)

The Gforce has more effects and routing options than I am ever likely to use and probably why it is the only piece of gear I have never changed in many years of recording and playing. I beleive it is one of the best studio processors out there, still.

Oh.. and I have a Sansamp on the way!

Give me some money Dood!

[quote name='metaltime' post='188550' date='Apr 29 2008, 11:44 PM']boss ceb3 hate it dont like it sounds artificial but i need chorus so until i can afford something it will have to stay[/quote]

I really like the chorus on digitech's whammies, and you could do with an octaver :)

[quote name='dood' post='188679' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:27 AM']Lol.. I have gotten used to a diet of bread and water over the years ;o)[/quote]

No cheese? Oh the poverty. I'd have some sympathy, but then my rig is far too cheap and noisy compared to yours...

Bass

Fulltone Bass Drive

Akai Deep Impact

EBS Bass IQ Envelope Filter - I put it here in my chain because it opens up the possibilities from the Deep Impact

Boss DD20 - a bit of a tone sucker but I use a lot of the features very regularly

DBX 160A compressor - in my effects loop on my amp, I strangely seem to get the best results from it being there

Is the EBS IQ a dynamic envelope follower? You should have that first if so IMHO

Do you not have the DD20 in a loop because of the way the delay decays when you turn off a patch (I don't know if it does this)? I bet someone could design you a box to put it in a loop so it wont suck your tone until it's on, but when you switch the loop off you still get the decay at the end.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='188781' date='Apr 30 2008, 01:12 PM']Is the EBS IQ a dynamic envelope follower? You should have that first if so IMHO

Do you not have the DD20 in a loop because of the way the delay decays when you turn off a patch (I don't know if it does this)? I bet someone could design you a box to put it in a loop so it wont suck your tone until it's on, but when you switch the loop off you still get the decay at the end.[/quote]

The EBS is a dynamic envelope follower yes, but I wouldn't put it before anything. I like my filters after gain so you get the big squelchy synth sound :)

Also, I'm pretty sure that making a TB loop to stop tone sucking WILL NOT allow trails to come through...

mine is pretty damn simple

bass

jacques trinity

boss odb-3

single loop pedal with zoom b2.1u in

amp

distortion after filter for me always, sounds so cool :) i have the b2.1u in the loop so that its easier to bypass, and so i can change banks without having it in my chain (owners will know what i mean).

bish bash bosh, easily as good as some of the big pedal boards iv had in the pasrt

Edited by BassManKev

My board changes on almost a weekly basis... But the principles are usually the same.

All the fun true-bypass fuzzes that want to interact with my pickups at the front, with a true-bypass boost just in case. Then everything that isn't true bypass attached via loopers. Main EHX delay last (there's a shorted analogue delay in a loop to d slapback), then TU-2 to act as a buffer and kill oscillation for tuning if need be, then pre-amp.

That usually works...

This is an update for this week as I'm always chopping and changing.

Bass >>>

Boss TU2 - for tuning up and muting the lot

Boss AW3 - I use this a lot. It's on it's basic auto wah setting. It's the dogs surprisingly.

Boss CEB3 - mainly for soloing and the odd "sensitive" number.

TC Electronic Vintage Bass Distortion - which drives>>>

>>>EHX Bassballs - for a great synth sound. Hardly use the BB on it's own.

(The TC also has a boost switch which gives me all the grind/distortion madness I'll ever need)

Hartke VXL Bass Attack (always on pretty much, on "shape". I use the on/off for that "extra 10%". Have used this on it's own for a couple of electro acoustic gigs)

>>>Amp

Alesis 3630 Comp through my fx loop. Never mind the negative hype, this is a great compressor when you learn how to use it.

However, I have a few distortion pedals (DS1, ODB3, Muff) and am always on the lookout for the next envelope filter. I like to have a filter either side of my distortion (AW3 - TC - Bassballs) just for hell of it.

ps-3 (best tracking) - octoplus ( best tracking) - modded big muff(sounds great as od into fuzz) - pickle pie(sounds great after of) - cream pie (sounded best after fuzz and always have it on with epic volume boost) - AXL chorus (modulation at the end sounds best) - small stone(same as AXL)

[quote name='Higgie' post='188986' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:50 PM']The EBS is a dynamic envelope follower yes, but I wouldn't put it before anything. I like my filters after gain so you get the big squelchy synth sound :)

Also, I'm pretty sure that making a TB loop to stop tone sucking WILL NOT allow trails to come through...[/quote]

I like filters after a bit of dirt too, but I have the choice of before AND after. Obviously the pedal is designed to respond to your dynamics, and you loose a lot of your dynamics if you apply distortion.

I wasn't talking about a standard TB loop. It could be a TB loop where the output of the pedal is always connected, and the footswitch just turns the input on and off. For example, I use an AB switch to switch between two loops, but I use (don't laugh) a double headphone adaptor to merge back the two loops, so that i'm only switching the inputs, and I get my trails.

I was actually thinking of a little timer circuit on a 2 footswitch 1 loop pedal. I might draw it up, but I probably haven't got time.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='189511' date='May 1 2008, 10:13 AM']I like filters after a bit of dirt too, but I have the choice of before AND after. Obviously the pedal is designed to respond to your dynamics, and you loose a lot of your dynamics if you apply distortion.

I wasn't talking about a standard TB loop. It could be a TB loop where the output of the pedal is always connected, and the footswitch just turns the input on and off. For example, I use an AB switch to switch between two loops, but I use (don't laugh) a double headphone adaptor to merge back the two loops, so that i'm only switching the inputs, and I get my trails.

I was actually thinking of a little timer circuit on a 2 footswitch 1 loop pedal. I might draw it up, but I probably haven't got time.[/quote]

Ah I see. Cool idea. :)

Boss TU2 - for tuning

Boss LS2 - to split my signal into effects and grit signals (both loops always on)

LS2 loop A -

EHX English Muff'n (loaded with 12AX7's) - always on for my grit channel

(End loop A)

LS2 loop B -

EHX Micro Q-tron - for the funky stuff and a bit bit of random weirdness here and there

Boss NS2 - To shut up my extremely noisy dirt pedal when required

NS2 loop -

Sansamp GT2 - Above mentioned dirt pedal, for when things get heavy.

Sansamp Programmable BDDI - Always on, sometimes with overdrive, sometimes without.

Behringer BEQ700 - Cheap and nasty looking/feeling pedal, to add back some mids that my Bass Driver sucks. A tad noisy but works okay with the NS2.

(End of NS2 loop)

Danelectro Cool Cat - Adds some nice deep, lush chorus, or nice and subtle per your requirements. I can never decide whether or not to leave this on all the time.

(End loop :)

Bass (US Jazz) ---->

Korg DT10 pedal tuner ---->

DHA VT2 Dual Custom RM ---->

Markbass Little Mark 2 ---->

GK Neo Cabs

I used to run a Cool Cat chorus, Digitech Bass Synth Wah, EHX Hot Tubes, DOD250 overdrive, and DOD DFX9 delay, and then realised that for my band sound all I needed was a bit of grit - everything else I tended to use messing about between songs.

I decided to streamline and just keep the essentials, that being a tuner (the Korg is brilliant, IMO) and an overdrive (in this case, to minimise pedals lying around I decided to invest in Dave Hall's rackmount VT2 Dual Custom, which I fitted with a lower gain first stage valve). Works for me!

Boss TU-2 - er, tuning & mute
-
EBS MultiComp - I don't want to compress the fuzz in case I need a bit of extra volume with it
-
Ashdown Hyperdrive - fuzz
-
Sansamp Para Driver DI - used as a clean / mid boost when needed (carefully though, 'cos the ABM's preamp is delicately set to give just the right amount of valveyness) and as a back-up should me amp give up.

DI pre-eq from the front of the ABM

Interesting to see that a few people run their comp after distortion, I read or was told a while back that its much less effective that way as its much harder to compress a distorted signal than a clean one (something to do with all the extra overtones the distortion creates or something).