Why become a member? ×

* * * NEW SQUIER TELECASTER BASS * * *

Grand Wazoo

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1345747706' post='1781255']
Now time for two dumbass questions. If you change the neck on this to one from one of the other Telecaster basses (a) would it make the scale longer ( B) would you still be able to play notes on it, or would the frets now be in the wrong places?
[/quote]

I think you would be able to change it for a square heel Tele-Bass neck. Not 100% sure as to the science of the fret/scale length and that, but I think the longer bit would make her very neck heavy.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1345747706' post='1781255']
Now time for two dumbass questions. If you change the neck on this to one from one of the other Telecaster basses (a) would it make the scale longer ( B) would you still be able to play notes on it, or would the frets now be in the wrong places?
[/quote]

if the neck you replace is longer yes the scale would be longer and your tuning will be incorrect unless you have enough room to move the bridge back which is not difficult if you do this:

1) Accurately measure the distance between the nut and and the 12th fret and then use those exact dimension between the 12th fret and the new placement for the bridge (make sure all the saddles are set parallel and in the exact middle of their max movement back and forward, as you you can fine tune those later), then...
2) fill the old bridge fixing holes with wood plugs and wood glue and then redrill new bridge fixing holes in the correct position.

Robert is your dad's brother!! :D

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1344300764' post='1762591']
[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/search.php/?partno=0325212507"]http://www.fender.co...rtno=0325212507[/url]

Squier is very proud to introduce its new Telecaster Bass Special, which presents an exciting new sonic and stylish twist on a long-familiar design.
Its time-honored body and headstock shape are well balanced by a comfortable medium scale length (32") that will appeal to bassists and guitarists alike. Remarkable tonal versatility comes from its large chrome-covered Fender®-designed Wide Range humbucking neck pickup, Duncan Designed™ JB-102B single-coil Jazz Bass® bridge pickup, and three-way blade switching (both pickups together and each pickup individually).
Other distinctive features include black "barrel" switch tip, knurled chrome control knobs, vintage style bridge with four chrome saddles, vintage-style tuners and strap buttons, and single-ply pickguard (white on Black model, black on Vintage Blonde model).

[/quote]
How did I miss this!
Perfect!

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1346168439' post='1786028']
Andertons have a couple of each of these new basses in [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid25414/cid682/squier-vintage-modified-telecaster-bass-in-vintage-blonde.asp"]stock[/url]
[/quote]
Different:

• 1 month later...

Got me a black one of these from Absolute music last week. gota say its a very nicely made bass, didnt have to tweak anything at all and i mean anything!! All screws done up tight (unlike my mustang which came with a buz n a lose neck) No buzzing from the frets or electrical hum. Paint work as good as gold and the finish on the neck is superbe.
Only down side, its a bit heavy. Tone wise, I realy like it. The humbucker at the neck is fat and just a bit muddy in a nice way. the jaz at the bridge is bright, but the output is quite noticably les than the neck pickup. together the sound is very nice.
Im thinking im guna have to get the single pickup version in blond too.
Still got the roundwounds on her at the mo but im thinking tape wounds might be the way to go
PS Dose Iron man very well on the mudbucker

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1344331676' post='1762785']
They've only just been announced yesterday on the Fender Newsletter, I bet it will probably sell for around £300-£350
[/quote]

They're out over here, for $299. The Fender web site has a video of the thing being played.

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1349727625' post='1829812']
Got me a black one of these from Absolute music last week. gota say its a very nicely made bass, didnt have to tweak anything at all and i mean anything!! All screws done up tight (unlike my mustang which came with a buz n a lose neck) No buzzing from the frets or electrical hum. Paint work as good as gold and the finish on the neck is superbe.
Only down side, its a bit heavy. Tone wise, I realy like it. The humbucker at the neck is fat and just a bit muddy in a nice way. the jaz at the bridge is bright, but the output is quite noticably les than the neck pickup. together the sound is very nice.
Im thinking im guna have to get the single pickup version in blond too.
Still got the roundwounds on her at the mo but im thinking tape wounds might be the way to go
PS Dose Iron man very well on the mudbucker
[/quote]

I'm seriously choking on one of these - first I thought/ black/white then the white/black special version and now I'm thinking the single pick-up- God I annoy myself!!

Good to hear about it - what about the scale - does it feel small?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1346178791' post='1786211']
I saw the single pup model in GAK this weekend. It looked OK, but meh,didn't try it. Looked like a bit of a toy. Had a bang on a £2.6K Gretsch instead B)
[/quote]

I went in there this weekend and tried it out. It wasn't brilliant, thought the string they had on it were pretty much dead. tried the Squier Classic Vibes single coil one and was extremely impressed. A/B-ed it against a Mex 50's reissue P bass and it actually sounded better. I'm definitely thinking about picking that up.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1349769679' post='1830148']
I'm seriously choking on one of these - first I thought/ black/white then the white/black special version and now I'm thinking the single pick-up- God I annoy myself!!

Good to hear about it - what about the scale - does it feel small?
[/quote]

Im a big big fan of short scale basses, so to me it feels fine. moved to short scales to help combat a neck problem i have. couldnt belive how much i like the feel, ballence and sound. Most of the things you will read about shorts are bull. there just as deep, the strings are not floppy and you can drop tune. I have three now, a mustang (with tape wound strings) Landing L2 (was on flats but just put tapes on coz i liked um so much on the mustang) and the tele (swaped the strings on this the day i bought it for Fender 5250ml) I think it will be getting tapes too !!!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1349821055' post='1831110']
Im a big big fan of short scale basses, so to me it feels fine. moved to short scales to help combat a neck problem i have. couldnt belive how much i like the feel, ballence and sound. Most of the things you will read about shorts are bull. there just as deep, the strings are not floppy and you can drop tune. I have three now, a mustang (with tape wound strings) Landing L2 (was on flats but just put tapes on coz i liked um so much on the mustang) and the tele (swaped the strings on this the day i bought it for Fender 5250ml) I think it will be getting tapes too !!!
[/quote]

Just read this - interesting!! Thanks.