Why become a member? ×

Not moving Air! Why?

skidder652003

HI guys
ok so last night we're playing at the old Bell Inn and im using my Ampeg PF-500 with good old Dave Hall's VT-2 Pre pedal and a markbass Compressore through 2 x 15's @ 650 w @ 4 ohm combined (one a Warwick and the other an Ashdown). Got the PF turned up to midway on both vol and gain, got the mids and treble up half way and the bass up to 2 o'clock (ie two thirds up). Im thinking this is surely gonna move some air and get the bottom of the jeans flapping (and into the bargain get some ladies dancing!). But from where i was standing, ie about 3 feet in front of the speakers it still felt underpowered. I couldnt feel that vibration in the chest, if you know what i mean?
Sure it was loud but just.....not rich...and....whats the word...?
So, is it the speakers, settings? Or maybe from that small distance from the speakers you can't really feel the force so to speak, perhaps the punters could feel it further away? Is that how it works, dunno?
Sorry a bit of a ramble but cant work out why i cant feel the damn thing, surely theres enough juice?

dont think anyone tinkered with the warwick (i got the ashdown from new), will try messing with the comprerssore settings although theyre all pretty much a 12 o'clock and dont alter the sound too much as they're pretty transparent and subtle pedals. Im thinking standing so close to the speakers (as you do in these poxy tiny pubs) means you dont get the full effect of the air being moved, or is that cobblers? :unsure:

The tone stack may not be flat at 12 oclock for each dial. A five minute sound check of playing with the dials and using your ears (and your chest :) ) to get the right mix would give better results than eyeballing it. Of course if you are getting phase cancellation from out of phase speakers or wall reflections you can only do so much with the tone knobs.

I would try the speakers separately in the same configuration. ie Warwick on top with Ashdown unplugged then again with Warwick unplugged. See if you get any difference in volume.

I added a 2x10" Warwick to a 15" trace and got some weird cancelling effects. Mixing manufacturers can have weird effects.

How close to the back wall were the cabs? If they're more than 1or 2 meters you can have cancellation problems where the sound bouncing off the back wall interferes with the direct sound from the cab.

The cabs were stacked vertically I presume?

cabs stacked vertically, warwick on the bottom (its bigger) about half a meter from back wall, pub was small with low ceilings, beams, horse brasses etc! Quite busy as well so maybe bodies soaked it up, dunno? Will try angling the cabs inwards a bit more next time, thanks for that, what about strings? Using cheapo stringsdirect own brand, light/medium gauge, saying that, tried rotos, dunlop etc, didnt make much difference, but that a whole other thread!
thanks for all suggestions by the way

Low ceilings and beams will give you all sorts of problems. Sometimes you're better off just using the top 15 unplug the bottom one and use it as a stand and for show.

What are your guitarists using? If they've got 4x12"s you're going to struggle.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1344194359' post='1761090']
No it isn't. You're completely wrong.
[/quote]

Really? I'm always willing to learn, so why don't you explain where I'm 'completely wrong'?

[url="http://www.homeworkassignmenthelp.com/images/loudspeaker-waveform%201.GIF"]looks like physics to me.[/url]

Edited by Stacker