Why become a member? ×

Anyone have a J-Retro?

acidbass

Looking into getting one of these bad boys for my Jazz bass. What's the best set of pickups to pair with one?

I currently have a set of WIzard 64's and feel I might need something a little more modern sounding to match the capabilities of the J-Retro. Anyone have any recommendations? I've heard good things about the Delanos (JC Series) although am open to all suggestions.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1344083161' post='1759512']
Looking into getting one of these bad boys for my Jazz bass. What's the best set of pickups to pair with one?

I currently have a set of WIzard 64's and feel I might need something a little more modern sounding to match the capabilities of the J-Retro. Anyone have any recommendations? I've heard good things about the Delanos (JC Series) although am open to all suggestions.

[/quote] i think it's designed to work with anything. why not try it with the wizards and upgrade if you want a different sound?

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1344083161' post='1759512']

[/quote]also worth considering.... ead (the guy above) has an ACG pre if that floats your boat.

I would just add the Jretro to your Wizards..... The Pre has oomph and you might not need it in the pickups as well....it could end up as too much....
People don't seem to get that too much BASS is not good for tone....
You can't run the Pre @ +15 db anyway unless you have no idea..
If you think the pickups lack tone, then that is another issue

I have 2 basses with j retro's in and would echo what others have said, keep the wizards and be amazed by the way in which John East's electronics just make everything sound better! You'll probably find the mid sweep alone will enable you to get a very modern sound if you want it. I recently replaced the pre in my Fender 2010 jazz deluxe and although the difference is not dramatic as the Fender preamp in the latest deluxe models is actually quite good, having the mid sweep and proper active pickup pan make it a very effective upgrade.

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344161527' post='1760457']
Leave the pickups. See how the J-Retro works with your own first.
[/quote]

Absolutely, why would you change your pickups without knowing if you like them or not? Also the pre-ap is very powerful and sounds great (I have one with Dimarzios - came with the bass) but one of the downsides some would opine is that putting a preamp on loses some of the character of the pups. I've not played enough examples to judge but I can see the point.

A small adjustment on any of the controls will make a bigger difference than changing pups.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1344102472' post='1759879']
You could load a couple of carrots in it and they's sound good with a J-Retro. :D
[/quote]

This is very true. I have a J retro in a Jazz fitted with 18 year old Jap Squier pickups, which are not exactly the best pickups money can buy but even so they sound great with the retro. I also have a Jazz fitted with Wizard 64s which are great pickups and would sound [b]FANTABULOUS [/b]with a J retro.