Why become a member? ×

What to do in Glasgow during the day this thursday

steve

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1343766520' post='1754998']
Until they changed owners recently, my local chippy had a dessert section on their takeaway menus. The options were Deep Fried Mars Bar, or Deep Fried Freddo (for the kids).
[/quote]
ken if you moved 40 miles to the east, west, north or south you could add ten years to your life expectancy?

When I used to go thru a lot (I had a girlfriend in Kirkintilloch) there was a cracking used guitar shop away down past Central Station. I remember there was a shop two doors along from it where the neds used to buy their chibs - but also sold used guitars too.

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1343761803' post='1754892']
Meh - the naysayers are idiots - Glasgow's a great place for a wander.

From Central station, head down Jamaica Street to Kenny's Music for a look round, then nip along Howard Street, up through St Enoch Square to House of Fraser. When the missus is distracted by the shiny things, nip out another exit and bolt up Buchanan Street, hang a right at All Saints, through Royal Exchange Square (passing the Gallery of Modern Art and the statue of the Duke of Roadcone) and along Ingram Street. Down Glassford Street at, and into Garth Street for Merchant City Music. From there, down towards Argyle Street, then east a bit and down King Street for a pint at the 13th Note, then across the road to Strung Out Guitars, into Mono for another pint and a look round Monorail records, then back up onto Argyle Street for Guitar Guitar. Swiftly back along Argyle St to Buchanan St again where the missus will be waiting irately at the corner. Tell her you got lost on the way to the changing rooms.
[/quote]
You are me?!?!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343765628' post='1754986']
hey, the deep fried mars bar is a east coast thing.

also please keep the attached photo for reference:
[/quote]

I love that photo Luke. It's a shame the photo doesn't include Edinburgh. Oh wait - Edinburgh doesn't have a transport system! :lol:

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1343773261' post='1755179']
If anybody knows of a chippy that still sells a deep fried mars bar, I would like to know. Been looking for bloody years!
[/quote]

I don't think that chippies necessarily have deep fried Mars bars on their priceboard but most chippies that I know sell sweeties. Just ask them to deep fry you a mars bar?!?! If they sell Mars bars, there's nothing stopping them dipping it in batter and flinging it in the fryer...

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1343811644' post='1755456']
I don't think that chippies necessarily have deep fried Mars bars on their priceboard but most chippies that I know sell sweeties. Just ask them to deep fry you a mars bar?!?! If they sell Mars bars, there's nothing stopping them dipping it in batter and flinging it in the fryer...
[/quote]

make sure they unwrap it first.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1343773261' post='1755179']
If anybody knows of a chippy that still sells a deep fried mars bar, I would like to know. Been looking for bloody years!
[/quote]

Portree in Skye does them down at the harbour chippie.

We regularly have graduates working with us for a year at a time and usually from London area.
The one thing they all noted was that when standing alone in a Glasgow bar someone will always offer some friendly banter whereas in London you could stand their all night and no-one would even notice.
1982 was last time i drank in London - Floyd at Earls Court so too distant to recall if that's true or not.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1343835935' post='1756050']
Portree in Skye does them down at the harbour chippie.

We regularly have graduates working with us for a year at a time and usually from London area.
The one thing they all noted was that when standing alone in a Glasgow bar someone will always offer some friendly banter whereas in London you could stand their all night and no-one would even notice.
1982 was last time i drank in London - Floyd at Earls Court so too distant to recall if that's true or not.

Dave
[/quote]

That wee chippy down by the harbour is a good one!

ta for all the suggestions, ended up hanging around merchant city for most of the day, esp. 13th note, which went down well with the mrs as it did veggie food (liquid lunch for me :D ). Also went to GOMA, to look at some of the garbage that people purport as art these days, (altho' it has to be said well done to some of those artists who have managed to convince the powers that be that what they are producing merits them receiving a grants or funding).

As was commented above, the people are really friendly and laid back, I'd definately go back

13th Note is indeed a cool bar. I cut my teeth in there in a new band a few years ago. That gig went down extremely well.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you weren't a fan of GOMA. I quite like that place. And yes, if only us musos could get the same arts funding that artists do, but good on them.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1344036461' post='1759141']
13th Note is indeed a cool bar. I cut my teeth in there in a new band a few years ago. That gig went down extremely well.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you weren't a fan of GOMA. I quite like that place. And yes, if only us musos could get the same arts funding that artists do, but good on them.
[/quote] they do.... scottish arts council paid for the production of withered hands last album (creative scotland as it is now) and they've funded a few other music things too

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1344039927' post='1759175']
they do.... scottish arts council paid for the production of withered hands last album (creative scotland as it is now) and they've funded a few other music things too
[/quote]

Man, no denying that Creative Scotland put in to music funding but I've always just seen a hell of a lot of art being funded by Creative Scotland - or the Arts Council, as it was.

[/quote]

Some of it was alright - there was a video installation in Gallery 1 (can't remember it's name) that was good. Other things however challenged my patiance, and served to remind me exactly why I dropped out of Art College.

13th Note is indeed a cool bar. I cut my teeth in there in a new band a few years ago. That gig went down extremely well.[/quote]

I have happy memories of being a 'roadie' for my sons' bands at the 13th Note. One night the band played the 13th Note and then immediately after the gig hurtled through to Edinburgh to play a late slot at Whistlebinkies. I was knackered for about two days!

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1344046324' post='1759199']
Man, no denying that Creative Scotland put in to music funding but I've always just seen a hell of a lot of art being funded by Creative Scotland - or the Arts Council, as it was.
[/quote]
Art can meet the criteria things are recognised for better than music can.
Without CS most of the art wouldn't happen - but the music still would, it quite hard to think of much music that is both culturally relevant and unable to find most of it's funding from elsewhere- the music business is that a business. I think where it would be worthy is outwith the central belt- helping get bands up north on tour, or helping smaller non commercial (i.e. prob trad) groups tour.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1344066612' post='1759257']
Pop into the Waterloo Bar on Argyle Street, opp the Radisson Hotel. You'll have a good time!
[/quote]

Is that the one with YMCA, Erasure, Bronski Beat, and George Michael constantly on the jukebox??

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1344155995' post='1760387']
Is that the one with YMCA, Erasure, Bronski Beat, and George Michael constantly on the jukebox??
[/quote]

Kevin,

Interesting that you know of this! I, for one, have only heard tell of the good times to be had in that establishment! :blink: :blink:

I've played Glasgow a few times, we always end up parking the van in the big car park by the 13th note and checking out the little guitar shop and cafe/record shop immediately opposite. I had a wander round last time and couldn't tell you where I went but I was suprised at how cool Glasgow was. Never trust stereotypes! Really nice city and Scotland in general is very cool. I was going to go on holiday there but bought some new music gear instead.