Why become a member? ×

What to do in Glasgow during the day this thursday

steve

Visiting family in Glasgow for a couple and days, and whilst we have the evenings activities sorted, there doesn't seem to be much to do (besides museums etc) during the day. Does anyone know of any lunchtime gigs I can try and persuade the wife to come to with me?

cheers

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1343744328' post='1754484']
So the consensus of opinion seems to be "keep your head down and try to get everyone out alive" :blink: :lol:

Don't think my inlaws and son would be too impressed with the hard drug angle
[/quote]

Sorry mate. Just one of those friendly stereotype-cum-racist jokes. We know some of them are clean :)

Wait a minute here. Just wait a minute. Glasgow is one of the greatest cities on earth. There is no other city in the UK in which I would rather live. I say this because I have lived in Glasgow and suburbs for 45 years. The people are marvellous. All those cliches that are being tramped out here could be applied to any UK city. Glasgow is a great place to be.

Not much to do?
NOT MUCH TO DO??

No lunch time gig, admittedly, but I'd drive down to Ayrshire, rent some sea kayaks in Coylton, paddle to Arran, buy som single cask Arran, paddle back, drive to Glasgow and have a great dinner at Wagamama in the city centre. Daytime activity sorted.

After that I'd not even bother to drive to the house, but just mingle with the NEDs. :ph34r:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

best,
bert

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1343749427' post='1754598']
Wait a minute here. Just wait a minute. Glasgow is one of the greatest cities on earth. There is no other city in the UK in which I would rather live. I say this because I have lived in Glasgow and suburbs for 45 years. The people are marvellous. All those cliches that are being tramped out here could be applied to any UK city. Glasgow is a great place to be.
[/quote]

Don't listen to him he's clearly been on the Buckfast

j/k mate honest. I've never been but will do one day I hope :) It's just the same as wherever I go outside of Liverpool people crack jokes about us being robbing bastards. Which is quite true by the way ;)

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1343757400' post='1754769']
Glasgow is fantastic. I suggest a wonder down Ashton lane. The bar linked with the Grosvner Cinema is fantastic and there is a burger place just next door called ketchup (I think).
[/quote]

Ashton Lane is one of my very favourite places.

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1343757038' post='1754757']
Don't listen to him he's clearly been on the Buckfast

j/k mate honest. I've never been but will do one day I hope :) It's just the same as wherever I go outside of Liverpool people crack jokes about us being robbing bastards. Which is quite true by the way ;)
[/quote]

JayPH, my daughter-in-law is a scouser and you won't find better folk on the face of the earth - they remind me of Glaswegians! :lol:

Edited by Hutton

Meh - the naysayers are idiots - Glasgow's a great place for a wander.

From Central station, head down Jamaica Street to Kenny's Music for a look round, then nip along Howard Street, up through St Enoch Square to House of Fraser. When the missus is distracted by the shiny things, nip out another exit and bolt up Buchanan Street, hang a right at All Saints, through Royal Exchange Square (passing the Gallery of Modern Art and the statue of the Duke of Roadcone) and along Ingram Street. Down Glassford Street at, and into Garth Street for Merchant City Music. From there, down towards Argyle Street, then east a bit and down King Street for a pint at the 13th Note, then across the road to Strung Out Guitars, into Mono for another pint and a look round Monorail records, then back up onto Argyle Street for Guitar Guitar. Swiftly back along Argyle St to Buchanan St again where the missus will be waiting irately at the corner. Tell her you got lost on the way to the changing rooms.

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1343761803' post='1754892']
Meh - the naysayers are idiots - Glasgow's a great place for a wander.

From Central station, head down Jamaica Street to Kenny's Music for a look round, then nip along Howard Street, up through St Enoch Square to House of Fraser. When the missus is distracted by the shiny things, nip out another exit and bolt up Buchanan Street, hang a right at All Saints, through Royal Exchange Square (passing the Gallery of Modern Art and the statue of the Duke of Roadcone) and along Ingram Street. Down Glassford Street at, and into Garth Street for Merchant City Music. From there, down towards Argyle Street, then east a bit and down King Street for a pint at the 13th Note, then across the road to Strung Out Guitars, into Mono for another pint and a look round Monorail records, then back up onto Argyle Street for Guitar Guitar. Swiftly back along Argyle St to Buchanan St again where the missus will be waiting irately at the corner. Tell her you got lost on the way to the changing rooms.
[/quote]

Fantastic, I'm printing this out - i'll just have to remember to eat it to dispose of the evidence before meeting up with the wife

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1343761803' post='1754892'] Meh - the naysayers are idiots - Glasgow's a great place for a wander. From Central station, head down Jamaica Street to Kenny's Music for a look round, then nip along Howard Street, up through St Enoch Square to House of Fraser. When the missus is distracted by the shiny things, nip out another exit and bolt up Buchanan Street, hang a right at All Saints, through Royal Exchange Square (passing the Gallery of Modern Art and the statue of the Duke of Roadcone) and along Ingram Street. Down Glassford Street at, and into Garth Street for Merchant City Music. From there, down towards Argyle Street, then east a bit and down King Street for a pint at the 13th Note, then across the road to Strung Out Guitars, into Mono for another pint and a look round Monorail records, then back up onto Argyle Street for Guitar Guitar. Swiftly back along Argyle St to Buchanan St again where the missus will be waiting irately at the corner. Tell her you got lost on the way to the changing rooms. [/quote]

That's just what I did on Tuesday! Then had lunch in Princess Square (across from Yo Sushi on Buchanan St).
When you're down the Trongate end (Strung Out & GuitarGuitar), you could pop to the Barras if you like junk stalls.
There's the science centre, Kelvingrove & Clydeside to take the Mrs for a loving stroll in the afternoon to make up with her.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1343739205' post='1754387']
deep fried pizza followed by deep fried mars bar
[/quote] hey, the deep fried mars bar is a east coast thing.

also please keep the attached photo for reference:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343765628' post='1754986']
hey, the deep fried mars bar is a east coast thing.
[/quote]

Until they changed owners recently, my local chippy had a dessert section on their takeaway menus. The options were Deep Fried Mars Bar, or Deep Fried Freddo (for the kids).