Why become a member? ×

Wireless recommendations?

I also have the Line 6 G30 and am well pleased with it-although if honest, if I had the cash I probably would go for the G50-I believe the transmitter unit is metal not plastic, and the G30 unit has a minor issue with the battery compartment door, which can be a bit of a sod to close with a set of batteries in. This is a known fault which has come up several times on the Line 6 support forums, I get the impression Line 6 deny the problem exists. It's only a minor niggle, it closes eventually with a bit of fiddling, and in use I have no complaints with the unit. One thing I will say is use decent batteries-when I first got mine it would eat a set of pound shop cheapo batteries in an hour-plus I was using a normal length lead between receiver and amp. Switched to Duracells (also available at our local pound shop!) and bought a short patch lead, and battery life has improved enormously. I understand the transmitter unit clip is more robust on the G50 too.

Edited by Deep Thought

One thing I discovered last night using mine for the first time was that the place we usually rehearse, I normally get a really bad hum through my amp and so does the keyboard player.

Imagine my surprise when we both turned up with G30s and no hum whatsoever.

I also managed to snap off one of the wee tags that hold the clippy bit on the recevier while trying to turn it the other way. I'm going to be zip tying it onto my strap anyway but that's a bit of a pain.

I've been looking at wireless systems again and the Line6 models seem to be attracting a lot of users here. However...

The most common complaint seems to be the flimsiness of the clip on the transmitter units. How can this be? These are items that are sold to gigging musicians. The solution to attach them to the strap should work straight out of the box and not rely on gaffer tape or other bodges. The clip on the ancient (and probably now illegal) Shure transmitter that I used to use never caused my any problems and was gigged very hard so why can't Line6 get something as basic as this right?

Secondly looking at the G90 rack unit why is there no output on the front as well as the back? Plenty of rack amps/pre-amps only have input sockets on the front. A good wireless unit needs to be able accommodate both.

Poorly thought out IMO.

[quote name='x_Morning_Star_x' timestamp='1343987839' post='1758189']
ive heard good things about both of these line 6 units, i may look into the G30 actually, i think i was being a little too specifc just saying rack, is there any latency issues with G30?
[/quote]

None.

I have been using one for over two years one and it's a fantastic thing. No latency whatsoever, or sound degradation unlike the older radio units.

I'd totally recommend it.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1343990347' post='1758231']
I also have the Line 6 G30 and am well pleased with it-although if honest, if I had the cash I probably would go for the G50-I believe the receiver unit is metal not plastic, and the G30 unit has a minor issue with the battery compartment door, which can be a bit of a sod to close with a set of batteries in. This is a known fault which has come up several times on the Line 6 support forums, I get the impression Line 6 deny the problem exists. It's only a minor niggle, it closes eventually with a bit of fiddling, and in use I have no complaints with the unit. One thing I will say is use decent batteries-when I first got mine it would eat a set of pound shop cheapo batteries in an hour-plus I was using a normal length lead between transmitter and amp. Switched to Duracells (also available at our local pound shop!) and bought a short patch lead, and battery life has improved enormously. I understand the receiver unit clip is more robust on the G50 too.
[/quote]

I hear about that door "problem". I don't get it. Yes, you have to press and slide the latch, hard. But it's not like you need to be the Hulk, and it actually ensures it does not come undone by itself.

As for batteries, I never used anything other than Duracell. Packs of 36 at Costco for just over £10. Each pair lasts the advertised 8h of continuous use or more. I really like the battery life indicator. It warns you well in advance, and it is accurate.

For me, the only negative is the transmitter clip. It looks very flimsy. For that reason I use a separate holder attached to my strap, and the transmitter goes inside it.

Edited by mcnach

• 2 weeks later...

G50 for me. Better construction IMO than the g30- its metal over plastic if I remember correctly, greater range so I know I won't exceed it's limits. I've been to a few festivals now where there has been quite a few wireless devices around and never had any interference problems. I choose a random channel to stop me crossing over with people who probably just leave it on channel 1 or the highest channel. Cabletone is a nice touch too as it does stop your sound being overly bright, I roll on for a 10m cable.

Another vote for Line 6. I have a headset vocal system for magic shows and I have used also used it in band situations where the stage has been so tiny there was no room for a mic stand.

Although using a headset for magic is cool and necessary to keep the hands free.... using one at a band gig (when I'm not a drummer) is slightly embarrassing and makes me think of Five Star!

Just a heads up on Digital wireless..... It probably won't affect a lot of people here but those that play in corporate environments such as hotels where they have an extensive wireless wi-fi network.

Sometimes these do cause interfereence with these and I'm aware of at least a couple of events where the users have been asked to not use their Digital systems as it has taken out the hotels network.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1345191132' post='1774680']
Just a heads up on Digital wireless..... It probably won't affect a lot of people here but those that play in corporate environments such as hotels where they have an extensive wireless wi-fi network.

Sometimes these do cause interfereence with these and I'm aware of at least a couple of events where the users have been asked to not use their Digital systems as it has taken out the hotels network.
[/quote]

He he. Ace!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm probably being extremely dense here as usual, but can you use a wireless as IEM as well?

My understanding of wireless is that it goes from the bass to the amp via the ether, through the effect send/return if needed and then to the speaker. At what point does the signal come back to you if you're using it as IEM if it can be used so?

Presumably the IEM pick up point is your transmitter on the bass so that you get the clean sound in your ear before any amp/effect processing?

I'm looking at the Line6 G90 Relay at the moment more for bling and rackability than any real need for it, damn GAS :P

• 2 weeks later...

Big + for the G30 from me as well

Not found any problem with the battery door or the belt clip. Latency is non-existent and I can keep the band amused during rehearsals by playing out in the car park, so long as I have line of sight to the receiver through a window!!!

I normally walk out into the audience during the first number, to double check the levels. Plus, I don't have anyone tripping over or pulling out my lead on a cramped stage. The receiver sits on my pedal board and takes its power from the normal daisychain.

I did replace the supplied lead for one with a right-angled plug at the bass end - it's a standard 1/4" socket on the transmitter, not a proprietary one like a lot of others.

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1352821542' post='1867875']
so long as I have line of sight to the receiver through a window!!!
[/quote]

I don't think line of sight is necessary... I tested it at home, with the amp in one room, and myself in another... with several doorways in the way. I just wanted to see how loud it sounded from that side of the house. It was still louder than I was hoping :P