Why become a member? ×

How much to get something like this to the UK?

Chris2112

I have been dreaming of getting another Alembic at some point. The USA is well stocked with 'cheaper' Alembics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-ALEMBIC-EPIC-4-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-USA-WITH-SOFT-HARD-CASE-/380455879246?pt=Guitar&hash=item5894f0024e

Something like this, for instance. How much would it cost me to ship this to the UK, paying import duty and whatever else UK customs will levy on it? Advice from the shipping gurus appreciated...

You'd be looking at having to pay around the £330 - £350 mark in VAT & Import duty on that.
It's always difficult to give an exact price as ultimately it's down to the currency conversion rate on the day that the sale is made.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1342981690' post='1743415']
You'd be looking at having to pay around the £330 - £350 mark in VAT & Import duty on that.
It's always difficult to give an exact price as ultimately it's down to the currency conversion rate on the day that the sale is made.
[/quote]
Almost worth flying out and taking a bass over with you. Sell it over there and top up the funds to buy a bass of your choice. Have a little holiday and bring it back as personal luggage.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1342982507' post='1743434']
You'll pay import duty on the 'electrical goods' rate iirc (might be 9%, can't remember) and vat, all based on the total price inc shipping in £s...
Pretty though!!
[/quote]
Electric instruments have [url="http://tariff.businesslink.gov.uk/tariff-bl/export/heading.html?export=false&simulationDate=22/07/12&id=9207000000&additionalCode1=&additionalCode2=&additionalCode3=&countryCode="]their own category [/url]at a more reasonable 3.7%/

There's a handy site at www.dutycalculator.com which takes all the hard work out of calculating the costs. You just have to remember to add £8 - £15 admin charges as well.

I've bought 3 guitars into the UK from the States, and every-time they have been assessed differently. I know there are some people on the forum who seem to have a sliding scale for this thing, but it's not worked out the like that for me. But, there will be three things you will have to pay. VAT, Import Duty and a handling fee to Parcel Force for them assessing and paying the VAT on your behalf. You can appeal the VAT charge, but you will have to provide evidence of how much you paid, and in my experience they have always applied VAT at a lower rate in relation to the amount paid. If you appeal, the first thing they ask is 'how much did you pay?', before they tell you what value they assessed the VAT at.

I would add 20-25% onto any price. 25% being harsh, 20% OK, any less and you have been lucky.

The truth is, is you will only get your answer when she arrives in the UK and you'll get a letter through your door from Parcel Force telling you what's what.

Edited by billyapple

You can investigate posting houses. They offer a service where you get something mailed to a company in the us and they'll re-package and mail to you for a fee.

Try:

[url="http://www.shipito.com/"]http://www.shipito.com/[/url]

or

[url="http://www.myus.com/"]http://www.myus.com/[/url]

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1342984219' post='1743473']

Electric instruments have [url="http://tariff.businesslink.gov.uk/tariff-bl/export/heading.html?export=false&simulationDate=22/07/12&id=9207000000&additionalCode1=&additionalCode2=&additionalCode3=&countryCode="]their own category [/url]at a more reasonable 3.7%/

There's a handy site at www.dutycalculator.com which takes all the hard work out of calculating the costs. You just have to remember to add £8 - £15 admin charges as well.
[/quote]

That was it! I didn't remember correctly, right idea wrong number...it was a few years ago when I did it... :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1342998743' post='1743752']
The way I figure it, our humble country could do with more Alembics
[/quote]
I couldn't agree more.

I've always worked on an additional 25% (duty and VAT on the total price of the item and shipping).

Good luck - I've had some great non-EU deals

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1342998743' post='1743752']
The way I figure it, our humble country could do with more Alembics and I have been looking at these and thinking of my old Epic for a while now...
[/quote]
My parents recently went on holiday in florida, flights were $200 return. If postage starts getting silly expensive may be worth having a wee holiday out there at the same time.

Also I've wondered- how to customs know how much a secondhand bass is worth? Like if you got a bargin somehow that cost you $1000 rather than $5000 how do they take that into account?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343043215' post='1744101']
My parents recently went on holiday in florida, flights were $200 return. If postage starts getting silly expensive may be worth having a wee holiday out there at the same time.

Also I've wondered- how to customs know how much a secondhand bass is worth? Like if you got a bargin somehow that cost you $1000 rather than $5000 how do they take that into account?
[/quote]

If you get a bargain always get a receipt for the amount you paid.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1343048033' post='1744219']
This has just come up on ebay. May solve your problem.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alembic-Epic-4-String-Bass-/180935673336?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a209b45f8#ht_500wt_964"]http://www.ebay.co.u...f8#ht_500wt_964[/url]
[/quote]

I've seen their basses before, the prices are massively inflated. I'd sooner buy from the US and pay all the import duties - it would still be cheaper no doubt!

My Geddy Lee came from the USA and because the seller had marked it 'gift' I wasn't charged tax. Don't know if this always works though. Another USA bass was sent with the neck removed and marked 'parts for repair'. There was a tiny tax bill (£15). I think a lot depends on what the seller puts or is prepared to put on the shipping label. I've had very cheap basses heavily taxed and expensive basses not or barely taxed at all.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343055959' post='1744425']
Remember that if the seller marks the value of the item down, should it get damaged in transit, the marked value is all you'll be able to claim.
[/quote]

Depending on where/how the item was purchased, wouldn't that be more the sellers problem if it got damaged before it reached you? i.e. you'd be entitled to a full refund (item not as described/not fit for purpose) and they'd have to claim with the courier for the marked value?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343055959' post='1744425']
Remember that if the seller marks the value of the item down, should it get damaged in transit, the marked value is all you'll be able to claim.
[/quote]
[quote name='Ruiner' timestamp='1343204334' post='1746848']
Depending on where/how the item was purchased, wouldn't that be more the sellers problem if it got damaged before it reached you? i.e. you'd be entitled to a full refund (item not as described/not fit for purpose) and they'd have to claim with the courier for the marked value?
[/quote]

No, it would not be the sellers problem if the item is damaged in transit. If there is a non-transit fault with the item, then that's a different matter. A seller will insure goods to a maximum no greater than the declared value, as the insurance is part of the postage. You cannot ask the carrier to insure greater value than the declared value.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1343249158' post='1747853']
No, it would not be the sellers problem if the item is damaged in transit. If there is a non-transit fault with the item, then that's a different matter. A seller will insure goods to a maximum no greater than the declared value, as the insurance is part of the postage. You cannot ask the carrier to insure greater value than the declared value.
[/quote]

Yes I understand that. Maybe I didn't explain myself well.

What I meant was, for example, if an ebay seller/online store/whatever sold you a bass and offered to mark down the declared value to save on import duty, and the bass never made it to you or was damaged beyond repair when it did arrive, isn't it the sellers legal responsibility to claim the insurance (for, like you say, the declared amount) while giving the customer a full refund? Hence why any sensible business wouldn't offer to mark down the declared value on anything expensive in the first place?

Surely if you could prove you paid 'X' amount of pounds, and you didn't get what you paid for, you're entitled to a full refund (at least in this country, I have no idea about U.S trading laws). The seller would be out of pocket, not the buyer.

Obviously you'd have to be a bit of a git to ask for the declared value to be marked down and then ask for a full refund in the event of a problem though. Although I expect there are some that would.