Why become a member? ×

Playing with injuries

Lfalex v1.1

Unfortunately I suffered an injury at work.
I lift (a lot!) at work. Often several tons over the course of a day.
Because of good technique, my back is still fine and I've plenty of core strength.
I'm right-handed, and my elbow simply went "Pop" The symptoms seem to echo people's descriptions of "Tennis Elbow"
Whilst it's painful/awkward at work, I can work around it without painkillers. With bass-playing, it's seriously hampering my playing as the required inward/upward movement for the correct forearm position to reach the strings is painful to maintain.
I've tried lengthening the strap/s, and using different basses and R/H positions but to no avail.
I play exclusively fingerstyle, and using a plectrum would probably be excruciating.
I refuse to use painkillers, as they only mask the symptoms, and I may be risking further injury/damage by pushing it.

Yesterday (day off), I did as little as possible requiring the use of my right arm, and did quite well until I picked my daughter up.... then it went back to square one.

Any ideas (besides going lefty)?

There's an exercise you can do for tennis elbow. Stand in front of a desk or table and lay your hand palm upwards on it (back of the hand on the table too, wrist almost at right angles). Reach across to the affected elbow with your free hand, clasping the damaged arm with your fingers. Then gently lean forward keeping the damaged arm as straight as possible. The gently stretches the damaged tendon, exercises it and helps it to slip easily through it sheath (which it doesn't, when inflamed and damaged, which causes the pain). I got this off my GP and it works.

best of luck :)

Edited by musophilr

Have you been to see a physio? They might be able to give you some exercises to strengthen it.

Unfortunately, quite often the only cure for this kind of thing is patience---you have to be prepared to rest it, and not use it even though you really want to. Otherwise you can risk making it worse. My friend had to have knee surgery and couldn't do any kind of sport for about 18 months. He hated every minute of it, but it means that now his knee is fully healed. If he'd get stressing it he would have done permanent damage.

when I was younger and learning to play I had a problem.... being left handed playing a right handed bass I had little or no control of my right hand.
Long strap so that the my arm was dead straight hanging down sorted it for me. I could probably have strapped my elbow up straight and been ok, you just let it dangle with everything straight.
I think I then had the bass really tilted upward for the left hand. No idea- not done it in ages. (i also have an odd technique for the right hand too)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1342100500' post='1729584']
Have you been to see a physio? They might be able to give you some exercises to strengthen it.

Unfortunately, quite often the only cure for this kind of thing is patience---you have to be prepared to rest it, and not use it even though you really want to. Otherwise you can risk making it worse.
[/quote]

+ 100 to this.

OP, you say "seems" to be like tennis elbow. It would be prudent to get it diagnosed by a doctor or physiotherapist. Complete rest is the best remedy till you do so.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1342098505' post='1729527']
Unfortunately I suffered an injury at work.
I lift (a lot!) at work. Often several tons over the course of a day.
Because of good technique, my back is still fine and I've plenty of core strength.
I'm right-handed, and my elbow simply went "Pop" The symptoms seem to echo people's descriptions of "Tennis Elbow"
Whilst it's painful/awkward at work, I can work around it without painkillers. With bass-playing, it's seriously hampering my playing as the required inward/upward movement for the correct forearm position to reach the strings is painful to maintain.
I've tried lengthening the strap/s, and using different basses and R/H positions but to no avail.
I play exclusively fingerstyle, and using a plectrum would probably be excruciating.
I refuse to use painkillers, as they only mask the symptoms, and I may be risking further injury/damage by pushing it.

Yesterday (day off), I did as little as possible requiring the use of my right arm, and did quite well until I picked my daughter up.... then it went back to square one.

Any ideas (besides going lefty)?
[/quote]

Aye, as above I'd suggest getting it checked out. X-rays etc. etc. Problems can quickly become more substantial if you overdo it, even with the best of intentions.
Laying off on the right hand doesn't mean you cant practice though. Use it as an chance to work on some left hand technique.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1342110702' post='1729796']
Been there and suffered that, don't 'alf hurt, I just carried on but didn't move my left arm as much when playing and definitely no windmills. It got better after a few months thankfully.
[/quote]

My concern is that work (whilst [i]bearable[/i]) will slow the healing process....
Thanks to all, (esp musophilr) for the contributions so far.
I guess my next step is GP/Physio if there's no sign of improvement in the near future.

I've got the same but tennis elbow in one arm and tendonitis on the inside of my other elbow, i'm a tiler so heavy lifting but think I damaged them carrying a 4 x 10! I had a physio session with electrolysis, heat and ultrasound. I've got to wear a strap/clasp thing in each arm and i've been given a list of exercises to do. Also attacking the inflamation with a course of voltarol pills. I cant rest my elbows cos my work gotta keep going, but at least playing bass doesnt cause too much pain :)

Rich

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1342120095' post='1730040']

My concern is that work (whilst [i]bearable[/i]) will slow the healing process....
Thanks to all, (esp musophilr) for the contributions so far.
I guess my next step is GP/Physio if there's no sign of improvement in the near future.
[/quote]

Well, in all honesty, it will!

The cure for these things, perhaps unfortunately, lies in rest - and letting the body mend.

If you haven't yet had a proper diagnosis, the first step is to get one. If you need signing off, I'd recommend accepting it - toughing it out can hamper, if not outright reverse, healing. But if you need to put food on the table, it's a call to make.

A physio referral might be an idea if you've done some real damage - though I'd be hoping it's painkillers, strapping and rest for this one.

None of which are play aids, sorry!

I sympathise. I've been trying to get a definitive diagnosis for my arm/hand problem which has some not dissimilar symptoms (started in in earnest December), although there are other issues too, for 6 months now. What's depressing is not only is it dragging on, but nobody really seems that interested, despite me pointing out that I'm a musician and that it's also affecting my full-time job. When I asked my doctor what I should do in the meantime she said, and I quote, "I'll leave that up to you".

I wish you the best of luck because if my experience is anything to go by you'll need it.

They're right, if it's an injury at work then 'work' is responsible. See the doc and get a diagnosis but if it is tennis elbow it will just get better on its own. You could also be offered the injection in the elbow, now that's something to look forward too. Good luck.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1342166097' post='1730507']
I sympathise. I've been trying to get a definitive diagnosis for my arm/hand problem which has some not dissimilar symptoms (started in in earnest December), although there are other issues too, for 6 months now. What's depressing is not only is it dragging on, but nobody really seems that interested, despite me pointing out that I'm a musician and that it's also affecting my full-time job. When I asked my doctor what I should do in the meantime she said, and I quote, "I'll leave that up to you".

I wish you the best of luck because if my experience is anything to go by you'll need it.
[/quote]

I found the best way to get a response out of a GP is to tell him you can't do your job with this problem (he doesn't need to know [i]which[/i] job). As soon as a GP hears that phrase, he'll get you back to work ASAP. Let's face it he works for HMG and is funded by taxes HMG wouldn't get if you weren't working. The NHS only exists to get workers back on the job as soon as possible and thereby to minimise the tax shortfall caused by being off work. Anything else (for example but not limited to: care for the old, the disabled and otherwise unemployable) is "crumbs from the table" and is only there to kid us into thinking it is there to make us feel better when we're poorly.