Why become a member? ×

Tech21 finally make a Class D Sansamp head but ....

Clarky

its only available as a custom option at $2.5k. Aaarrggghhh!

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/TabId/177/Default.aspx?ArticleId=147374"]http://www.bassplayer.com/TabId/177/Default.aspx?ArticleId=147374[/url]

If this was available at a sensible price I would snap this up, 1000W Class D, VT Bass circuitry and 12 pounds

[attachment=112585:Tech21_VT_Bass_1000_web.jpg]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341825314' post='1724490']
why..... why not just get a VT bass, or VT bass deluxe and a small class D power amp? The SWR amplite for instance (is only 300w) or some other class D power amp?
[/quote]
Because its not a one stop shop, same reason 95% of us buy fully equipped amp heads. Going the separates route means more cables, more complexity etc and in any case - bar the underpowered Amplite - I can't think of a mini Class D power amp that weighs only a few pounds

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1341825719' post='1724499']
Because its not a one stop shop, same reason 95% of us buy fully equipped amp heads. Going the separates route means more cables, more complexity etc and in any case - bar the underpowered Amplite - I can't think of a mini Class D power amp that weighs only a few pounds
[/quote]
but what I mean is that that sound that you want from it is possible. Admittedly I wouldn't buy an amplite either but it was just a suggestion.
Mind you the Tech21 lass D isn't the most lightweight of lightweight either!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341825900' post='1724504']
but what I mean is that that sound that you want from it is possible. Admittedly I wouldn't buy an amplite either but it was just a suggestion.
Mind you the Tech21 lass D isn't the most lightweight of lightweight either!
[/quote]
Ah, I misunderstood. And you are right 12 pounds isn't the lightest of Class Ds, but it does back 1000W or 2000 into 4 ohms which is seriously meaty (and more than I would ever need in my little London club gigs)!

[color=#b22222][i]Features include a +10dB Gain switch to enhance low output pickups and allow active pickups to drive the amp harder.[/i][/color]

Interesting idea ... I'm more used to amps that have a MINUS 10dB switch to avoid overloading the input.

I think they would sell a lower powered, more economic version if they felt there was demand. Maybe they will.
They already have a huge series of successful preamps and effect pedals. They aren't going to stomp on their existing market untill / unless they know they will be stomping on someone else's more.

I'm no business person though.

One thing IS for sure, Tech 21 have the 'Ampeg/tube drive in a pedal/DI' side of the market covered very well. I imagine its very hard to compete with their quality and durability, and more importantly, the TONE, with anything else.

I have sold so many BDDI's for them just by showing them to fellow bassists who have seen me going direct.

Yesterday I spent a few good hours with the VT Pedal and I am still floored by how good it is. It makes me want the Deluxe version but I'm quite happy with what I've got.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1341847083' post='1725029']
One thing IS for sure, Tech 21 have the 'Ampeg/tube drive in a pedal/DI' side of the market covered very well. I imagine its very hard to compete with their quality and durability, and more importantly, the TONE, with anything else.

I have sold so many BDDI's for them just by showing them to fellow bassists who have seen me going direct.

Yesterday I spent a few good hours with the VT Pedal and I am still floored by how good it is. It makes me want the Deluxe version but I'm quite happy with what I've got.
[/quote]

I use Sansamps even though I have awesome valve amps. More is more. Eventually I'll use them into a lighweight solution for jams and such, but class D power sections need to get cheaper than valve amps first.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1341834017' post='1724697']
Peavey IPR and pedal. Think there is loads of space in the IPR too could probably get the circuit in there if its in the right places for pots to go on the front.
[/quote]

Quite right sir. The chasis of the IPR is almost totally empty. It really is quite frightening when you look inside. Why they ever needed the 2u chasis is a mystery to me unless it was to implement cooling better through the front grill.

But seriously, $2500 for that? Are they mental or something? Who in their right mind is going to pay that for what is in effect a £150 pedal and a £300 class D amp? Good luck with that one Tech 21.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1341850370' post='1725103']
Quite right sir. The chasis of the IPR is almost totally empty. It really is quite frightening when you look inside. Why they ever needed the 2u chasis is a mystery to me unless it was to implement cooling better through the front grill.
[/quote]

Best way to isolate things from noise is to separate them, and air doesn't way anything like shielding does, plus shielding isn't an ideal solution since it means the noise goes to the ground path.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1341850370' post='1725103']

But seriously, $2500 for that? Are they mental or something? Who in their right mind is going to pay that for what is in effect a £150 pedal and a £300 class D amp? Good luck with that one Tech 21.
[/quote]

I wonder if that is why they never bothered to get EU approval - we wouldn't fall for that sh*t.

I have one of their Landmark 300 bass heads, and I can happily say it is the best sounding amp i have ever played through. I was disappointed to find out that Tech 21 are only doing this as an custom order, and that it can't be sent over here because it's not RoHS compliant.