Why become a member? ×

Looking at the neck...

...when playing? Simple question really how many of you still have to look at where your fingers go on the neck or can you play anything looking cool as f*** while looking at the the prettiest girl in the crowd? I can play without looking at the neck as long as all the notes are open strings and as for checking out the prettiest girl well I am married and would never do such a thing.

Edited by norvegicusbass

I sing lead on half a dozen numbers and backing on the rest, so looking down at my fingers while singing into the mike is impossible.
When I go to see a band live, I hate to see bassists staring at the fretboard. Its a pet hate of mine. :P

Saw Wilco Johnson last night, his bass player (funny looking, little fella) spent whole set looking at the neck. Quite a tidy player.

Personally, I like to get eye contact with as much of the audience as possible, so tend not to look at the neck too much, but the odd reference glance is needed. However, I don't play complex lines.

I'm not bothered if I see a musician looking at their instrument or not. Do I like what they are playing?.. that's more important to me.

Quite frankly, anyone who says they never look at the neck is talking through the proverbial.

As has been said it depends on how complicated the part is. I would rather see someone look at the neck and get it right than have them try to look cool and fluff it up.

I do both as eye contact with the audience is important to me, even if there aren't any pretty girls.

I am often checking out what I am doing and what the band is doing...and it is as important to interact with them AND get your parts right ..but it is also good to 'connect' with the audience
so you should look out front from time to time when you can.

You basically have to know what is going on all around and not be obviously too much in your own bubble.
You can think people don't take note of what you do, how you do it, but you expect them to acknowledge your work when you are introduced to them...so a
little bit of a connection there helps both ways, IMO.
But if you are playing s***, then there is not anything that can really rescue that... no amount of jumping around and grinning and whatever..you just look like a demented tool.
Get your parts right, get the band moving..and then take time out for the audience.... that would be my priorities.

And if you look approachable, you'll likely get more people coming up afterwards..rather than the usual gear-stalker loner/saddos'

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1341755709' post='1723575']
I always look at the neck, because it looks gorgeous.
I also love the silky feel of the back of the neck in my hand.
[/quote]

This!

And he day you see John Williams playing a classical piece without looking, I'll be concerned about looking at the fretboard.
The guitarist/bassist who can play a set without looking at some point has yet to be born.
And if he was born, it would probably be a sign of boredom rather than 'cool as f**k', IMHO...

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1341752025' post='1723528']
Saw Wilco Johnson last night, his bass player (funny looking, little fella) spent whole set looking at the neck. Quite a tidy player.
[/quote]

If he keeps practicing one day he might get round to writing some memorable, catchy or maybe even jaw-dropping basslines