Why become a member? ×

Need more mid

JohnFitzgerald

Morning chaps

Haven't logged in for a while.

Had login issues, all now fixed.

Thinking of a new cab.

Currently running a Trace AH130 into a Peavey 410TX.

The cab has all the bottom and top I need, but does seem a bit lacking in the prominent mid that I like to give the bass an audible voice to make itself heard.

It always weighs more than a small planet.

Any suggestions for a moderately priced, reasonably light, cab ?

My sound is fingerstyle jazz bass biased towards the back pickup.

Cheers

JF

And disengage the preshape on the head and eq from there. The preshape scoops the hell out of the mids on Trace gear.

If you want a lightweight 'middy' cab I'd suggest something like a Markbass 104 HF. Or indeed any of the Markbass range. They seem to be going a little out of vogue at the mo so you could get a decent S/H deal.

Fair points.

My favourite setup from the past was an AH250 and 1048 and that didn't lack for mid.
Maybe that's the sound I'm trying to get back.

Used a 1215 combo last week in a rehersal room and it gave me the sound I like.

I think that's why I was casting guilty looks at the Peavey cab.

Will keep all suggestions in mind.

I had a 410TX for years and that was the main issue I stopped using it - no mids. They are known for that. There apparently is a mod that can be done to bypass the inductor on the input panel to make it more 'full range' as the mids are apparently suppressed. If you google it you should find it. May be a cheap way to solve the problem.

Won't make it any lighter though! Otherwise a great cab that can take tons of juice and not fart out.

If looking for mids, Schroeders are great cabs. They have a scratchy/nasally/middy sound that on its own isn`t too pleasant, but in the mix sounds fantastic. They also sound the same no matter where you stand, straight in front/to the side etc (not sure about behind though). They are also lightweight, with the regular range 410 only being about 70 - 80 lbs. My 410 BMF weighs 50lbs approx, as did my previous 21012.

^^^^^
This. My 1212L has been one of my best purchases ever. Really disliked it when I got it home, but once I got it in a band situation it came alive, sitting in its own sonic pocket. It has mellowed out a bit with use (that or my ears have retuned themselves to like the frequency response) but still nails it when playing with others. I get plenty of positive comments about my sound and can't help thinking that a lot of that is down to my Schroeder.

I think pretty much anything is reasonably light compared to a Peavey cab :lol:

Ashdown aren't light but they're not as bulky as Peavey, and still have a pretty nice warm sound. i like em anyways! They are pretty well priced too on the used market :)

Trace head / Ampeg cab ?

Would that not be like trying to install a gas cooker into an electric power point ?

I know, stupid comment, but to my befuddled head, there's some strange reason in there.

On a side note, I caught Simple Minds from T in the park on Iplayer last night.
Ged Grimes (ex Danny Wilson) was toting an elderly Stingray (probably, pre EB) into an SVT and 8x10.

It was indeed a lovely sound, I have to say.
Great combo.

Didn't Pino use such a setup at one point ?

You do get some pleasant results with different head/cab combos.

I currently use an Ampeg SVT Pro 7 head into a Markbass 106 HF cab and I haven't suffered GAS since I married them together. I moved away from my previous Ashdown rig because I was constantly fighting with the eq and getting lost in the mix. Now I have a natural mid-biased sound before I've even touched the settings.

I've got similar problems at the moment - Hartke Hydrive 410 and LH500 - the head has a built-in scoop, so the mids have to be at full to cancel this out. I'm having to use an on-board EQ to boost them before they hit the amp. Really powerful rig though, and with a DHA VT1EQ it's awesome.

Scoop is just wrong.
Sounds mega on its own, disspears when played ensemble.

I had occasion to do a set on guitar the other night using someone else's gear.

A completely lovely Gibson ES137 into a Marshall all valve 50 watt combo.
Can't remember the model.

Anyway, it was a mix of other people's gear.
As It came to me, the mid was wound off and bass was wound on.
Fat sound, but just no cut.

I adjusted to suit myself and did the set.
Man what a sound, The ES137 on the neck pickup into just a tad of crunch was really lovely.

Mid is such an under appreciated commodity.
Even on guitar.