Why become a member? ×

Pedal to add valve-like warmth but not overdrive or too much colour?

1976fenderhead

Got a new amp which is better than the last except the last had a valve preamp and now I miss that tone. I'm looking for something that will add that warmth to my new amp. I'll have it on all the time, it's meant to be clean and not overdriven, I just want those rich upper harmonics that give the sound that 'vocal', 'hairy' quality... 9v preferred. Don't want something that will colour my tone completely like a SansAmp, still want my sound to come through as it is, just plus those upper harmonics. Any suggestions?

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1341579185' post='1721227']
DHA VT-1 Bass Drive, I have one for exactly the same reason.
[/quote]

That's the one I'm eyeing to be honest, but if there was some simulator not using a valve from some brand I'd prefer that, so I wouldn't need a 12v PSA...
You think Dave will paint it black on request? B) (hate those finishes)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1341579444' post='1721231']
[/quote]

If you tell him when you order you can change the paint to a certain degree,

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341581160' post='1721290']
Sansamps sound great clean, nice and warm and biiiig :) if you don't want the mid scoop try the VT Bass?
[/quote]

I've just tried a SansAmp and sold it because it masks certain frequencies even on clean that I would rather keep. Too much colouring.
The VT Bass I bought and returned the next day (had my previous amp then) because I found it killed dynamics too much.
One I had before, the Catalinbread SFT, I loved it clean but wanted it for distortion and didn't like it so much for that so I sold it. Now I might get one again to see how it goes clean with this amp...

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1341600310' post='1721758']
the cheap (but not crap) option for harmonics/light od :

Hartke VXL. - DI and tone-shaper.

one in the FS forum for £40. (not mine, i'm keeping it)

:)
[/quote]

Ah, another one I sold for whatever reason but didn't mean to use it clean before... Might be good for that!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Another +1 for the DHA VT1, can go from 'just there'(which is what I guess you want) to a nice organic break up or even a decent fuzz.
I like the paint jobs, goes with my home made pedal board which my daughter kindly decorated for me (she's 3 next week, so you'll get the idea....)

Just sold my Sansamp mostly because it was took over too much for me.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1341579444' post='1721231']

That's the one I'm eyeing to be honest, but if there was some simulator not using a valve from some brand I'd prefer that, so I wouldn't need a 12v PSA...
[/quote]

Got mine in black and silver writing, although I actually quite like the bare metal one I have as well (if the writing didn't wear off :)

[quote name='garybaldy' timestamp='1341929097' post='1726363']
Got mine in black and silver writing, although I actually quite like the bare metal one I have as well (if the writing didn't wear off :)
[/quote]

Those are actually the options I'm considering... Would you mind posting photos of both to help me decide? 8)

yep I like the black, although I think Dave, whilst being a lovely bloke and awesome maker of pedals, paints them with a dog or something...

..or maybe he just wears them as body armour whilst playing paintball with colourblind monkeys...

don't expect a powdercoated finish, I guess the thick runs of paint make up for where the dog missed bits :)

you'll love the sound, no matter how it looks...

I had a DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive and it was the dogs proverbials. Absolutely brilliant. I sold it, but only because it was total overkill for what I needed it to do.

I can't help but feel Dave is missing a trick with his finishes. Functionwise, they are serious pieces of kit. Lookswise, they look like a DIY project. I had more than one soundguy question whether or not mine was going to damage his desk (they assumed it was something I'd thrown together myself). I can't help but wonder if some potential customers aren't put off because they don't look like a "proper" pedal?

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1341935886' post='1726519']
I can't help but wonder if some potential customers aren't put off because they don't "look" like a proper pedal?
[/quote]

Totally agree. It's an easy equation:

Do you think the current look draws people to these pedals who would otherwise buy some other pedal? Hardly. very few.
Do you think it makes no difference to some people? Sure. Some.
Do you think some people just can't bring themselves to buy or trust a product that looks like this? Yes. Many! :P

My assumptions being right, he's losing money B)

Edited by 1976fenderhead