Why become a member? ×

Psychedelic paint job project #1

deefer_dog

Well, I took a Vintage EST 96, and decided i was going to do something with it, I had planned on doing a simple paint job, ( white, with a simple nod to Calvin and Hobbes in black, but I decided to hand it over, and got someone to go mad on it for me. I have to say, when I said 'Go mad' I never dreamed she would go this mad!

Phrases that got thrown around theme wise were, Tim Burton-esque, Mark Ryden, and 'Acid Trip'. Here is the result so far.

Different to say the least.

Setting it up when it's done will be good as the action was always really high on this bass :)

[quote name='deefer_dog' timestamp='1341486922' post='1719826']
Teeth were agreed, big warped smiles.......

The scratchplate isn't going back on BigRedX...... It's more of an eye candy piece than the regular player. Might run an LED strip on it too.
[/quote]

Cool! It will need a PU surround though won't it?

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1342112361' post='1729832']
get a clear perspex guard! that would look cool and protect some of the painting.
[/quote]
That's the plan for just around the PUP...... Getting a smooth lacquer coat will be the hard bit!

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1342207544' post='1731826']
Two cans, let it dry for a couple of weeks then flat sand and polish. Job done.
[/quote]
That's the plan, except I just have one big can rather than two small ones. Looking forward to getting the finished product tomorrow. I'll be doing the next one myself!

• 4 weeks later...

Psychedelic paintjob is being finished, just need to make sure clear coat is good before reassembly and set up. In the meantime, here's two of mine.

( I know the PUP on the Tanglewood Funkmaster is down on one side............ It needs to be set up aswell and cleaned as it's filthy )

Edited by deefer_dog

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' timestamp='1344981639' post='1772099']
Best paint job ever.
[/quote]

It's pretty different. Cheers! Need a few coats of clear on it, and a proper set up, and I'll try get it in rotation for gigs ;)

Can't wait until I have it in working order again!

It used to be a pig to play, but now I have a chance to set it up properly. Get the action nice and low. The neck is lovely, but the action was always miles high!! Get a proper set up, and a set of Super Slinkies on it over the next week or so!

I have officially named this bass 'Kiddies Nightmare' ;)

Edited by deefer_dog

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1346678910' post='1791817']
fantastic - you get a very cool business going here :)
[/quote]

I didn't paint this one, it was done with acrylic believe it or not. I'll have to give it some more clear coats in the coming weeks I'd say!! Get strings, a new battery, and set it up LOW! :D