Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine editor

Joel McIver

The sad thing for the magazine is that, presumably, contributors to this forum are the exact target market that the magazine is aimed at.

It would save quite a bit of expensive market research if the editor and the owners read this thread and picked up on the points raised about what's important to us, including:[list]
[*]Better proofreading
[*]Better standard of writing
[*]Better research/checking facts
[*]Less very expensive basses and more reviews of basses within our price range
[*]Less focus on exotic players and more focus on bassists most people will have heard of
[*]Less concentration on style/instruments that most of us don't identify with (e.g less slap, less five and six strings)
[/list]
and so on...

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358469279' post='1940006']
I must admit I was quite impressed to discover that the usually intelligent, erudite and eminently sensible Yolanda Charles owns the only example of a Fender Jazz that was built before Leo himself even thought about making it.

" I also play a Fender Jazz 55, which is is lovely but I don't use it so much these days" . .
[/quote]

A Fender Jazz 55 is also known as a Fender Jazz Super 55?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1358502500' post='1940250']
A Fender Jazz 55 is also known as a Fender Jazz Super 55?
[/quote]

I could be wrong but I can't imagine Yolanda C naming a bass after a set of aftermarket pickups?

Seems more likely that BGM interviewer and/or proof reader made a mistake when she was discussing her beloved [b]1965[/b] Fender Jazz that she's been playing for years and is often photographed playing. The fact that she says she doesn't use it much any more and that it's been listed as for sale at the Gallery seems to reinforce this:

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=2292&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassga...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]

If she did call this bass a 55 you'd think a bass 'expert' magazine might have picked up on the fact that you couldn't buy a Fender Jazz until 1960 and/or asked her if she meant she'd fitted some Super 55 pickups.

The worst thing is that, if you're a picky bugger like a lot of bassists are, then you might not realise BGM is littered with errors and it might come across that Yolanda either doesn't know what she's talking about or, as often happens with musicians, is claiming to own something ultra-rare to make out she's somehow a bit more 'special' than other players. From what I've seen & heard this really isn't the case with Yolanda.

My money is on a mistake by the magazine. . .

Edited by molan

I must admit that I wouldn't really want to see the magazine full of reviews of 'cheap' basses. I like the fact that they review high end stuff that's hard to find and try out.

If I want to try a £600 Ibanez or Yamaha etc then I can simply whizz down to the local shop and have a go on one.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1358504970' post='1940307']
I'd expect Fender vintage geeks to be camping outside her door with microscopes, UV lights and threatening to name their first born sons after her if it was the real thing.
[/quote]

It is getting a bit chilly out here on the doorstep today with all this snow around but my lads, Charles & Yolanda are huddling up to me for warmth :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358504916' post='1940305']
I must admit that I wouldn't really want to see the magazine full of reviews of 'cheap' basses. I like the fact that they review high end stuff that's hard to find and try out.

If I want to try a £600 Ibanez or Yamaha etc then I can simply whizz down to the local shop and have a go on one.
[/quote]

But they are very useful to the less experienced among us, or those buying their first serious bass. It shows them what to look out for, and what sort of set up specs they should expect, that's if BGM can actually be bothered to measure nut width, string spacing, action, neck thickness etc.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358505210' post='1940319']
It is getting a bit chilly out here on the doorstep today with all this snow around but my lads, Charles & Yolanda are huddling up to me for warmth :)
[/quote]LOL :) Too bad we don't have a like function for posts any more!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358505263' post='1940321']
But they are very useful to the less experienced among us, or those buying their first serious bass. It shows them what to look out for, and what sort of set up specs they should expect, that's if BGM can actually be bothered to measure nut width, string spacing, action, neck thickness etc.
[/quote]

I totally agree - it's just that they'd have to potentially print this in every issue as new buyers come into the market.

I think the US mags publish a compendium of reviews once a year & have all this sort of stuff in for new players. The better newsagents used to carry a few copies & keep them on-shelf all year for reference.

Probably not practical these days :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358505688' post='1940333']I totally agree - it's just that they'd have to potentially print this in every issue as new buyers come into the market.[/quote]

While I realise you're saying "every issue" for dramatic effect, it allows us to explore the idea that the better magazines, mixing interviews/articles and product reviews/tests, take a cyclical view to what they publish, so they have a content plan that will usually extend to 18 or 24 months. They also know that back issues are both an information resource and revenue stream, so routinely cross-refer content. Fortunately, for a magazine concentrating on musical instruments/technologies, manufacturers have a tendency to update their product every year or few years, giving the magazine a never-ending supply of product to review. Unless BGM actually wants to be a niche within a niche within a niche then that fact is manna. Reviews in isolation can often feel formulaic irrespective of the price tag, but are all fine and well. Grouping and comparison testing is potentially a better real world approach. Reviewers that are able to relate and cross-refer product is also another real world assistance. It's all about striking the balance, between the entry/hobbyist and the professional/elitist, and the magazine should know its readership, in terms of experience and income, because it has used its subscriber requests/renewals system or its readership survey/annual awards to profile the relevant criteria. Interviews/articles can then be themed and targeted, but that requires an editorship with an open mind, taking a non-judgmental stance, keeping a finger on the pulse of trends and styles, and aiming to get a balance of interesting, as well as controversial, interviewees, mixing the well established/respected with the current/break-through. But, you don't get that by asking every interviewee if they slap, while laughing into your studded-gloved hand.

Edited by noelk27

That missing Mike Lull review and duplicate cheap Fender acoustic review is the last straw for me. It's inexcusable and amatuerish. I received a subscription renewal letter this week and then read one of the shoddiest issues they've done yet, sorry chaps, after having all 87 issues to date I've had enough now. For £40 a year it's not up to muster.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1358448977' post='1939477']
It's a shame that Joel hasn't come on here with his viewpoint at this moment in time. From what I've seen from his posts on here, he seems a decent enough bloke willing to hold his hands up if something has gone a bit pear shaped with the mag. Maybe the foul up was at the printers as has been mentioned previously?

The double Fender ABG feature aside, I thought this months copy was a good read, but have started getting a bit bored with reading about bass players who don't use a particular technique or a 4/5/6 string bass. That definitely needs to be binned - I'd rather have those pages devoted to another interview devoted to a particular bass player (any genre, don't care which), which would be far more useful.
[/quote]

I'm here guys. I'm completely gutted about the errors in the current issue, a couple of which are my fault and others were mistakes made by the office staff. Apologies, we're working on it.

Joel

[quote name='Joel McIver' timestamp='1358588313' post='1941680']
I'm here guys.

Joel
[/quote]

Well done for putting your head above the parapet, Joel. Take a deep breath and read through the last few pages. Then talk to your finance people about putting a bit more money in the pot for proof-reading and such.

There are also some useful comments you could feed back as "market research from your key targets".

Thanks for popping in Joel
I'm sticking with BGM despite the mistakes and howlers. Really enjoyed the Yolanda interview this month and last month's Glen Hughes/Andy Fraser double interview was a treat.
I like having a proper hard copy mag. I loved th Steve Harris cover photo on the Oct issue and have it pinned to my fridge. You can't do that with an on line mag, lol :-)

I'm here guys. I'm completely gutted about the errors in the current issue, a couple of which are my fault and others were mistakes made by the office staff. Apologies, we're working on it.

Joel
[/quote]Kudos for putting your hand up there Joel and for even posting after the recent (deserved) wringing BCers have given the mag. We look forward to an improved product.

EDIT: BTW I'm pretty sure some BCers would do the proof reading for a free subscription.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1358590034' post='1941711']
Thanks for popping in Joel
I'm sticking with BGM despite the mistakes and howlers. Really enjoyed the Yolanda interview this month and last month's Glen Hughes/Andy Fraser double interview was a treat.
I like having a proper hard copy mag. I loved th Steve Harris cover photo on the Oct issue and have it[b] pinned to my fridge[/b]. You can't do that with an on line mag, lol :-)
[/quote]

Thanks for that 'Shell. I don't feel quite so creepy now for doing a similar thing with the Yolanda cover.

Glad to hear from you Joel.

I know you'll be buried under advice/tips but have you spotted the threads about the Charity Bass Relay? Started and led by Jim Ryan of this parish. It could make a great magazine feature, and help raise even more money for a worthy cause.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1358590370' post='1941715']EDIT: BTW I'm pretty sure some BCers would do the proof reading for a free subscription.[/quote]

With the best will in the world, how many who would do it for that "rate" of pay that would have the command of English required? If they haven't, they might catch duplicated articles but we may still have howlers like using the word "of" instead of "have" which is very common on this forum. As in "I would of thought that was obvious".
If the idea is just to make the mag better than it sometimes is now then that's no basis at all.

You'd also have to decide how much of the mag was to be checked, how much is printed as-is on the responsibility of the writer etc etc. Break that amount of reading down into an hourly rate & it'd make minimum wage seem generous.
If it's being done as a favour to the magazine as a matter of bassist's pride then IME favours have a habit of falling by the way-side.

If Joel has access to all the people needed to produce a magazine at all, then he has access to people who can do it properly - with the right levels of concentration consistently applied.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1358590877' post='1941729']I know you'll be buried under advice/tips but have you spotted the threads about the Charity Bass Relay? Started and led by Jim Ryan of this parish. It could make a great magazine feature, and help raise even more money for a worthy cause.[/quote]

Brilliant idea! With a gig review of each band using it to follow it's progress - and give publicity to the band.

Edited by Big_Stu

Joel
[/quote]

Props to Joel for coming on here, and if it makes for a better magazine, that can only be a good thing.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1358595228' post='1941842']

With the best will in the world, how many who would do it for that "rate" of pay that would have the command of English required? If they haven't, they might catch duplicated articles but we may still have howlers like using the word "of" instead of "have" which is very common on this forum. As in "I would of thought that was obvious".
If the idea is just to make the mag better than it sometimes is now then that's no basis at all.
[/quote]Well TBH even the most humble BCer seems to find errors just by reading it; this thread is proof of that. Your comment about the standard of the reader, and their grasp of grammar, is noted, but if you had a number of members performing this task I'm sure it'd be better than little or no proofing at all. To be fair my original comment was a throwaway line, more in jest than anything else (thus added as an afterthought). However, it now occurs to me that it might not have been such a daft idea as there are a good number of members here in teaching. Also a quick read through our regular threads on grammar would highlight some likely candidates.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1358590877' post='1941729']
Thanks for that 'Shell. I don't feel quite so creepy now for doing a similar thing with the Yolanda cover.

Glad to hear from you Joel.

I know you'll be buried under advice/tips but [b]have you spotted the threads about the Charity Bass Relay?[/b] Started and led by Jim Ryan of this parish. It could make a great magazine feature, and help raise even more money for a worthy cause.
[/quote]
[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1358595228' post='1941842']

You'd also have to decide how much of the mag was to be checked, how much is printed as-is on the responsibility of the writer etc etc. Break that amount of reading down into an hourly rate & it'd make minimum wage seem generous.
If it's being done as a favour to the magazine as a matter of bassist's pride then IME favours have a habit of falling by the way-side.

If Joel has access to all the people needed to produce a magazine at all, then he has access to people who can do it properly - with the right levels of concentration consistently applied.

[b]Brilliant idea! With a gig review of each band using it to follow it's progress - and give publicity to the band[/b].
[/quote]

I agree, this would make for a great series of articles. Something different and fresh for the magazine. I feel a lot of people are getitng board of [i]Bassically Speaking[/i], perhaps this could take it's place for a while?

For the record my subscription is still in place and will remain so. Keep working at it Joel.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1358599212' post='1941918']
Well TBH even the most humble BCer seems to find errors just by reading it; this thread is proof of that. Your comment about the standard of the reader, and their grasp of grammar, is noted, but if you had a number of members performing this task I'm sure it'd be better than little or no proofing at all. To be fair my original comment was a throwaway line, more in jest than anything else (thus added as an afterthought). However, it now occurs to me that it might not have been such a daft idea as there are a good number of members here in teaching. Also a quick read through our regular 'grammar Nazi' threads would highlight some likely candidates.
[/quote]

When does anyone who demands a reasonable standard of written language in a written medium become a grammar Nazi?

In printed media, I demand a high standard of language and grammar in addition to quality content, after all, I am chucking a fiver at the publishers.

BGM has not improved. I am tired of the same mistakes being apologised for year in year out with no improvement despite editor and publisher changes. You'll notice the price has increased, but the poor standards remain. If your band made the same mistakes every gig for years you'd be laughed out of the venues and get less and less work and punters.

It will be a hell of a job to rescue BGM now I think.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358606746' post='1942103']
You'll notice the price has increased, but the poor standards remain.
[/quote]

Just wanted to point out that the price of everything has increased with no improvement. Trains, for example.

I agree though, I can't abide even paying 20p for some daft "newspaper" and there being mistakes or poor use of basic grammar in it. Some are worse than others though. I haven't bought any issue of BGM, i find things like that all a bit overwhelming and, well, a bit nerdy. I used to read practical performance car a lot, and if you ask me, every magazine should be like it. (except, not about cars).

Just as a fr'instance; all of these marks written among a proof of text would mean something different to a proof-reader than they would to an average reader...

^ = [ ]
There's also things like a triple underline of a word meaning one thing (change it to capitals) & a single underline another (if it's normal roman text make it italic - or vice-versa)

..... whether or not the guys doing the typing at BGM would know those marks without needing an essay in the margin to explain is another question altogether.
And yes, much of the shorthand is redundant due to computerisation but there are many places that use it - and some still insist on it. Many newspapers for eg.

It'd be interesting to know what rates they have for one-off articles. I'd have, as an example, no qualms for taking my bass to a nearby-ish shop (Dawson's in Manchester since they post on here - or did, as an example) for them to write a review of it. Not for readers to think about buying one but as a Reader's [s]Wives[/s] Bass section. Any other willing BCers would keep such a column going for quite a while.