Why become a member? ×

Mustang/Bronco Project

waynepunkdude

I have a bass body that I believe was once yours Wayne - a Precision routed for an extra MM pickup. Bright yellow.

Was it you that painted it? Immaculate job, respect. It now has a Japanese Precision neck (was once Chris Beedster's) and SD pickups and is loverley.

Can you tell me more about the priming/topcoat? How many coats of primer do you use? What grade of sandpaper do you use? How many topcoats? What type of paint? Sorry for all the questions, but there is an Aria jazz in my local cash converter and I fancy having a go at a re-fin meself... :)

Hi Wayne, I did something very similar to a bronco. Consider replacing that pickup. I bought a £15 Artec hotrail off ebay for mine and it helped the tone immeasurably. There are also other pup alternatives that fit. That stock strat pup is rubbish. I also added a cheap £10 high bass bridge.

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/bassoline/bronc-new.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1342092223' post='1729360']
Hi Wayne, I did something very similar to a bronco. Consider replacing that pickup. I bought a £15 Artec hotrail off ebay for mine and it helped the tone immeasurably. There are also other pup alternatives that fit. That stock strat pup is rubbish. I also added a cheap £10 high bass bridge.

[/quote]

That looks very good mate, I'll look into the hotrail on the bridge front I want something that looks different to my other p's and J's so that will remain.

I will give a break down on what I used and what have you when I get home.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1342109133' post='1729764']
All this is making me want a Bronco to mod! Is the pickup literally just the same size as a strat pickup?
[/quote] Yes, so far as I know the original Bronco's pickup [i]was[/i] a strat pickup but with the solid cover to hide the oddity of having 6 poles for 4 strings. I've got a Bronco I picked up for sixty quid on fleabay, mint condition. Cheap as chips!!!