Why become a member? ×

stingray gas

mushers

for some reason i realy want to get me a stingray 5 string with maple board, i have no idea why i just want it like a spoilt kid in a toy shop.
thing is can i justify such a purchase ? i already have a ray35 which is great but its not got a maple board >.< i could play my ATK but i dont :(
someone talk some sense into me before i part with hard earned cash on something i almost already have.
i very nearly bought a sr5 classic from bass direct this weekend it was a bit of relief when i looked this morning it had already sold
do i need a stingray ? or not

My next purchase will be a Stingray Classic five, I love my pre EB but play my five 90% of the time so it's a done deal really. As musicman20 knows I went round the houses to buy an Alnico loaded parallel wired Ray5 hence the 2010 in my sig, since falling for the 5 I traded my gorgeous teal sr4 for another 5 as a spare, I now favour the ceramic in the series position :lol: bloody gas eh?

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1341172879' post='1714743']
Do you mean like this, Mushers? I think it's very probable you need one but only you can tell - well at least that's what happens to me when I want a Musicman bass :)
[/quote]

that bass is very nice indeed would love a white one, i have no idea why white never did it for me before
frustrating thing is wifey demanded a dog just after xmas i flat out refuesed until she offered to buy me a stingray :) but when i went to buy one i walked out with a ray 35 which i ended up paying for anyway, her argument being thats not a stingray !

[quote name='mushers' timestamp='1341173410' post='1714759']

that bass is very nice indeed would love a white one, i have no idea why white never did it for me before
frustrating thing is wifey demanded a dog just after xmas i flat out refuesed until she offered to buy me a stingray :) but when i went to buy one i walked out with a ray 35 which i ended up paying for anyway, her argument being thats not a stingray !
[/quote]

Mine is a white Ray 5 HS, Tort guard, rosewood board.

Stunning looking bass!

Had one and sold it. Don't miss it at all.
Nice enough bass. Well made and all that, but I kept using other basses instead.
Replaced it with something similar but better (for me)
Try not to think "I want a Stingray 5"
Try to aim for "I've got £1.5k to spend on a 5 string. I'm going to have a lot of fun finding something awesome. I might try a Stingray 5"

i have no idea being honest played a few last year in the shops all new what pick ups would they have had and is there a big difference?

edit see they come with Alnico on most sites and my ray35 has Alnico so i will probably go the Alnico route

Edited by mushers

2007 onwards are Alnico although my 2007 is a very late ceramic model, the Alnico will give you the typical Ray sound but the ceramic ones sound great too, more twangy to my ears. If your buying new it should have the battery box near the lower horn and the horizontal pickup switch rather than sloping, any shop selling them without those features are trying to sell you an old one as new, that's not a problem as long as the price reflects that :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1341343047' post='1717468']
I'm fairly new to the Stingray family, wanted one for years but always ended up with something else for one reason or another, now I have one can't see myself being with out one again!
[/quote]

I tried one in the 90's and found it big and clunky, bought a new Bass Collection SGC Nayno in trans green instead (great basses), few years later went to buy a Warwick Jazzman and the pre amp was faulty straight from the factory! I had £1250 in my pocket and bought my first Ray instead, now look at me :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341336228' post='1717315']
2007 onwards are Alnico although my 2007 is a very late ceramic model, the Alnico will give you the typical Ray sound but the ceramic ones sound great too, more twangy to my ears.
[/quote]

Seconded!