Why become a member? ×

Powering My Effects - Couple of Questions...

bassjamm

Hi all,

I'm looking at venturing into the world of effects board madness and what not. Got myself an M13, but I've also got a few other pedals that I want to be using too.

I've got, and need to power the following:

Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket V1 (this runs on an American current, guessing I'll have to use the current power supply for this regardless)
Boss OC-2 (9v)
Boss TU-3 (9v)
EBS OctaBass (9v)
Ibanez SB7 (9v22mA)

Will I be ok to just get a power supply and use a daisy chain, like this one here - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-POWER-SUPPLY-5-WAY-SPLITTER-CABLE-/150569753113?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item230ea81a19#ht_713wt_956"]Daisy Chain Power Supply[/url] ???

If that's not wise, then would this be more suitable - [url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/PSU-HSB-ALL.aspx"]Behringer Power the World[/url]

Now, if either of these options aren't wise, could someone please explain why daisy chains aren't a good idea, and offer an affordable/cheap solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jamie

Daisy chains aren't a good idea because they aren't isolated and can easily add noise and humming to your signal. I went for the [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm"]Harley Benton PowerPlant Junior[/url], it need a power socket adapter (One that you get with an electroic razor, pound shop jobbie) but has 5 isolated 9v outputs with 120mA each, and is pretty solid.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1340788267' post='1709490']
Daisy chains aren't a good idea because they aren't isolated and can easily add noise and humming to your signal.[/quote]

This is often true but not for all pedals - some don't mind being daisy-chained and make little noise, some do mind.

I use a Godlyke Powerall to power my 2 Boss pedals, the Distortion & the Bass Murf with no probs. The Moog LPF won't share power without squealing like a biatch, even after doing the copper shield mod!

you need to find out how much current each pedal needs. If the PSU has seperate outs, each output must provide enough current for the relevant pedal. If you're looking at daisy chains, then the PSU must provide enough current for all of your pedals combined.

In the OP you say the SB7 is 22mA but later say it's 220mA?

From the net it looks like

OC-2 4mA
TU-2 55mA
EBS 10mA
SB7 22mA

Total 91

which most PSUs will do with ease, but that does look very low to me. I have a godlyke powerall which does up to 3 amps and still doesn't cover all my digital pedals.

I use that Harley Benton Power Plant Jnr liam posted and it is great to have isolated outputs. Thomann also do a copy of the T-Rex Fuel Tank. While this doesn't have isolated outputs it could power all of those no problem. It has a 12v AC output which would power your Bottle Rocket as well as your other 9v pedals.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant.htm[/url]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1340793009' post='1709585']
I use a Godlyke Powerall to power my 2 Boss pedals, the Distortion & the Bass Murf with no probs. The Moog LPF won't share power without squealing like a biatch, even after doing the copper shield mod!
[/quote]

It's a bit of a faff but get a Diago Isolator or Gigrig Virtual Battery and a polarity reverser and they're completely silent.

[quote name='bassjamm' timestamp='1340790411' post='1709528']
Thanks for that Liam.

How would the Ibanez SB7 which needs a 220mA input cope with that solution then?
[/quote]
Ah your original post states 22ma :)
Yeah it wouldn't like being severely underpowered with 120ma

Looks like the M13 requires around 1300-1400ma AC power, so powering that from a brick will be tough.....unless you have a Gig-Rig ;). You would need the little AC module, but the Generator puts out 5amps, so you could potentially power the M13 plus your other bits from one Generator/Distributor

Look at the Diago solutions as well if you're just going to run the Mesa and M13 on seperate supplies.

Best regards
Simon

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm away from my pedals at the moment so I've probably got te SB-7 rating wrong in my last post.

I'm happy to run the M13 and Bottle rocket separately as I don't want to spend a fortune to sort this all out. Cheaper is the only option I have.

I'll check out the diago options suggested. Thanks for that.

As for Daisy chaining. As I understand it. I need to work out the total amount of amps required to run the pedals,then make sure the power supply has enough ampage to run the lot yes?

If needed,the Harley Benton solution looks alright,and I could just use a separate power supply for the SB-7 as well.

Hmm...interesting stuff. Thanks for the input everyone!

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1340795521' post='1709636']
You wouldn't be anywhere near the rating for any power supply I know of's max mA output so I wouldn't worry about daisy chaining them at all.
[/quote]

It's not relevant in this case (as he would daisy chain from a power supply), but it depends what you're daisy-chaining from. If you daisy chain from a Boss tuner for example (which I do in another minimal setup), that only has a 200ma output.

Si

I've got three 9v and a 12v set-up, but the Harley Denton box looks mahoosive, which is a shame as it's a darn sight cheaper than the Gig-Rig stuff. Still, I've not built my pedal board yet, so it's all a bit academic at the moment :)

Alternatively, does anyone know whether a TC Nova Dynamics will run on 9v without ill effect?

Edited by Si600

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1340798074' post='1709689']
I've got three 9v and a 12v set-up, but the Harley Denton box looks mahoosive, which is a shame as it's a darn sight cheaper than the Gig-Rig stuff. Still, I've not built my pedal board yet, so it's all a bit academic at the moment :)

[/quote]

It's about the size of a pedal, so it's not the smallest, though there's much bigger as well. If you check the Post Your Pedal Board thread, my board is in there in the last few pages so you can see how big it actually is. For £22+delivery (Which is a tenner, but if you throw in some extra bits like i did, it's not as bad), with 5 isolated 120mA outputs, you can complain too much. Mine's just shoved away in a corner on my board and not really taking up that much room.

Liam

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting fed up with what I thought was an unreliable daisy chain, but Im now starting to think Im overloading a single power supply - with 1300mA I should have enough but Ive learnt to be wary of manufacturers specs. Whatever the problem, Ive been on the lookout for something better.

Cheers for the Power Plant Junior recommendation, Ive now got a couple on order. Should be plenty of power and the lack of ground loops will be nice. :)

EDIT: speling

Edited by Mikey R

Knowing allot of people and band members who work in music retail they always say get these...

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/voodoo_labpedal_power_2_plus.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ower_2_plus.htm[/url]

Their expensive but all of your power requirements will be sorted forever.
I've seen cheaper power supply units used in the past and at many venues you can/will get noise issues.

I'm hoping to do the same soon and jump into the world of pedal boards, much easier when your on a multi band night
and need quick change overs.

Cheers.

Edited by baseline9