Why become a member? ×

Marketing Ploys ... Do you fall for them?

BassPimp66

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1340459373' post='1704732']
Warwicks marketing is world class. On a par with BMW. And their endorsee list is the envy of most bass manufacturers.
All they need is Vic Wooten, (they have Reggie) and that would be that. I reckon it's only a matter of time.
[/quote]
[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1340459940' post='1704743']
I find Warwick marketing actually pretty factual compared to some other brands. Nothing wrong with them.
[/quote]

This is very nice to hear...thanks for the comments! We feel that our products speak for themselves, without the need to add scantily clad ladies or similar things to our ads. Marketing is a necessity, but honesty and factual information are enduring qualities that appeal to all markets. Thanks again!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1340460332' post='1704750']
Over at - say - Gibson there's probably some old boy named Morty, with a comb-over and a shirt pocket with biros in it. Fourpence to spend on ads, has a nap in the afternoon, that sort of thing.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

That is exactly how I've always imagined Gibson's marketing department.

However, I suspect "Morty" is an alter ego of Henry himself.

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/trends/gibson-provides-a-stage-for-rising-guitar-stars/4002184.article

[color=#E0D9CB][font=Times][size=3]
[color=#000000][b]A.R.E. (Acoustic Resonance Enhancement)[/b][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#E0D9CB][font=Times][size=3]
[color=#000000]A.R.E. (Acoustic Resonance Enhancement) is an original wood reforming technology developed by Yamaha. Instruments made with woods processed with this technology produce a tonal richness that is like vintage instruments that have been played for years. This technology is currently applied to the BB2000 Series[/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#E0D9CB][font=Times][size=3]
[color=#000000]A.R.E technology uses precision controlled humidity and temperature to manipulate the molecular properties of the wood into a more acoustically ideal condition (similar to the molecular characteristics of woods in instruments that have been played for years). [/color][color=#000000] [/color][color=#000000] :gas:[/color][/size][/font][/color]

I have a couple of Planet Waves guitar leads that are marked at one end so you connect them the right way round. I do plug the marked end into the amp as a sort of superstition, and I have seen a technical explanation of why it is necessary, but I still don't believe it makes any difference.

The obsession with exotic material signal cables always cracks me up.

I always point out to people what a tiny proportion of overall the signal path these leads make up, especially when you consider how much wire is in the average microphone voice coil, pickup, signal transformer and speaker coil...

The mains-lead snake oil makes me laugh, too. Given the crappy electrical infrastructure that gets the power to your house in the first place! As if a metre-long cable from your wall to your amp is going to make a difference! *laughs hysterically*.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1340625358' post='1707121']Roasted necks.[/quote]

Ha ha I remember that one - didn't Sterling Ball threaten to chop someone's knackers off on the EBMM forum when they persistently asked what the benefit of "roasting" a bass neck (ooh err... missus) as he could see no perceivable advantage:

[quote]Sterling,
The claims that you have made may very well be true:
* Dimensional stability
* Resistance to warping
* Increased resonance
* Clearer tone
IMO, it's marketing until it can be proven (I come from an Italian family of engineers).

Other manufacturers have made lesser claims indicating that the process is for better drying and for use with less stable, highly figured maple.
from Rodger Sadowsky:
"The result of this treatment is wood that is significantly more resistant to absorbing or releasing moisture. With this increased stability, the "roasted maple" process enables us to offer figured maple neck blanks for the first time in our three decades of instrument making. We have always advocated that figured neck stock was too unstable to use."

Again, not saying your claims are not accurate, just currently un-substantiated.
Understood that you may have technical information regarding the process, testing, and lab results that are company proprietary.

Thanks for the advice about the kids; it's really true; seemed like they were born just the other day.[/quote]

[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/45716-roasted-maple-necks.html"]http://forums.ernieb...aple-necks.html[/url]

Edited by WHUFC BASS

Elixir strings marketing puff, which gets regurgitated and quoted on these boards as if it were fact. What is most annoying are the idiots who quote this sh*t without doing even the most basic of research or who, when presented with patent information which disproves their idiotic assertions, simply refuse to take on board facts.

Oh, I don't know.

Used various other brands for decades, tried Elixir, got 'em on everything now, acoustics (bar one), electrics and basses. The J's had a set on for about 6 years now and it's still fine, if you don't need the zingy-zing sound. They're workable on the guitars for about 6 mths - year if you're just bashing around and you don't have bat-ears.

BigRedX mentions flaky bits if you use a pick. True that, but it doesn't bother me too much. Oh, and I've never had one Elixir string break. Ever.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1340484235' post='1705213']

[color=#E0D9CB][font=Times][size=3][color=#000000][b]A.R.E. (Acoustic Resonance Enhancement)[/b][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#E0D9CB][font=Times][size=3][color=#000000]A.R.E. (Acoustic Resonance Enhancement) is an original wood reforming technology developed by Yamaha. Instruments made with woods processed with this technology produce a tonal richness that is like vintage instruments that have been played for years. This technology is currently applied to the BB2000 Series[/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#E0D9CB][font=Times][size=3][color=#000000]A.R.E technology uses precision controlled humidity and temperature to manipulate the molecular properties of the wood into a more acoustically ideal condition (similar to the molecular characteristics of woods in instruments that have been played for years). [/color][color=#000000] [/color][color=#000000] :gas:[/color][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
[size=4]= Kiln dried...[/size] :lol:

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1340645181' post='1707525']
Elixir strings marketing puff, which gets regurgitated and quoted on these boards as if it were fact. What is most annoying are the idiots who quote this sh*t without doing even the most basic of research or who, when presented with patent information which disproves their idiotic assertions, simply refuse to take on board facts.
[/quote]

What bit is the marketing puff?

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1340646109' post='1707544']
Oh, I don't know.

Used various other brands for decades, tried Elixir, got 'em on everything now, acoustics (bar one), electrics and basses. The J's had a set on for about 6 years now and it's still fine, if you don't need the zingy-zing sound. They're workable on the guitars for about 6 mths - year if you're just bashing around and you don't have bat-ears.

BigRedX mentions flaky bits if you use a pick. True that, but it doesn't bother me too much. Oh, and I've never had one Elixir string break. Ever.
[/quote]

I like the bit where they don't squeak so much if you slide a finger across them, means with my chordyness and loads of treble I can be slightly slacker with my technique without nasty ear shredding sounds. also fingers, so not had the dandruff thing. Never changed any, but not been using them that long in the scheme of things.

Cryo Valves?
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]DEEP CYROGENTIC TREATMENT
The process involves taking the vacuum tubes and freezing them down to -312 f and soaking these for a minimum of 12 hours. Then the temp is held at this low level for 24 hours. The vacuum tubes are then slowly brought up to normal levels over the next 12 hours.
The biggest benefits I have found has been a dramatic improvement in dymanic range. Bass response has been clearer with reduction in microphonics[/font]. :gas:

Edited by BassPimp66

I love these threads :) I will see your cryogenic valves and raise you a £5000/metre speaker cable.

[font=inherit][size=2]Not just any speaker cable. The marketing blurb for the Kimber Select KS-6068 is unequivocal: “Listening confirms that they are significantly better, with a lower noise floor and even better detail retrieval and transparency.”[/size][/font]
[font=inherit][size=2]And just in case your hi-fi system is just too far away from your speakers, you can upgrade to the 3.5m variant for £21,387.57. Yes, that’s more than £5,000 per metre[/size][/font]

[font=inherit][size=2]Read more: [url="http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2011/02/08/the-most-expensive-cable-in-the-world/#ixzz1yqSQO3Uu"]The most expensive cable in the world? | PC Pro blog[/url] [url="http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2011/02/08/the-most-expensive-cable-in-the-world/#ixzz1yqSQO3Uu"]http://www.pcpro.co..../#ixzz1yqSQO3Uu[/url][/size][/font]

These are a snip too:
[font=inherit][size=2]http://www.cheshireaudio.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Nordost.html[/size][/font]

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1340466579' post='1704869']
That is basically it, although the buffer needs to be done well to work properly. The thing that got people into the habit of believing it was explained in the link, the early wah pedals caused a lot of tone problems due to simple switching....
[/quote]

My Jim Dunlop wah pedal was atrocious and the only thing I've ever felt the need to switch to true bypass, which made the world of difference. 90's pedal too so it's not just the early ones (although I have a feeling they never really updated the buffer design). And of course it sits behind a buffered TU-3 which to my ears sounds fine.

The D'addario 'magic bag' that keeps the strings fresh until they are opened always slightly amuses me.

'Hand selected' woods on various basses.

The EBS blurb on the Classic T90 always amuses me

'[color=#000000][font=Georgia,]The special designed transformers are overdimensioned[/font][/color]' Wow, special and overdimensioned, that must make it so great.

[color=#000000][font=Georgia,]'all materials carefully selected to perform at a maximum level - at all times.' So all their other amps are not designed to perform at maximum levels at all times, ie they just don't work as advertised? Were the materials on my Fafner not carefully selected? [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Georgia,]'[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia,]The tubes are quality selected and matched with precision'. You mean they don't just just take whatever they can find and throw it in there? It must be very nice indeed.[/font][/color]

The dimensions of the output transformer are pretty much directly related to its low frequency efficiency, so pretty fair statement. Loads of valve amps are designed not to perform at maximum level at all times, its called power supply sag, and its pretty common in amps, they have restricted capacity power filtering which adds compression.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1340711349' post='1708364']
The dimensions of the output transformer are pretty much directly related to its low frequency efficiency, so pretty fair statement. Loads of valve amps are designed not to perform at maximum level at all times, its called power supply sag, and its pretty common in amps, they have restricted capacity power filtering which adds compression.
[/quote]

Okay, thanks. I knew the correlation between size of output transformers to low frequency response, to which my view is that it be great if every bass amp should have 'overdimensioned' transformers.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1340711794' post='1708375']
Okay, thanks. I knew the correlation between size of output transformers to low frequency response, to which my view is that it be great if every bass amp should have 'overdimensioned' transformers.
[/quote]

Its only good if you like really heavy amps that don't sound very valvey. A whole bunch of the characteristics of a valve amps tone is down to the limitations of the transformer, the high pass nature is what keeps cabs happy, and there is some compression stuff too. Get big enough and might as well go SS. My green Matamp has an output transformer the size of a child's head and sounds no different to my SS Matamp power amp, until seriously cranked.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1340714166' post='1708424']
Its only good if you like really heavy amps that don't sound very valvey. A whole bunch of the characteristics of a valve amps tone is down to the limitations of the transformer, the high pass nature is what keeps cabs happy, and there is some compression stuff too. Get big enough and might as well go SS. My green Matamp has an output transformer the size of a child's head and sounds no different to my SS Matamp power amp, until seriously cranked.
[/quote]

And I didn't know that! Cheers.