Why become a member? ×

NME: Greatest basslines

jaydentaku

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340020314' post='1697634']
They are both fine bass players but memorable bass lines from them - not really...

There's the solo in "My Generation" but that's just a solo the rest of the song is all about the vocals

As for Jack Bruce, while there's plenty of notable guitar parts in Cream I doubt I'd be able to recognise any of his work from the bass line alone. In the end that's what it's all about.
[/quote]

That solo changed the way people looked at bass in the mainstream forever, and clapton harldly wrote anything for cream... was mainly jack, so clapton was just copying jack :P

[quote name='Lewk' timestamp='1340182397' post='1700366']
That solo changed the way people looked at bass in the mainstream forever, and clapton harldly wrote anything for cream... was mainly jack, so clapton was just copying jack :P
[/quote]

Still doesn't make any of it great basslines (and that's what the article was all about). They might be great solos and great writing, but great basslines, no.

bit shocked by most on that list although some have been on similar lists in the past

but why were the pixies at number 1 ? i had to listen to the song as i had never heard it and had only seen them on the tv at glastonbury were the bass player just looked awkward and sounded pretty much the same

theres so many awesome basslines around i would have liked to see the jam or the clash perhaps even some motown, but my fave bassline to play at the moment is 9 to 5 by Dolly !

let the public hanging begin :)

On the subject of Cream I think a lot of people (admittedly of a certain age) would recognise 'Badge' just from the bassline alone without necessarily knowing the name of the song.
Moondance was clearly ommitted from the list just incase Bilbo was browsig the NME ;)

Edited by KevB

In defence of the NME writer, she does simply state "here are my 10 top, but more importantly what are yours?"

So whilst most will agree her choices are lame, she is not saying they are anything other than hers, she is highlighting the bassists role in music, surely we shouldn't knock that ?

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1339968528' post='1697105']
Burlesque (there's nowhere near enough love for John Wetton round these parts)
[/quote]

Very nearly put him in my top 10 in a recent thread. Didn't in the end cos I'm a real Family/Streetwalkers/Chapman fan and I thought I might be biased because of that. (didn't stop me putting Gary Twigg in said list though)!

Edited to add or Jerome Rimson, or Boz Burrel

Edited by Count Bassy

This once again raises the important point - great basslines need not be overly complicated nor technically beyond the realm of even the average player. They can still be memorable and, most importantly, add to and serve the other components of the song.

Hhahahaha that article is hilarious, two 'walking basslines' she's listed there, except they're not are they? Plus the list is utter cack. No Duck Dunn? In fact no, screw my taste, I know the music I like is the best ;) but anyone's taste would be fine if it were good. this article encapsulates everything that's wrong with music journalism, they haven't got even a vague clue, seem to be much more concerned with dictating what's 'cool' than sharing any real love for music, and are clearly on the verge of cultural starvation with the narrow range of piffle they listen to.

fools gold the roses....
delerium...no....roundabout......no ermmm....sod it anything of fragile.....no erm....yours is no disgrace....sod it anything by chris squire!!!
the night...frankie valli
no class...lemmy...
red barchetta...geddy.....
5:15 the ox
bell boy... the ox
oh theres to many...i only really watch bassests......shes wrote a crock of sh*te......we do cannonball but it sounds real different,same as 7 nation army and our trance version of NIB!!