Why become a member? ×

Oh No! My bass is broken.

bertbass

I think the point is that regardless of whether it's active or passive a broken bass is a broken bass and no bass, no gig or at least a gig with no bottom end and we all know that that's the best bit.

Both the flying V and strat were passive but a broken off head stock would have put any guitar or bass out of action.

The insulation on the socket on my bass had broken down so no amount of bending would have got it working again and the same would have applied with a passive bass. Had I had a spare jack socket, even a mono one and as a bass player I find it remiss of me not to have one in my spares case, I could have got the bass working again but it would have delayed the start of the first set and left me not the cool, calm chap I should be on stage. But using the spare, no problem.

I never had any problems in over 25 years of gigging (true) but I always take along a stool and an acoustic bass just in case my jack socket craps out on me :D ... it's not quite the same seeing as we play very heavy rock and my drummer is about the loudest in the city... but hey at least I'll never have to ask for a shot of someone else's bass. :D

(Good shout btw Pete :lol:)

[b]Same thing happened to me at a gig with my trusty (or has it turned out my not so trusty !) Passive Precision , Jack Socket Failure !![/b]
[b]No support band,, No spare bass,,Miles away from home :angry: [/b]
[b]Luckily one of our Roadies spotted the fault and butchered a guitar lead and Soldered the wires on to the Jack socket wires , saved the gig,[/b]
[b] Never leave home without a spare one now, even to rehearsals[/b]

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339965092' post='1697018']
I only own passive basses, this is one of the reasons! Both the actives I've owned have had electronics trouble... Plus I prefer the midrange and attack of a passive!
[/quote]

why do you assume a passive bass has to have a significantly different midrange and attack from an active bass?
These two things are unrelated to whether you have a preamp there or not (with or without EQ).

Not saying passive is worse or anything, but "just sayin'"

[quote name='jaybass 70' timestamp='1340001789' post='1697299']
[b]Same thing happened to me at a gig with my trusty (or has it turned out my not so trusty !) Passive Precision , Jack Socket Failure !![/b]
[b]No support band,, No spare bass,,Miles away from home :angry: [/b]
[b]Luckily one of our Roadies spotted the fault and butchered a guitar lead and Soldered the wires on to the Jack socket wires , saved the gig,[/b]
[b]Never leave home without a spare one now, even to rehearsals[/b]
[/quote]Spare roadie? What a good idea.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340057802' post='1698585']
why do you assume a passive bass has to have a significantly different midrange and attack from an active bass?
These two things are unrelated to whether you have a preamp there or not (with or without EQ).

Not saying passive is worse or anything, but "just sayin'"
[/quote]

All of the active basses I've tried sounded 'smoother' in the midrange, with a big bottom and and extremely glassy highs. Not bad sounds by any means, but didn't seem to have as much character to me. I found I was always turning the treble down, but leaving the mids where they were as they didn't sound 'right' boosted.

All this is IME of course!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340064845' post='1698708']
All of the active basses I've tried sounded 'smoother' in the midrange, with a big bottom and and extremely glassy highs. Not bad sounds by any means, but didn't seem to have as much character to me. I found I was always turning the treble down, but leaving the mids where they were as they didn't sound 'right' boosted.

[/quote]

I see what you mean, I think that's what I call "modern sounding" and I don't particularly like that sound.
But a Stingray or a Jazz with a J-Retro are quite different animals, as are many others. There really is as wide a variety as in passive basses.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340064845' post='1698708']

[/quote]

try some more :D