Why become a member? ×

Stamina

bluesparky

I've been working quite hard on my music theory and how it applies to my bass playing over the past few months but I noticed today that when I went to jam along with a few old tunes my fingers were aching halfway through the first song I started.
It wasn't too technical really, but was a pretty relentless string of 16th notes, and I realised that my stamina must've dropped off and I need to concentrate on that again.
Does anyone have any suggestions for some GOOD songs to play along too which have quite a ruthless bassline (along the lines of Stockholm Syndrome, or The Trooper etc..) in order to get myself match fit once more?

A few songs I use as warm-ups are as below, as they all involve a fair bit of fretting. Nothing too complicated, but get the fingers warmed up nicely.

It`s too Bad & Down in the Tube Station, by The Jam
Nice & Sleazy, by The Stranglers
Pump it Up, by Elvis Costello

Edited by Lozz196

OK here's the thing - the best way to build stamina is actually to play some long sustained notes on the bass - and rather than just banging away through fast, relentless songs, why not just play some simple scales or melodic patterns, slowly, in time and a few minutes at a time? This way you'll be not only building the muscles in your hands/arms you'll also be improving your coordination, timing and by holding the notes longer your tone as well. It's also worth looking at your bass's set up and making sure you're not fighting the instrument - if the action is too high, strings too heavy etc - you could be wearing yourself out just be fighting the physicality of the bass - get some medium weight strings and your bass set up properly - by a pro if possible - and playing should be a lot easier. Stamina/endurance also comes from playing a lot but can be helped hugely by working on your basic technique - it'll also help avoid any serious injuries bad posture and or hand position may inflict over time.

Hope that helps

M

IMO, it's not so important what you actually play. Stamina comes from building up your playing time gradually. With regards playing fast, as "OliverBlackman" says above, start slowly and build up the tempo gradually.

Make sure to warm up and down either side of a practice session also.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1339767742' post='1694031']
OK here's the thing - the best way to build stamina is actually to play some long sustained notes on the bass - and rather than just banging away through fast, relentless songs, why not just play some simple scales or melodic patterns, slowly, in time and a few minutes at a time? This way you'll be not only building the muscles in your hands/arms you'll also be improving your coordination, timing and by holding the notes longer your tone as well. It's also worth looking at your bass's set up and making sure you're not fighting the instrument - if the action is too high, strings too heavy etc - you could be wearing yourself out just be fighting the physicality of the bass - get some medium weight strings and your bass set up properly - by a pro if possible - and playing should be a lot easier. Stamina/endurance also comes from playing a lot but can be helped hugely by working on your basic technique - it'll also help avoid any serious injuries bad posture and or hand position may inflict over time.

Hope that helps

M
[/quote]

Good post

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1339797925' post='1694765']
I still can't make it all the way through Billie Jean without my arm/fingers/hand wanting to fall off.
[/quote]

The tour i'm on has an 8 minute rendition of Billie Jean with full dance routines.

It really is a killer on stamina playing the f# octave to emulate the synth line as well, all whilst keeping it as smooth as possible!!

Thanks for the advice guys. All points have been noted and taken on board.
FYI I use 45's - 125's and my action isn't overly low - I've played instruments before with strings so thin it's like using cheese wire and an action which is so low you could sound a note just by blowing onto the fretboard which isn't really my cup of tea.
I'm not necessarily out to play the fastest or do 3 hour gigs of nothing but hemi-demi-semi quavers, I'm just looking to regain the prowess used to have (and ideally be able to play Violent & Funky by Infectious Grooves again without having to stress about the thought of it).

Thanks once again.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1339796311' post='1694717']
Relax your plucking hand, don't dig in too hard and don't forget to breathe.
[/quote]

+1
I think what happens when you go from home practice to rehearsal is that you tend to dig in more to get the volume to keep up with the band. Better to turn up the amp and play lighter.

Edited by dincz

If you have any problems playing something then keep playing it until you don't.

Keep playing it and relax, until you stop tensing your muscles when you play.

Turn the volume up so you can play softer.

I'm afraid there isn't any substitute for gigging.