Why become a member? ×

High pass filter 75Hz

dincz

Just acquired a channel strip which includes a switchable 75Hz HPF in the input section. While this is fine for taming low frequencies from a mic, I wonder how suitable it's likely to be for bass use. Modification would be easy (conventional 2 pole Butterworth and no SMD) but what would you recommend as a cutoff frequency?

Edited by dincz

The HPF on my Fishman Plat Pro EQ sweeps from 15Hz to 125Hz. with a 12dB/octave cut. For a fixed cutoff point I would think somewhere around 75-100Hz is probably in the ballpark so what you have will probably work pretty well for bass.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1339768404' post='1694050']
The HPF on my Fishman Plat Pro EQ sweeps from 15Hz to 125Hz. with a 12dB/octave cut. For a fixed cutoff point I would think somewhere around 75-100Hz is probably in the ballpark so what you have will probably work pretty well for bass.
[/quote]

No way! Cut below 75-100Hz and there won't be any fundamentals left in the bottom octave.

40Hz maybe.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1339768404' post='1694050']
[/quote]

I'd dispute that - low E's about 40Hz IIRC and the G's around 100Hz, you'd be cutting almost all of the bass frequencies before you even start! I reckon a -3dB point at about 40Hz would do a decent job of keeping 'rumble' and noise out, but I'm not sure how much of that you'd get :unsure:

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1339768962' post='1694059']
No way! Cut below 75-100Hz and there won't be any fundamentals left in the bottom octave. 40Hz maybe.
[/quote]

OK perhaps that's a little high but the range ion the Fishman HPF is 15-125Hz. As a comparison the range of the variable HPF on a Euphonic iAmp is given as 20-80Hz at 6dB/octave so maybe somewhere around 40-50Hz is closer to the mark. Rollling off a little bass can often have a much more beneficial affect on amplified bass sound than many people realise. In the end though it's down to what you're trying to achieve and what sounds right to you.

Edited by ikay

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1339780891' post='1694348']
modding be easy, but it depends on the board. in the general case you'd only need to change one capacitor, but if it's surface mount then it'll be a bit awkward to work on.
[/quote]

Modding is not the problem (see OP)

Nothig wrong with cutting at 40 or even 100Hz - if it's for studio use then what you've got is an instant 'sort out the clash between the kick drum and the bass guitar' button (alright, there's more to it than that, but hopefully you'll see what I'm driving at).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339837798' post='1695067']
Try it and use your ears. Do you like the sound or not?
[/quote]

Sounds great in my living room but wondering about live situations - which I'm not likely to be in for a while.

In any case, I'm curious and a tinkerer.

Edited by dincz

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339843934' post='1695234']
If thats starting to roll off at 75hz, prob be OK, depends how steep to an extent. The SVT 8x10 is rolling off from about there, but relatively gently.
[/quote]

It's -3dB at 75Hz and a 12dB/octave slope.