Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.6, Surrey, Saturday 29th September 2012

Hamster

Argghhhh..........gas! Every fricking year it gets me. After hearing Sibobs rig the simplicity of a lightweight head and another Compact is dragging me down that skint til Xmas road. The sound on its own without all the pedals was great but the bottom end with those pedals kicked in was heart stopping!

The day went too fast, I didn't get a chance to chat to talk to a load of people, didn't manage to try all the gear I wanted to, and I missed Si's fx talk, and was probably the only person not to win anything in the raffle :angry:

Otherwise had a great time :)

Lots of fun in the jam room, and thanks to Seashell for putting up with myself and billyapple ABing Les Paul's!

Many thanks to all involved, here's to the next :D

Edited by MacDaddy

And this is you showing me how to play bass guitar upside-down (and still being better at it than me on it the right way round) :D It was great to meet you, and thanks for letting me plug in and realise that the bass is as quiet as I thought even on a "real" rig...

Edited by bluejay

Hi Folks

Wow! What a great day.... despite me the traffic chaos around the M25 that caused so many of us to get there very late!!

Before anything, I have to thank Hamster & Mrs Hamster (Colin & Sarah) for organising everything so brilliantly despite not having me and Mrs Silverfoxnik (Loraine) there to help set up as intended! Excellent refreshments by the way.. :)

Thanks also to Sibob for an amazing 'foot-tappingly brilliant FX workshop (definitely agree about his bass & rig sounding awesome with and without the FX); 51m0n for yet another Einsteinian like Compressor workshop, Paul for coming along with drums, good humour and good grooves to get the Jam Room moving and also to Urb for getting there in the end after so much hassle on the roads!

Can't forget either some other notable contributions on the day; Ped turning up with some Basschat goodies and bits for the Raffle, obbm for manning the For sale area in the Foyer, everyone who donated prizes to the Raffle and Mrs Silverfoxnik for talking loads of photos (which we'll sort through and post up later tonight).. On a personal note, thanks to Chimike for bringing in the two Trace Elliot valve heads - they were amazing!

It was brilliant to meet some new Basschatters and to see lots of familiar faces and there were some lovely basses and exciting bits of gear on display! Very quickly; Tom Kent's Fodera stood out, Chris's USA Lakland was lovely and his Thunderfunk 750 amp was very, very nice too.. WalMan's Overwater sounded great in the Jam Room too! Amazingly that Overwater and Chris's Lakland are for sale but no takers, when they're very nice basses indeed. Also couldn't talk about basses without a mention for Sibob's P bass which looks & sounds the business..

Mr Claber's new Barefaced prototype is pretty impressive too, but his 3 way cab (which I'd not seen or heard before) sounded great to my ears!

Overall, it's such a chilled-out and nice vibe on the day that it makes it a real highlight of the year for me!

Lastly, have to mention those that couldn't be with us yesterday for a variety of reasons: Happy Jack, silddx, Clarky, Bassace, Stingray 5, Merton, johnnylager and Jakenewmanbass.. You were very definitely missed - despite it being a great day - but hopefully, we'll see you next year..

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1349007845' post='1820550']
Chris's USA Lakland was lovely
[/quote]

How did I miss that !!

Enjoyed yesterday, thanks Hamster and everyone else involved in organising.

Apologies for the extended ramble about my choice of charity. It's obviously something I feel strongly about (and I wouldn't have brought it up if not for the paralympics connection), but I'll quite understand if the majority view is to go for a music-related charity.

Now I've come away with GAS for a Maxon AF-9 (thanks 51mon) and a u-retro deluxe in at least one bass, (thank you 'doom-step' guy, I've forgotten your name) and a desire to really sort out my compressor technology (thanks again 51mon).

Oooh .... I left behind my raffle prize of a Precision pickguard, I guess someone would have picked it up. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd actually put it on my '79 P (kinda nice to leave it original) so is there some way it can be held back for next years bash ?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1349007845' post='1820550']
Chris's USA Lakland was lovely .... Amazingly that [...] Chris's Lakland are for sale but no takers, when they're very nice basses indeed. [/quote]

Having seen the pics in the for sale section I'm even more surprised I missed it. Not one I would have bought, but would have been interesting to compare to my 55-94 (which stayed at home) and 55-02 (which I brought with me).

Great as ever! Good to see the familiar faces as well as some new ones (and lots of familiar looking cabs!)  I left Brighton at 0940 and arrived at 1410, having listened to El Camino about nine times whilst stationery on the M25. Vanished into the jam room (my favourite place) to try out the prototype cab and play on the electronic kit (taking on my regular role of official best bad but keen drummist).

Changed the V-drums to running through a Big Baby T instead of the wedge monitor that was there - Paul almost fell over when he hit the snare with the volume up full! Had great fun playing and hearing others play through the little prototype with my Shuttle 6.0, Nik's HK Bassbase, my Avalon U5/PLX3002, Mike's V6 and Russ's SVT7. I think it did pretty well considering its size, although Russ found its limits with 1000W from a cranked SVT7 (having switched over from his 6x10" to this 1x12") with the lows boosted and a grindy tone - no magic smoke was released but bad smells were... If you're geographically convenient to Brighton or willing to pop down, I'd like some beta testers to gig these prototype cabs, so email me if you want to help out!

Si(bob), I had the speaker for you in the car but when I remembered it you'd already left - with turning up so late, my mental timings were rather confused...

The four car convoy home was amusing, thanks for getting us out past the jams (W)Al (man)- 5i(mon) I seemed to lose you throwing ye olde Honda around that last roundabout! ;)