Why become a member? ×

Covering a bass body with fabric

Twigman

I did it to one of my basses. I used some denim from some jeans. I wasnt sure what i was doing so i used PVA on top of the clearcoat then glued the top and bottom on, then ran a length around the border where they met. This is the result:

It seems to have held up the last 5 years with occasional playing, bit of grime but no matter. If i were to do it again, i would at least sand the clearcoat to rough or off. But i suppose it depends on how professional you want it to look.

How about doing the cover in two halves, a front and a back. Then get a long zip from an upholsterers ? Might work if the material was stretchy enough.

There used to be a firm in Aston that would spray your car, or anything else with adhesive, the blow flock on to it and apply about a million volts to make the flock stand on end while it dried, leaving a furry finish like a No. 1 haircut.

That might be worth a try if you can find somebody still doing it.

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1339701410' post='1693087']
[i][b]aston birmingham?......dude...badgermine is well bad!!.....[/b][/i] id strip the guitar and use mount spray as it would remove quite painlessly,buy enough material and experiment pva the finished job
[/quote]

Tried google translate but that cant understand either....Whats a Badgermine ?.. :D :D

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339676656' post='1692475']
Specifically I'd like to use this:
[url="http://www.fabric-online.co.uk/content/e018_littlegiraffe"]http://www.fabric-on...8_littlegiraffe[/url]
[/quote]
Perhaps you should consider changing your supplier before proceeding..? It seems as if you're buying Cherry Blossom disguised as Afghan, and it won't do your health any good. Try reducing the quantity, at least. I hope you get over this quickly before permanent damage is done. It may be too late, though...
:P

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1339680229' post='1692556']

Didnt someone make Rexine ( like coloured tolex ) covered guitars and basses in the early 70s. Cant remember much about them, but they were definitely around. Bit like a smaller SG shape I think. My mate had a 2 tone one. Might be somebody on here old enough to remember them.
[/quote]
They were selling these back in February but seem to be our of stock now.
They were available in red or blue Tolex.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339676594' post='1692471']
I know it's a silly Q and most of you will cringe at the thought but I want to cover a bass body with fabric (perhaps upholstery fabric).

How would I go about it?
[/quote]

Just came across this, looks like its been done with a folded strip of fabric and some Brass Tacks around the outside edge..

[attachment=110785:sigurrossg.jpg]

All you need now is 3 of those duck oranments that people used to hang off the wall. Stuck on the front of your cab,

Edited by BRANCINI

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1340039401' post='1698111']
Just came across this, looks like its been done with a folded strip of fabric and some Brass Tacks around the outside edge..

[attachment=110785:sigurrossg.jpg]

All you need now is 3 of those duck oranments that people used to hang off the wall. Stuck on the front of your cab,
[/quote]

I nearly got sick into my mouth.... I want one!

A doubleneck P + J with the above upholstery... with the ducks as control knobs...
And the cones in an 810 fridge painted like commemorative plates... (maybe have a pine dresser look to the cab).

Maybe a breadbin amp on top... or a toaster.... :gas:

Edited by PlungerModerno

A Vinyl Wrap is the answer. A pal of mine has done a few.
[IMG]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42/rfbassman/Scratchplates/CaptainAmerica.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42/rfbassman/Scratchplates/psychbass1.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Longmayyourun' timestamp='1341509158' post='1720313']
I'm sure Ritter did a bass covered in tennis ball material. Off to have a look....
[/quote]

Ritter has just done this fabric-cover guitar:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/THE_DRAGON.jpg[/IMG]