Why become a member? ×

I need a bigger fatter sound!

FourStrung

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1339830313' post='1694955']
As suggested a few times already, try a Tech 21 VT Bass. It will make your sound fat and greasy like Chinese Take-Away
[/quote]I will try and check one out if I can as it could be an alternative too, thanks

• 1 month later...

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1339703678' post='1693131']
good move. :)

in fact, the only problem i forsee, is that once you switch it on, you'll want that as your main sound, and then something extra when the guitarist goes AWOL, .. :D
ve
(i would decript the letters AWOL, but i'm on best behaviour at the mo .. :ph34r: )
[/quote]
Well I now have a Aphex Bass Xciter that I found out here in France and have to say how nice it is with the bass, and yes I want to keep it on all the time :)))
I have also altered the EQ to boost mids and cut the bottom end a touch plus with a touch more volume and softer playing it is cutting through nicely but with a full fat sound.
I had to try it with my Washburn electro acoustic as well and does that come to life of what.
10/10 aphex great usable pedal.
What to add now ....

Tried flat wound strings? They'll give you a thicker meatier tone. OK you can't switch them on and off like an effect...

Not all of them are treble-less - try the Thomastik Jazz Flats or D'Addario Chromes, which still have a nice top end bite if you need it.

i've not waded through 3 pages of responses to apologies if this is repeating anybody.

personally, i'd suggest a boost pedal - just to boost your volume slightly and fatten up your sound (i use a wren and cuff phat phuk for this, but i think somebody had a bajo boost in the classifieds?)

• 1 month later...

Definitely a [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-Modeler-Guitar-Effects-Pedal/dp/B000KIPUQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347338026&sr=8-1"]Behringer BDI21[/url] DI box , (Sansamp clone but one sixth of the price) for only 30 quid you cant go wrong. Give it a try. lots of people on here swear by them

Edited by daz

I would like to compare the sonic maximiser with the xciter. From the videos and clips I have managed to find I was tempted. But hey there are always surprises! My Ashdown amp died a week before 2 gigs, so I had to do something about an amp and could not borrow one at the time. So I grabbed a Kustom DE300 head to fill the gap, thought I would try something a bit different after reading various reviews. I also decided to part with the Precision, although I loved the sound, I can't same the same about the neck – it just wasnt for me - shame I did love the tone of it. I found a very nice MIM Deluxe Jazz Bass that was selling with an Ampeg BA115 (not that I needed another combo now!) But it was too good a bargin to miss out – the amp was virtually free :D. Anyway getting to the point, the Kustom head with a 2x10 + 1 x 15 sounds just great. I dont even want to use a pedal with it atm. But that will probably change in time I am sure. Even my Squier Pro Tone PJ sound the nuts through it too sooooo pleased. And we played with a new drummer – what a difference – I really enjoyed playing :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1339596159' post='1691147']
You're looking for the wrong solution to the problem IMO.

You dont [i]need[/i] fx, I've played that set list too, and only used a compressor because as the resident BC compressor fetishist I'd never live it down if anyone here ever saw me play without one (or saw me play actually, but I digress).

The answer is not really more fx, a good fat sound is a matter of eq, and technique. Not wildly pushed bass, just a dab (3dB) of low mid (at 250Hz ish) will fatten up any sound - careful you dont descend into mud though.

Play more gently, but turn the amp up, this will lower the ratio of the transient spike level at the beginning of each note in relation to the rest of the note, alot like a compressor can, giving you a far warmer, fuller sound. you can also use a touch of well set up compression to give your bass a bit more impact when playing like this, and get a really punchy weighty sound, but this isnt really necessary.

Filling the gaps effectively when the guitarist goes toward the dusty ended flights of fancy that are his want are more about the [i]arrangement[/i] and the rhythm section as a whole working together to keep the groove fat and and underpinning the guitarist. Also study the rhythm guitar part and modify your bass line at those points that "Captain Finger Lickin Good" wanders off on his own to incorporate some of what the guitar had about it - rhythmically, or a double stop chord or two thrown in, it doesnt have to be alot, or even more notes than before, just a hint of what is now gone. You will be amazed at how far a couple of licks from the rhythm part can go toward reminding the punters (and guitarist) of what was there. Just dotn lose the groove at that point!
[/quote]I thought I had read all the posts - must have missed this! I like what you say and it appeals to my idea of what should be and think I have already started up this road, But thanks I will continue to tweek eq and what I do in certain parts. Really dont want a string of pedals these days and now not needing to change the sound I am getting just with the bass and amp

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1339596159' post='1691147']
Play more gently, but turn the amp up, this will lower the ratio of the transient spike level at the beginning of each note in relation to the rest of the note, alot like a compressor can, giving you a far warmer, fuller sound. you can also use a touch of well set up compression to give your bass a bit more impact when playing like this, and get a really punchy weighty sound, but this isnt really necessary.
[/quote]

Play more gently but turn the amp up!

I was discussing this very same technique on here a few months back. Give it a go.

Ok, we have gone from a 4 piece to a 3 piece and everything has shifted!
But we are looking for another guitarist or harmonica player or both! if we are that lucky.
Anyway, after a rehearsal last week it was all sounding a bit thin minus one guitar. So up went the volume on the bass amp, as you can imagine I was more than happy, and hell did it sound good! They never liked the bass being as loud before so this is a break through that I am loving. As suggested I didnt play loud, but the increase volume made a great difference to the overall sound. It just felt like it brought it all together.
I played my recently acquired active Jazz that grunts when wanted which was nice to hear. May try the PJ Squier this week to see how that works out. But so far so good. EQ-wise I have been cutting the bottom end a touch and boosting the mids, leaving the treble pretty much flat, no effects just pure bass + amp. Now that was with a little Ampeg BA115 which doesn't come close to the preferred Kustom head with 210 +115, so may just have to load the car to the hilt this week and have some fun

• 3 months later...

haven't read the whole thread, but after having some fret buzz on a bass recently due to the neck moving, and my quite low action, I decided to raise the action above what I would normally, and suddenly the sound was much bigger/fuller, and that's with some light 40-120 strings.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1339596490' post='1691163']
Oh and when it comes to amp based one knob or on off comrpession - do yourself a favour and leave it turned off.
[/quote]

This man speaketh the truth. It's taken me a while to get it, but I do now. Must be a BN postcode thing....

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1339511126' post='1689569']Also IMHO something like an Aphex Bass Xciter or BBE Sonic Maximiser will really thicken your sound up.[/quote]

I use a DI-100 direct box with built in Sonic Maximizer and the difference is hugeamongous.
I run it through the effects loop. Got mine used on eBay for $40.00 US.

Edited by lastnotleast