Why become a member? ×

Amplifier to cabinet cable

lxxwj

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1339330309' post='1686867']
I hope this doesn't come as sarcastic but you should use speaker cable, [b]not [/b]instrument cable.
[/quote]
Not sarcastic! :) I'm glad you told me, because I was gonna try instrument cable..
[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339330394' post='1686869']
Basically, if you unscrew the jack and see two equal cables in different colored sleeves, thats a speaker cable, if its a middle one in a sleeve and a bunched up one that spreads to surround the one going into the cable proper, that's an instrument one.
[/quote]
I can't seem to get to the actual wires because of the covering under the jack, but thanks anyway.
[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1339330522' post='1686872']
OBBM made mine up for me, they're around 1cm thick and comes with heavy duty Neutrik Jacks. You can also get them made up with Speakons depending on your requirements.
[/quote]
Is it possible to just buy premade speaker cables without having to get customs? I'll do a quick search..

EDIT: What are the specifics exactly for the cables? I'm guessing it's a 1/4 inch for the amplifier side, but what about the side that goes into the cab?

and would something like this work? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Cable-Performer-500-Speaker-Cable-1-4--102584653-i1128650.gc

Edited by lxxwj

OBBM cables for the win definitely - but the OP is in North Carolina - it's got to be easier to go local B)

That's the one for the job - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Cable-Performer-500-Speaker-Cable-1-4--102584653-i1128650.gc

Edited by KiOgon

Also, don't trust staff in music shops, make sure for yourself.

I've had experiences where ill-informed staff have tried to tell me that there's no difference, or that the instrument cable they're trying to sell me is a speaker cable.

Considering that, in the most extreme situations, you can end up burning your house down and everyone in it, it's not a matter on which to trust a piano playing salesman, who may have never used an amp in his life.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1339350785' post='1687276']
Whats the worst that can happen if you do use instrument cable?As in a stop-gap measure?
[/quote]

Insulation melts, shorts, catches fire, sets other stuff on fire and burns down your house, the short kills your output devices, shorting them putting full rail voltage into your speakers, melting them and setting them on fire too. That's probably the worst directly.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339351785' post='1687306']
Insulation melts, shorts, catches fire, sets other stuff on fire and burns down your house, the short kills your output devices, shorting them putting full rail voltage into your speakers, melting them and setting them on fire too. That's probably the worst directly.
[/quote]

Nobody panic!

He's talking about using instrument cables for speaker outputs, not for connecting his amp to the mains. Worst that's likely to happen is that he'd pop the fuses and/or damage the amp, and that's pretty unlikely unless he's running a kilowatt or two into a low impedance load. If the worst doesn't happen, all he'll lose is a bit of power and reliability.

Not that I'm suggesting using the wrong cable, but if I forgot to pack my speaker cable at a gig I wouldn't be too concerned at using an offered instrument lead.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1339333332' post='1686922']
OBBM cables for the win definitely - but the OP is in North Carolina - it's got to be easier to go local B)

That's the one for the job - [url="http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Cable-Performer-500-Speaker-Cable-1-4--102584653-i1128650.gc"]http://www.guitarcen...653-i1128650.gc[/url]
[/quote]

Considering the quality, and prices of OBBMs cables, it has to be worth the postage costs to get a couple of his. Probably an extra £10 ($15) to post, but in my view, worth every penny/cent.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1339355585' post='1687364']
Nobody panic!

He's talking about using instrument cables for speaker outputs, not for connecting his amp to the mains. Worst that's likely to happen is that he'd pop the fuses and/or damage the amp, and that's pretty unlikely unless he's running a kilowatt or two into a low impedance load. If the worst doesn't happen, all he'll lose is a bit of power and reliability.

Not that I'm suggesting using the wrong cable, but if I forgot to pack my speaker cable at a gig I wouldn't be too concerned at using an offered instrument lead.
[/quote]

Jeez,worried for a minute there guys.It's just that I regularly use a short instrument cable to connect my 1x15 cab.I'll look into getting a proper speaker cable.I suppose a length of stout 2 core mains cable would do,wouldn't it? PS Sorry for hijacking thread.

Edited by squire5

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1339330158' post='1686862']
Sorry, newbie question: what kind of cable do I use to hook up an amplifier head to a speaker cabinet?
[/quote]

All apart from one of my speakers cables are Klotz cable - it's excellent. The plugs I use are Neutrik. But this
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klotz-Jack-Guitar-Amp-Cab-Cabinet-Speaker-Cable-1m-/250776714649?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a6374fd99#ht_900wt_1140"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klotz-Jack-Guitar-Amp-Cab-Cabinet-Speaker-Cable-1m-/250776714649?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a6374fd99#ht_900wt_1140[/url]
is the kind of thing you're looking for; check out the guys notes in his description too - you may well find some music shop staff who will BS you that an instrument cable is fine.

Maplins & Radioshack/Tandy used to sell Klotz cable off the reel & Neutriks, you shouldn't have any problem finding them Stateside.
If you're handy with a soldering iron - or know someone who is - you could make your own for about half the cost of this Ebay item (no relation to this seller - I just picked it out)

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1339355585' post='1687364']
Nobody panic!

[/quote]

I was aware of thaat. Worst case scenario I described was for using an instrument lead instead of a spekaer lead. Shorted is low impednace, so low its nearly one, lots of hot, fire etc. is a potential, once the insulation melts through.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1339358517' post='1687440']
Jeez,worried for a minute there guys.It's just that I regularly use a short instrument cable to connect my 1x15 cab.I'll look into getting a proper speaker cable.I suppose a length of stout 2 core mains cable would do,wouldn't it? PS Sorry for hijacking thread.
[/quote]

Mains flex makes excellent speaker cable.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339359875' post='1687487']
Mains flex makes excellent speaker cable.
[/quote]

For musical instrument applications and half decent for home hi-fi!

Did a blind (should that be 'deaf') test at one of my former jobs (we duplicated cassettes commercially and had to have a good reference system) with expensive hi-fi speaker cable, normal £1.99 per meter stuff, bell-wire and 2 core (solid) mains cable and there was nothing in it between the 2 core solid and the stuff that cost tens of £ per m! ;)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339330394' post='1686869']
Basically, if you unscrew the jack and see two equal cables in different colored sleeves, thats a speaker cable, if its a middle one in a sleeve and a bunched up one that spreads to surround the one going into the cable proper, that's an instrument one.
[/quote]

So what is [url="http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/20401/33-250_CANFORD-HPS-CABLE"]this[/url]