Why become a member? ×

Being paid off

beerdragon

Been down the pub and met up with a guitar playing mate and got talking about the old days. he got talking about a club in Sunderland where he played and it seems they where minutes from going on when a bloke barged into the dressing room ranting and raving demanding to know who had parked in his spot.there was a large white van in his parking place. turned out he was the club secretary. the bass player turnes to the guy who was bald and says perfectly innocently keep your hair on mate to which the rest of the band burst out laughing. he was not amused and told the band to leave. so they they collected their money and went home. dont know what the guy said to rest of the club whe they found out there was no entertainment on. dont suppose anyone here on basschat has been paid off or have they?

Not quite the same but my old band once played a very posh wedding at one of the Inns of Court in London.

The whole wedding took place in a very cool venue with antiques all over the place. However the problem with the venue and arrangements meant that everything ran really late.

We played a short first set of around 30 minutes to fit around some announcements and stuff and went down really well. The the Father of the Bride (who was a very high ranking judge) came over and very discretely explained that the bride's brother was a fledgeling DJ and had been booked to play after us.

Because things were running so behind schedule he asked us if we could "fake" some sort of electrical problem and not come back for the second set so the brother would have enough time to DJ. He offered to pay us for the full evening (which was about £2K) as much as we could drink at the bar and a £500K bonus to explain the "electrical problem" and slide off quietly.

There was even a convenient side door to escape so we had a few beers, pocketed the cash & got home at a decent hour for a change!

[quote name='molan' post='181298' date='Apr 20 2008, 08:17 PM']Not quite the same but my old band once played a very posh wedding at one of the Inns of Court in London.

The whole wedding took place in a very cool venue with antiques all over the place. However the problem with the venue and arrangements meant that everything ran really late.

We played a short first set of around 30 minutes to fit around some announcements and stuff and went down really well. The the Father of the Bride (who was a very high ranking judge) came over and very discretely explained that the bride's brother was a fledgeling DJ and had been booked to play after us.

Because things were running so behind schedule he asked us if we could "fake" some sort of electrical problem and not come back for the second set so the brother would have enough time to DJ. He offered to pay us for the full evening (which was about £2K) as much as we could drink at the bar and a £500K bonus to explain the "electrical problem" and slide off quietly.

There was even a convenient side door to escape so we had a few beers, pocketed the cash & got home at a decent hour for a change![/quote]

£500k?! i hope to god you mean £500!!!

[quote name='molan' post='181298' date='Apr 20 2008, 08:17 PM']Because things were running so behind schedule he asked us if we could "fake" some sort of electrical problem and not come back for the second set so the brother would have enough time to DJ. He offered to pay us for the full evening (which was about £2K) as much as we could drink at the bar and a £500K bonus to explain the "electrical problem" and slide off quietly.[/quote]

500k???

You wern't by some chance playing for a Billionaire were you?

:)

Once my band turned up as a very last minute booking to replace a cancelled band at a pub in Leamington who had somehow heard of us and begged us to drive there from Leicester with about two hrs notice, this was about 14 years ago.
When we got there the landlord was steaming drunk and VERY rude and abusive, before we'd even got out the car, he was just standing in the parking spot in the road outside the pub wobbling and apparently looking for a fight with anyone.
When he realised we were the band he just grunted a lot and wandered off inside.
As we set up he wandered in and out of us in the 'stage' area making snide and unpleasent comments about wether we knew how to work a plug, amps etc, etc
Eventually we did a few bars not even a sound check per se, just a sorta 'is it all on?' before getting into detail, whereupon he came up and said :
" I told you to turn down and you didnt, so heres £50, now pack up and f*uck off!"

??

He hadnt said a word!, sure enough we packed up and as we loaded the car we noticed a big van hiding round the corner , with lo and behold, another band waiting to load in!!!!!

We went back to our local and spent the £50 on beer and nuts and tried to figure what the hell had happened!

(The long version includes an arrogant teenage me being pulled out the pub after loading the car by my much bigger, older and wiser drummer as i had gone back in to start on the drunken landord and his mates as i thought i was:
A), invincible being a teenager,
and
:) the greatest bass player in the world and how dare he treat us like that, heh heh

Edited by gafbass02

About 1988/9 in Worthing. The Stray Cats were playing in the much more prestigious gig up the road, we were supposed to be in the pub by the station, a regular gig for us at the time.

There was a bit of argy bargy between rival sets of SC fans, and somebody got stabbed outside our venue. Tensions were simmering.

As we pulled up for the load-in, the guv'nor was waiting with our fee, and advised us to keep going, since he was closing for the evening in view of the circumstances.

Fee duly trousered, home in time for the Antiques Roadshow, victim recovered well (as far as I can remember).

We also played a wedding reception at about the same time, and were similarly paid off on arrival, as the groom's divorce from his former wife hadn't come through in time. I bet that went down well with the new in-laws...

Edited by bassninja

A few years back we were booked to play in a pub just outside Portsmouth, on the same night as a World Cup match was being played!

England v Germany, the match went into extra time, I think it was the one that Beckham got sent off, then it was a penalty shoot out, and then England lost and we were out of the cup.

It was about 10.45 by the time the match finished and were to play until 11.00, no one was in the mood for live music and the landlord paid us the full amount even though we only played for the 10mins.

It's only a game!

(No I did not say that at the time, I valued my life too much!)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='181282' date='Apr 20 2008, 08:05 PM']Been down the pub and met up with a guitar playing mate and got talking about the old days. he got talking about a club in Sunderland where he played and it seems they where minutes from going on when a bloke barged into the dressing room ranting and raving demanding to know who had parked in his spot.there was a large white van in his parking place. turned out he was the club secretary. the bass player turnes to the guy who was bald and says perfectly innocently keep your hair on mate to which the rest of the band burst out laughing. he was not amused and told the band to leave. so they they collected their money and went home. dont know what the guy said to rest of the club whe they found out there was no entertainment on. dont suppose anyone here on basschat has been paid off or have they?[/quote]

Speaking of 'paid off', 'bald' and 'Sunderland': I played in a covers band many years ago and we had a gig in a wmc in Sunderland. We played the first set and all was ok...then during the interval loads of skinheads turned up, as the word had got out that the band was playing Specials and Selector songs. The secretary paid us off before the moonstomping started. Shame, the first set was played to the sound of one hand clapping and the second one could have been fun.

very very similar to one of the first posts but, about 5 years ago my band was due to play a wedding in a big marquee by a big manor house come posh exclusive hotel. We set up at about 8 ready to go on after speaches around 9:30.

So we sat in the marquee and just after setting up someone came down to say there was food laid out and there was plenty of it so help yourselves (BIG mistake), secondly there was a bar in the corner of the marquee as well as a huge agricultural trailer behind the marquee full of ice and more importantly booze!

So we went and had some food and went to the un-manned bar for a beer, not being too greedy at this point. So we waited and we could see the speaches going on through the window and it was getting to around 9:30. Playing time we thought......NOPE.

10:00 came and went, more food more booze, we were chatting and jamming a bit. 11:00 came and went more booze, (drummer half cut at this point. 11.30 everyone comes down pissed as farts screaming "lets get dancing". so a little worse for wear we crank up and bust out some Huey Lewis and the News, great. No kidding 11:50 the hotel owner comes down to say that we will have to bring the music to a close at 12:00 for the sake of the other guests. 12:05 we stopped and packed up. Father of the bride comes over and shoves us £1500 for four of us, and says "cracking band loved the music help yourselves at the bar and to food, plus there are some beers out the back help yourselves when you go.

WHAT A NIGHT. On the way out 2 huge decks of Bud, my guitarist managed to put a wine bottle between every finger, plus a bottle of JD, vodka and two bottles of coke for mixer stuffed in the drummers case. We didn't even make a dent in the trailer, you would never have known we took anything.

Wish they had all been like that.

[quote name='bassninja' post='181396' date='Apr 20 2008, 09:55 PM']We also played a wedding reception at about the same time, and were similarly paid off on arrival, as the groom's divorce from his former wife hadn't come through in time. I bet that went down well with the new in-laws...[/quote]
Hmmm, my second marriage was nearly like that - picked up decree absolute on the Thursday and married on the Saturday. Wish I hadn't bothered now...

Still, on the original subject, was once (c.1990) with a heavyish rock band and we got booked in to a pub somewhere by an agent. Turned up, set up, played first half, and the gaffer paid us half and asked us to go. Apparently he'd asked for a charts cover band, rather than an originals rock band (and the audience rather bore that out, bunch of stiffs and trendies). We weren't best pleased with the agent.

In the last few days we have had a wedding cancel on us just 3 weeks to go, and in the terms of our contract they have to pay us £300 (half balance due) to realese from the contract. That is winging its way over. I guess for a duo its ok, but would have prefered to do the gig, but no dought we will replace it with a small gig.

Not quite on topic but a good gig story nonetheless.
A friend of a friend (therefore poss urban myth) was doing a very posh wedding at which when it came to time for the grooms speech, he duly thanked everybody most especially the very generous brides Father for having spent a small fortune on the celebration, he then announced that despite having had a really great day he was going to annul the marriage as it had not been consumated, on the grounds that he, (points to best man) has been shagging her (points to bride) for the last year and a half.
He collected himself and walked from a pin drop silent marquee.
I don't know if the band were paid off, but I'd be surprised if they weren't.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='182664' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:40 AM']In the last few days we have had a wedding cancel on us just 3 weeks to go, and in the terms of our contract they have to pay us £300 (half balance due) to realese from the contract. That is winging its way over. I guess for a duo its ok, but would have prefered to do the gig, but no dought we will replace it with a small gig.[/quote]
A small matter of protocol parrot, if you do manage to cover the date you are obliged under the same general principals of contract to repay the amount of the replacement gig back to the other side (if it's less) and the full amount (if its the same or more), and in fact you are obliged to actively seek a replacement gig.
It's your call, but everybody should be aware of those general principals which would be upheld by any small claims court judgement.
(I was vice chair of the Manchester branch of the Musicians Union and a committee member for many years so have dealt with many cases as such)

Jake,
if we do cover the gig which will be a pub and of much lower pay, then i will send back £100 and that is if we get a gig. We operate on a contract basis that if a party (and in this case the brides mum took over and decided they want a disco instead after being booked in our diary for over a year, and cancelled with 3 weeks to go) then they will pay us half the balance if cancelled within 6 weeks of the engagment. These are our terms and the contrat that we use have been downloaded from the mu website that they sighned and agreed to. If the cancellation was due to a major event in their life (death etc) then out of compassion i would not take a penny. But a meddling mum in law has decided that the bridgroom is not a capable person, and took the matter of entertainment in her hands, (he was in charge of booking entertainment, and in his own words, 'the bride and her mum dont think i (he) is capable of arraging that') went to a wedding fair, and booked a disco. No one feels more for that guy, cos he would have had a much better night with us! Now belive me Jake, i would much sooner have done the gig than to sit at home, with £150 in my pocket, because i love what i do, and we are good at it as well, and of course i will activly look for a replacment gig, but thats more about doing what i enjoy than the money.

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='greyparrot' post='182709' date='Apr 22 2008, 12:32 PM']But a meddling mum in law has decided that the bridgroom is not a capable person, and took the matter of entertainment in her hands, (he was in charge of booking entertainment, and in his own words, 'the bride and her mum dont think i (he) is capable of arraging that')[/quote]
Thats an interesting variation, I wouldn't be surprised in that case if a CCJ (county court judge) would actually award you the full fee on the basis that the wedding [i]is[/i] going ahead and it's mere whim that has led to the cancellation. (can't be sure though)
Whatever the result I think its an interesting example of how these things should be carried out.
Cheers :)
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='greyparrot' post='182709' date='Apr 22 2008, 12:32 PM']But a meddling mum in law has decided that the bridgroom is not a capable person, and took the matter of entertainment in her hands, (he was in charge of booking entertainment, and in his own words, 'the bride and her mum dont think i (he) is capable of arraging that') went to a wedding fair, and booked a disco. No one feels more for that guy, cos he would have had a much better night with us![/quote]

Christ, never mind his day being spoiled by a crap disco instead of a good band, I worry more for his future life with a ma-in-law like that!

Edited by bremen

[quote name='jakesbass' post='182731' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:12 PM']Thats an interesting variation, I wouldn't be surprised in that case if a CCJ (county court judge) would actually award you the full fee on the basis that the wedding [i]is[/i] going ahead and it's mere whim that has led to the cancellation. (can't be sure though)
Whatever the result I think its and interesting example of how these things should be carried out.
Cheers :)
Jake[/quote]

If they would have cancelled within 14 days then the full amount would be liable, but i really felt for this guy as he really wanted us but has been bullied by the in law to be! Anyway, it shows that all major events weddings etc should always be contracted to safegaurd both parties, and this is the first time in 8 years that we have had a cancellation of a wedding, and im glad i had that in place. Thanks for the objective support, and in hind site i guess i could have asked for the full amount. But if they dont send the £300 ( i know he will though) then as far as we are concerned, the engagment is still on, and we will turn up to play their function!

[quote name='bremen' post='182737' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:19 PM']Christ, never mind his day being spoiled by a crap disco instead of a good band, I worry more for his future life with a ma-in-law like that![/quote]

Ha ha do you know what i acctualy said to the guy, who was so nice, are you sure you are doing the right thing!! really hand on heart iu asked him. His reply-when we are alone (i asume the bride to be) they get on well.......................god poor sod!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='182738' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:19 PM']If they would have cancelled within 14 days then the full amount would be liable, but i really felt for this guy as he really wanted us but has been bullied by the in law to be! Anyway, it shows that all major events weddings etc should always be contracted to safegaurd both parties, and this is the first time in 8 years that we have had a cancellation of a wedding, and im glad i had that in place.[/quote]
+1
We had a wedding cancelled as the bride was crushed in a horse fall, they were willing to pay and we were entitled under the terms of the contract. We refused payment as it was clearly beyond their control and things were bad enough for them without bills for things they weren't going to get.

We have also had the opposite where people thought they could just ring us up and say "we've changed our minds"
we were successful in saying "uh, actually you can't"

[quote name='jakesbass' post='182746' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:28 PM']+1
We had a wedding cancelled as the bride was crushed in a horse fall, they were willing to pay and we were entitled under the terms of the contract. We refused payment as it was clearly beyond their control and things were bad enough for them without bills for things they weren't going to get.

We have also had the opposite where people thought they could just ring us up and say "we've changed our minds"
we were successful in saying "uh, actually you can't"[/quote]

Agreed. As i said before, if it was a major event that happened to the family, i would not dream of charging a penny. All i can say is at least the guy who cancelled was honest with me!