Why become a member? ×

Stanley Clarke albums

Gamble

Just mooching about on Youtube earlier and remembered that I should really check out some Stanley Clarke, so I did. Just watched one vid (a live version of Lopsy Lou, looked pretty damn old!) and really liked it. I know that's on his self titled album but wondered if that would be the best place to start.

Can anyone suggest a "classic" Stanley Clarke album for me to get my teeth into?

I think there's been a similar thread recently, but if anyone wants to suggest other iconic bass players that I should know about (and THE album they're prominent on) it would be appreciated. I'm in a funky mood right now, so anything in that area would be warmly welcomed!

Cheers!

Hi mate
The one to get is "school days" its his most famous(and third i think) he,s got millions of albums out though and ive got most of them, they do tend to get a bit samey after a while so any greatest hits cd might be a good place to start. very inspirational stuff though still love him i just wish he'd play bass :huh: i do acually prefer his double bass playing which is amazing, oh an "journey to love" is a good un as well.
Im actually between houses at the mo and all my cds are in storage, otherwise id sort something for you, ill let you know when ive access to them again.
As far as iconic bass players its a bit late and im off to bed, im sure you;ll be drowned in threads by tomorrow, but some of my favourites include "Abraham laboriel", "Louis johnson", "Larry graham", "Anthony jackson", "Will lee" and you already know about "marcus miller" a lot f these guys were the pioneers of funk bass as we know it, happy listening.
All the best- lee :)

Oh and dont forget "bernard edwards" he's the greatest!!!!!!!

Just mooching about on Youtube earlier and remembered that I should really check out some Stanley Clarke, so I did. Just watched one vid (a live version of Lopsy Lou, looked pretty damn old!) and really liked it. I know that's on his self titled album but wondered if that would be the best place to start.

Can anyone suggest a "classic" Stanley Clarke album for me to get my teeth into?

I think there's been a similar thread recently, but if anyone wants to suggest other iconic bass players that I should know about (and THE album they're prominent on) it would be appreciated. I'm in a funky mood right now, so anything in that area would be warmly welcomed!

Cheers!
[/quote]

Edited by lee650

I have a lot of SC. It's a bit of a left field choice but my favorite is 'Find out'. More song oriented than most of his and I just love the amazing bass tone.

Always been a big fan of Return to forever's 'Romantic warrior', but as real 70's jazz fusion it's not everyone's thing.

If you get School Days and Journey To Love, you've pretty much heard Stanley Clarke. Personally, I think he is overated and much of his product has dated badly.

But I know I am in a minority so you may want to check out some other people's responses!

My favourite is definitely 'If this bass could only talk', it seems to be the most consistent album, some of his albums are a bit of a mixed bag, some funk, a bit of jazz played on upright, a solo upright song, even some poetry on one of his albums, so you might only like a couple of tracks, obviously depending on your musical tastes.

I'd 'If this bass' is one of my top 10 bass albums.

I've got about 5 or 6 but I can't remember what any of them are called or which songs are on which. I find that on some of his albums there's only one song on the album I can listen to.

As someone said earlier, my favourite Stanley Clarke stuff is on the three 'classic line-up' Return To Forever albums. Yes, it's self-indulgent and some of it is silly but I do enjoy it.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Classics-Stanley-Clarke/dp/tracks/B000UH8BTA/ref=dp_tracks_all_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1208709315&sr=8-6#disc_1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Cla...p;sr=8-6#disc_1[/url]

How's about this for a starting point?

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='180965' date='Apr 20 2008, 12:14 PM']My favourite is definitely 'If this bass could only talk', it seems to be the most consistent album, some of his albums are a bit of a mixed bag, some funk, a bit of jazz played on upright, a solo upright song, even some poetry on one of his albums, so you might only like a couple of tracks, obviously depending on your musical tastes.

I'd 'If this bass' is one of my top 10 bass albums.[/quote]

Ooh, I forgot that one, that's my other fave Stan album.

Isn't he over playing the Jazz Cafe soon?

[quote name='Mikey D' post='181113' date='Apr 20 2008, 04:22 PM']My favourite (Apart from the classic School Days), is the Vertu album from about 2000.[/quote]

Good choice, especially for people coming from a rock background. What I've heard of the new one Toys of Men sounds promising too.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='molan' post='181302' date='Apr 20 2008, 08:20 PM']Isn't he over playing the Jazz Cafe soon?[/quote]
Y'know, when I first glanced at that I was sure it said "Isn't he [i]overplaying at[/i] the Jazz Cafe soon?" :):lol:

[quote name='Rich' post='181748' date='Apr 21 2008, 12:48 PM']Y'know, when I first glanced at that I was sure it said "Isn't he [i]overplaying at[/i] the Jazz Cafe soon?" :):lol:[/quote]

Ha Ha! Possibly both!

Stanley Clarke is an innovator - some of his early stuff might sound dated now, but back in it's day it was imaginative and original and paved the way for loads of modern players.

[quote name='molan' post='181302' date='Apr 20 2008, 08:20 PM']Ooh, I forgot that one, that's my other fave Stan album.

Isn't he over playing the Jazz Cafe soon?[/quote]

I wrote a post about this and it is located [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=12143&view=findpost&p=127767"]here[/url].

Very true!!
There wouldnt be a victor, without stanley, i really love his slapping though . Here's to mr Clarke
Keep enjoying the music everyone-LEE

Ha Ha! Possibly both!

Stanley Clarke is an innovator - some of his early stuff might sound dated now, but back in it's day it was imaginative and original and paved the way for loads of modern players.
[/quote]

Was he an innovator? I heard little more than a Larry Graham thing with a bit more speed but a lot less funk. I did enjoy some of the Chick Corea/RTF stuff but I just thought his bass playing never really gelled for me - too clunky. I actually preferred his upright playing but thought his electric playing was heavy-handed (i.e. clunky).

After the first two LPs I mentioned above, I thought he was just endlessly repeating himself (like me, I guess :))