Why become a member? ×

Vintage Sandbergs

GregHughes

So Sandberg having been making guitars for over 25 years so where are all the vintage one's?

You hardly ever see any old one's on the market, are they all keepers?

Also do you think that one's bought now will be worth a lot of money in 25 years or so?

They are getting a lot of love so can they have a collectable value in the future like Fender/Musicman/Rickenbacker or do only vintage American guitars command that kind of following?

They are certainly as good both tone and build wise as any fender/musicman bass.

Should we start collecting them now?

Yep! I agree, though I didn't know they'd been around so long. The certainly are reasonably priced, and I find the build quality easily on par with Music Man, and way way way above Fender.

There seems to be an insane amount of mention and appreciation of them on here recently, TRBboy, I'm looking at you! I certainly feel they're worth keeping and I'm eyeing another one up, a fretted one of some sort. Theres a few custom ones I've seen, a striped one and the jogsaw ones are lovely!

Dan

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337811668' post='1666011']
My guess is they started out small, making small amounts and selling mainly in germany.
[/quote]

I think they still are a small firm really, I'm sure I read that there's less than 10 people working there! I think you're right, they probably haven't been selling Internationally for that long, and even though they have a worldwide presence now they're still relatively unknown by a lot of people

They get a fair amount of love on talk bass too. I can't rate mine highly enough, sounds and looks really great. I won't be going back to Fender that's for sure. I think one's bought now will be worth quite a bit in a few years time as they gain more recognition.

I'm in the process of selling various stuff (including a kidney :lol: )so that I can get one!
getting there just need one or two more deals to push on.
I played on a couple at PMT m/cr recently-I was really impressed on everthing about them.
even though they were right handed. :)

Value isn't associated with age really, its more about nostalgia and associations with popular music.

Wait 15 years and solid black Warwick Thumbs and Spectors from the late 90's and early noughties soar in value as today's Gen Z rockers and metallers can finally afford the instruments that defined their coming of age. :P

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1337856344' post='1666372']
I'm in the process of selling various stuff (including a kidney :lol: )so that I can get one!
getting there just need one or two more deals to push on.
I played on a couple at PMT m/cr recently-I was really impressed on everthing about them.
even though they were right handed. :)
[/quote]

Do you remember which models they had in PMT? I'm seriously thinking about selling some gear/the wife to get a 'berg

[quote name='Sandmann' timestamp='1338576610' post='1676777']
they built their own models back then, s1 and s2. handbuilt instruments of the highest quality. super to play but not as cool as fender-like basses sothey began to built the california series and forgot about their own amazing designs...
[/quote]

They do well with the Basic series which is their design, as well as the Customs and Bullets.

Personally I've found the Basic series to be much better for me than the Californias; lighter and effortless to play.

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1338585856' post='1676991']

Do you remember which models they had in PMT? I'm seriously thinking about selling some gear/the wife to get a 'berg
[/quote]

Let me know if you fancy a Basic 4! :D

Yeah mate they had a couple of California' TM's and VM's-I think one of the Vm's Had a dodgy pot!-a bit noisy If I remember,
oh and a couple of Basics too-all right handed as well :( I think the price came in at a shade over a grand-but you can always haggle a bit off-they are quite good in that respect.
Trev

Edited by LeftyBiskit

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337811668' post='1666011']
My guess is they started out small, making small amounts and selling mainly in germany.
[/quote]

yep... which is why you wont find many old old ones.. They do like to distress them, so who would know anyway.. :lol: :lol:

As for collectivity... I don't think so. They aren't sought after enough at this time and aren't stand-out either. Fender basses were the only ones that lasted 25 years in a playable condition when they started to be sought after..nowadays, there is too much competition...
As with Warwicks..my feeling is that earlier models are considered more desirable, but not really desirable.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1338638604' post='1677470']

yep... which is why you wont find many old old ones.. They do like to distress them, so who would know anyway.. :lol: :lol:

As for collectivity... I don't think so. They aren't sought after enough at this time and aren't stand-out either. Fender basses were the only ones that lasted 25 years in a playable condition when they started to be sought after..nowadays, there is too much competition...
As with Warwicks..my feeling is that earlier models are considered more desirable, but not really desirable.
[/quote] feel free to sell me your 80s warwicks at the price undesirable basses make!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1338638088' post='1677462']

Brake before the swing! You can't afford his wife right now because of the custom, remember?
[/quote]

Good point! A straight cash sale would be fine, one wife costs me enough without adding a second!

Could always consider an indecent proposal i suppose! :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1338644342' post='1677563']
Good point! A straight cash sale would be fine, one wife costs me enough without adding a second!

Could always consider an indecent proposal i suppose! :D
[/quote]

Nah she doesn't play bass :)

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1338473950' post='1675119']
Pretty awesome vintage looking Sandberg in PMT Manchester today took a pic, but it doesn't seem to want to let me post it here at the mo...
[/quote]

Here's that pic, wish I had a spare £1600, its pretty tasty!