Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oh dear GAS has already started!!!

SpaceChick

Its a bad thing. I started playing bass again last year after a massive break. Last time I played I had one bass, a crappy amp but loved it and it did me. Since getting back into it I've bought 6 basses, sold 2 and had as many effects pedals. Its bad. But still love it.

I must admit I was pretty happy with my first bass until I found this forum. I blame everyone on here, especially those selling great basses/effects!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1337809028' post='1665948']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177038-mark-d-phillips-guitar-improvermaster-bodger-this-guy-cracks-me-up/"]http://basschat.co.u...y-cracks-me-up/[/url]

Should be links to previous threads in there too.
[/quote]

The guy is pure genius. He shimmed up a nut with paper and shows the pictures. I think he is great. I am hoping to see a guitar with bits of copper pipe for a bridge. I'd buy that.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1337779437' post='1665314']
I've been on this forum less than a week and I have already upgraded my crap little 15W practice amp which is tinnier than a tin can for a Peavey Max 112 proper bass amp :)

There is no hope for me is there????

I am already drooling after some [b][color=#000080]Yamaha basses[/color][/b] too, and was looking at the Cort ones in the shop today! LOL!
[/quote]

Any of the MIJ 80's BB's !! :tatice_01:

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1337809028' post='1665948']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177038-mark-d-phillips-guitar-improvermaster-bodger-this-guy-cracks-me-up/"]http://basschat.co.u...y-cracks-me-up/[/url]

Should be links to previous threads in there too.
[/quote]

Holy crap, I just looked through his listings: "[font="Arial"][size="4"]This strat is based on an Encore model as they have the most consistently excellent fret finishing and leveling... never the sharp fret ends that cut you as you slide up and down... they are just as good as a Fender neck, but people don't like the name on the head as much do they![/size][/font]"

:mellow: Is that so?

As for GAS, it's curable, don't worry. I found my cure was a couple of nice Rays and GKs. :) It took a fair bit of cash to get there though!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1337809793' post='1665968']

As for the OP involve the other half. Mines a memeber here too ;) Although she won't even attempt to learn but now she gets GAS too. She wants an Orange rig for the living room and the Black super P dingwall on the Bass Gallery site :D
[/quote]

He came home from work yesterday and said he was half expecting to see some Marshall stacks! LOL!

He was very impressed with the amp though.... But this meant he hogged my bass for a bit (he's a normal guitarist), I told him My bass, My amp, Get ya mitts off!

I think when the time comes to get a new bass he will be supportive, but in all honesty mine is fine whilst I'm still very much the beginner I am ;)

GAS is terrible. I find that I'm unceasingly dissatisfied with everything! It's cost me a fortune.

I've just finished paying off an American Standard Precision which is arriving today, and I'm hoping that will cure my bass gas.

Now, to find a suitable amp... :D

Hope you're enjoying yourself Space Chick, that's what it's all about :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1337846722' post='1666199']

Hope you're enjoying yourself Space Chick, that's what it's all about :)
[/quote]

I am absolutely loving it and wishing I'd done it years ago! There's something quite primal about a good bassline!

I had the music shop in stitches yesterday though, as they assumed I was buying the amp for someone else!! I suppose I don't look like a typical bass player!! (Well make your own minds up from my avatar! LOL!)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1337851887' post='1666280']
I am absolutely loving it and wishing I'd done it years ago! There's something quite primal about a good bassline!

I had the music shop in stitches yesterday though, as they assumed I was buying the amp for someone else!! I suppose I don't look like a typical bass player!! (Well make your own minds up from my avatar! LOL!)
[/quote]

Which shop did you go to Debs? If it was your local, I found them so helpful, nice bunch in there.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1337779437' post='1665314']

I am already drooling after some Yamaha basses too
[/quote]

clearly a lady of discerning taste

did you say cort? cort? what on earth is that ??? surely not in the same sentence as yamaha? ;) :lol:

Im really surprised im GAS free as far as bass related gear goes, have been with the same Squier's for 3 years now. There is always something i want but im very happy to have settled down with what i have now.
My Secret to this is to spend more than i have in the past lol. Its left me with so little that there is no point to GAS now lol. In fact i wish i had settled on these a long before i spent a lot more money on basses that really didnt offer me much else.

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1337855951' post='1666354']
Well I'm glad that you parted with your basses Dave cos I've got one of them :lol:
[/quote]

Haha, yeah, i do my bit to help.

Still loving it or have you brought another 3 since then :lol:

[sub]It was my local shop Deb, they were really helpful. I could have bought the amp for a tenner cheaper online, but it fairness I think its important to support your local businesses, and the fact that I could try it out first I thought was really handy :)[/sub]

[sub]I'm working in Cardiff today, and one of the guitar shops have some Yamaha basses..... i am fighting with myself to not wander over! LOL![/sub]

I've got to say I'm more or less GAS free for the first time in ages. I've 2 new basses on the way to add to the others, and my rig set up is superb.

BUT, the Basses for Sale section is my Nemesis. I tell myself that being as I'm a mod I have to go there to check stuff out, well, that's my excuse anyways. :D

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1337856072' post='1666361']
Haha, yeah, i do my bit to help.

Still loving it or have you brought another 3 since then :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, I am still very happy with my bass of stealth :wub: . I was very tempted by the black Aerodyne on here the other week BUT I remained strong and did not visit the forum of temptation until it was sold. I took your advice and started practising a few new songs when I felt my resolve weakening. Seemed to work ... this time!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1337857659' post='1666401']
[sub]It was my local shop Deb, they were really helpful. I could have bought the amp for a tenner cheaper online, but it fairness I think its important to support your local businesses, and the fact that I could try it out first I thought was really handy :)[/sub]

[sub]I'm working in Cardiff today, and one of the guitar shops have some Yamaha basses..... i am fighting with myself to not wander over! LOL![/sub]
[/quote]

Glad your locals could help you, they were great when I went in for a gig bag and strap. Nice to go to a shop sometimes instead of doing everything online and as you say, it's good to support local businesses.

Hope you can keep temptation at bay until hometime. If you've made your choice not to change, there's little point tormenting yourself. Enjoy Cardiff in the sunshine.