Why become a member? ×

Roadworn/Relicing(sic) - Is it over?

4 Strings

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337098698' post='1655444']
I suppose the counter argument would ask, 'Who's personality?'
[/quote]

When we see a heavily worn vintage instrument we like to think it belonged some kind of guitar god who's spent hours practising, many years gigging every night playing some kind of worthy music to an enthusiastic audience.

But it's probably just had some averagely talented plodder who just didn't look after it very well and wore it out because they just weren't that into playing bass at all and couldn't be bothered to buy another one, or never earned enough from music to afford to. ;)

Edited by Fat Rich

I've come into a bit of cash and (as you do) went for a quick snoop on ebay. I saw two mex roadworn Jazzes and seriously thought about buying them in a drooling, slavering kind of way but decided they were over my financial limit at approx £600. I then came across a 2003 USA Jazz which had been seriously abused at some time and was scraped and bashed but was going for only £450. I decided that there would be no way I would buy such a seriously roadworn US bass because I'd never be able to sell it again if I needed to.

There's a failure in logic there somewhere............. :blink:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1337100200' post='1655486']
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I just can't see anything about this that I don't like.

[/quote]

I have one of these and it's as close to 'that jazz' as I've ever found.

I had issues to begin with about the whole road worn thing, would ponder how to tidy it up etc (I still may one day), but I play my RW Jazz and RW Precisions because they're just great instruments to play. They really are that good (for me at least).

When I put them down after playing them for a gig, the whole relicing controversy doesn't seem to matter that much at all.

In fact, I'm going to play it right now :)

Edited by essexbasscat

So, if the Roadworn thing is still going strong with guitars and basses do you think it will start to move to other things?

Will that tatty but new Hiwatt or Marshall sound better having had the transformers 'soaked' for 100 hours at the factory? Actually, its possible it might, that's not fair as only the tolex needs to be torn for a comparison. Of course none of the knobs will be missing or replaced by unmatched types, neither will the strap handle be broken or fag paper be around the fuse.

How about drums? Pre-worn skins? Who wants pristine white telling the world you don't really play much? Surely only a matter of time?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337108398' post='1655694']
(I'd like to have seen the £450 US Jazz on ebay!)
[/quote]

It was late last night and when I went back to have a look this morning it was gone. It was a guy somewhere up the NE Tyne & Wear area. It had been dropped from a height and the body had been chipped to the wood. It had a bit of Mojo.

I really like seeing worn basses and with my highway one I like to know that each dent, gouge and scratch is all from me loving playing music.

I don't own a RW but a RW P is número UNO on the gas list, I have no issues about it being pre-worn it's going to get used and will get knocks and scuffs so why complain if it comes half way there.

My personal opinion is that I really don't like seeing basses that are however many years old but yet are in immaculate condition, I agree to look after them but for me they are made and sold to be used but I do respect people who take pride in keeping them 100% 'clean' :)

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1337120653' post='1655970']
Wonder why it's only seems to be Fenders that get 'worn' in ? Is it because the originals weren't exactly finished to a high standard ? Certainly that was my impression the first time I tried one back in the mid 70's.
[/quote]

My '95 sterling is definitly worn in, compared to newer models. The edge of the finger board and frets are very rounded and really comfortable, and the neck has gone soft as arseholes.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1337150823' post='1656119']
My '95 sterling is definitly worn in, compared to newer models. The edge of the finger board and frets are very rounded and really comfortable, and the neck has gone soft as arseholes.
[/quote]

Really? You've worn through the finish and actually wearing the wood and metal away with your hands? I know this eventually can happen and 17 years is a long time, I've never come close to making any inroads on that score for over 30 odd years. Old cars with 100s of thousands of miles may get a little smooth in the steering wheel, but then that's soft plastic.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1337150823' post='1656119']
[/quote]

You've managed to wear the fret ends down on your Sterling? Have you got shark skin. :D
My '80 G&L's fingerboard edge is showing minute signs of wear [b]between[/b] the frets, which is only fair considering it's 32 years of active service.
I wonder if your Sterling frets weren't just like that in the first place - my 'ray frets are fairly well rounded over... from stock.

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1337120653' post='1655970']
Wonder why it's only seems to be Fenders that get 'worn' in ? Is it because the originals weren't exactly finished to a high standard ? ....[/quote]

There's a well beat up Fender for sale at a premium with a trade offer for a 'ray..... I wonder if he'd be happy trading for a 'ray in a similar condition.... if such a thing could be found. :D

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337113659' post='1655795']
So, if the Roadworn thing is still going strong with guitars and basses do you think it will start to move to other things?

Will that tatty but new Hiwatt or Marshall sound better having had the transformers 'soaked' for 100 hours at the factory? Actually, its possible it might, that's not fair as only the tolex needs to be torn for a comparison. Of course none of the knobs will be missing or replaced by unmatched types, neither will the strap handle be broken or fag paper be around the fuse.

How about drums? Pre-worn skins? Who wants pristine white telling the world you don't really play much? Surely only a matter of time?
[/quote]

Well, funny you should say that .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-gRXPuNVQ

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337113659' post='1655795']

[/quote]

I thought Ampeg already did [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/128749-ampeg-oh-dear/page__view__findpost__p__1174995"]Roadworn[/url]?

Edited by xgsjx