Why become a member? ×

Cort GB94 active a good choice for newbie

kjm

Hi All

Cort GB 94 active coil split etc. Bought this a couple of weeks back paid £500 my dilemma is this. As someone new to bass playing have I bought the wrong bass ? ie to many bells and whistles, variables etc. It was a choice between this and a Fender Jag bass and I went for bling and the fact it sounded great when it I heard it being played by some one else in shop. Some how think I would have been better off with non active P bass or the Jag. I hate joining forums then selling something straight away but feel that I should go back start again with a simpler option (for me anyway) It may appear in for sale forum soon as a trade for P Bass or jazz unless I'm being a numpty and should just persevere ?

[attachment=7869:Bass.jpg]

I don't think there's anything wrong with that bass for a beginner. It might even stop you doing what I did, ie moving from 1 crappy bass to another frequently. You might want to try using the bass without any bass/treble bass or cut, and get used to developing tonal variations using your hands, pick, whatever rather than the electronics.

[quote name='kjm' post='179516' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:22 AM']Hi All

Cort GB 94 active coil split etc. Bought this a couple of weeks back paid £500 my dilemma is this. As someone new to bass playing have I bought the wrong bass ? ie to many bells and whistles, variables etc. It was a choice between this and a Fender Jag bass and I went for bling and the fact it sounded great when it I heard it being played by some one else in shop. Some how think I would have been better off with non active P bass or the Jag. I hate joining forums then selling something straight away but feel that I should go back start again with a simpler option (for me anyway) It may appear in for sale forum soon as a trade for P Bass or jazz unless I'm being a numpty and should just persevere ?

[attachment=7869:Bass.jpg][/quote]

I think its a great choice. And the Jag is active anyway isn't it?

The Jags I tried did nothing for me, and they were noisy, too.

I´d much rather have your Cort - it looks lush and I´m sure it sounds fine as well.

BTW, here´s a fellow Basschatter putting his Cort to good use:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0[/url]

I would certainly stick with it.

As previous posters have said, turn off the excess bits and bobs and just play it as a passive instrument till you are more compitent/confident at changing tone and volume just by finger position/pressure. THEN you can start to experiment with the active side of things.

My Grandfather told me years ago to "Always get the best you can afford, as the less expensive stuff WILL cost you in terms of performance and upgrading in the longrun".

How true that has turned out to be on a number of counts for me.

I've got 2 Cort basses, a GB74 and a GB99, and both are very nice.
I don't know if £500 was a good deal or not for your GB94 as I haven't really seen them around; but now you've bought it you may as well get some use out of it.

I'd worry less about the bells and whistles on it, and concentrate more on playing the thing in time & in tune. Having an alright bass means you won't need/want/have to upgrade it as soon.

How does the bass feel when you play it?

What about the weight, balancing, neck width ect?

If it feels and plays well then stick with it.

If not try another bass in a shop to compare, then you'll have a better idea weather to keep it or not.

If you buy a P bass I will be extremely jealous!

Good luck my friend!

Yeah i'd take that over a Precision any day. It'll serve you for a long time and the only reason to upgrade is something called GAS. Seriously though - nice buy and it'll save you having to upgrade because you bought something 'too basic'.

Thanks everybody

Some good advice much appriciated guess I,m gonna keep my Cort, by the way that u tube clip is superb I remember AWB from 1st time around guess what CD I,m after today! and as an aside Ive spent my amp budget on markbass 250 combo as reviewed on here looks like im all set to go!

Cheers All

[quote name='kjm' post='180311' date='Apr 19 2008, 08:47 AM']Ive spent my amp budget on markbass 250 combo as reviewed on here looks like im all set to go![/quote]
Good man! Bass looks great, enjoy. Try to get it "set up" by your local guitar shop (or guitar teacher etc) at some point. Should make it more enjoyable to play.

Very nice looking bass for the money. As others have said, having actives makes no difference to how it plays. A good set up should improve that as very few instruments are good to go straight out of the box. There is information about setting up and a list of guys who can do it for you on the basschat wiki. Just leave everything flat or find a sound you like and leave it. You have time to become a compulsive knob twiddler when you have mastered the instrument.

hi did you mean when i was playing it in the shop?? I did email you re bass lessons, and still wish to do them if you do. I have already sold the jag, its a great bass, but the one you have is cool. If you still want a lesson email on [email protected] that day was too early for me to make! HOWS the mark bass amp? what did you think of the bass merchant? i like working there, its a cool place to be,

Rich.

Buy what you can afford mate and you certainly did that! there's nothing wrong with what you bought, looks rather nice and much better than a standard p-bass! you'll be miles happier with the cort, nice to see a beginner with a bass that's better than either of mine and i've been playing 3 years :)

EDIT: markbass amp too? ok now i don't like you, your gear is much better than mine! nah i'm just joking :huh: (it is better though haha)

Edited by budget bassist

• 1 month later...

I also own the GB94 (along with a Warwick Streamer) and I must say it's an amazing bass. Great timbers, superb electronics and haigh quality finish. I'm gonna swap the MM-style pickup to alnico one (SD as well) at some piont, though. Nothing wrong with the ceramic, I just want it to sound less modern, and more different from my Warwick. The active EQ has perfectly balanced bands and I love the slap-switch.
I think it's the best bass in the around-500-pounds price bracket.

[quote name='3V17C' post='179529' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:38 AM']i'd stick with it - the Corts are nice basses and i would imagine good to learn on. Despite it being active and having lots of 'bells and whistles' none of that should really interfere with you learning to play.[/quote]
+1. That bass could help you learn and then be used to gig with.

With all basses when the strings get old, take a new pack and the bass to a good guitar shop and ask them to do a set-up on the bass. Should cost about £40 but it'll make it feel much nicer to play.

• 1 year later...