Why become a member? ×

Bass Strings - How Long Do Yours Last ?

BassMan94

Ok, so im a student which removes the "just buy a new set" outta the window.
I just wanna know how long do yours last ?

I play slap as well as fingerstyle if that helps. Mine at the momment last just over a month, why ? Is there anything I can do to get more life, untill i buy the next set.
Ive tried Overwater, DR fat beams and the other ones, Elixer and some others all roughly give me a month

anything i can do ?

cheers

You could do as EssentialTension suggests, though I would not be too keen on boiling them, as water can get into the steel core and rust will occur. Wiping down your strings with Meths (make sure you protect the fingerboard by putting plastic paper under the strings) after playing helps to prolong string life. Washing your hands before playing, also helps.

As also suggested above, flats are an option, unless you prefer the bright tone of rounds. Flats can last for up to ten years, so are very cheap in the long run. There tone is not for everyone though.

A month sounds too short, but behind that statement litres a number of variables.
How many hours' playing is that, and under what conditions? In what way are your strings not to your satisfaction after a month? Dead? Breaking? Or just not packet fresh anymore? I've used all the brands you name, and have lasted over a month, even against my uber-corrosive sweat... If you can identify the issue, you may get closer to a solution...

Depends on the sound you expect. mr Entwhistle apparently would put a new set on for soundcheck and then a new set for the gig, then he was always an extravagant bugger.

I use flats so I never change mine, even when I used round wounds I would like the sound to settle down first (usually a few weeks) then never change them.

I wouldn't boil them but soaking in meths for 24hrs is supposed to bring the life back.

3-4 weeks...and I changed them when they get thumpy.

Altho I've had a Newtone set on since Xmas..but then I don't noddle around on that bass as often.
I change then when the sound goes and when they are a hassle soundwise at gigs.
The moment I have to twiddle a dial to bring out the string, they are off.

Thanks for the comments guys

I donno, im not that of a sweaty bugger but y'know. I do love flats but they're not the best for slap are they :P

I play atleast for about 2 hours weekdays and weekends probably double that time (Any time I get im on it).

I donno after a month that 'zing' isn't there anymore it's like they've died, when I get a new set on its that zingy sound that I love but can't be buying new sets everyweek can I :huh:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1336208495' post='1642428']
A month sounds too short, but behind that statement litres a number of variables.
How many hours' playing is that, and under what conditions? In what way are your strings not to your satisfaction after a month? Dead? Breaking? Or just not packet fresh anymore? I've used all the brands you name, and have lasted over a month, even against my uber-corrosive sweat... If you can identify the issue, you may get closer to a solution...
[/quote]

How would I look for the soloution though ? Any kind of checklist laying around ?

Depends on how zingy you need them...... I play a lot of slap in our sets and after a weekend of gigs I change strings. I've tried most brands and they all die at pretty much the same rate. I now buy in bulk from Status so it's around £20 a set

If you're on a budget and like the sound of new strings try [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/597-legacy_4_string_nickel_bass_strings_40_100_45_105_"]these[/url]. They are Rotosound Rotobass nickels under a different brand name. At £7.95 it's the price of two drinks in a pub (three in a Wetherspoon). They last as long as any other non-coated nickel strings IME.

[quote name='BassMan94' timestamp='1336209614' post='1642451']
How would I look for the soloution though ? Any kind of checklist laying around ?
[/quote]

While you may not have a complete solution,(there is none IMO), you certainly have a few things to be trying out, from this thread, i.e.

1. Have a spare set of strings and soak the other set in Meths.

2. Wash your hands before each practice session.

3. Wipe down your strings (preferably with Meths) after each session.

I used to go for the bright zingy sound & liked DR Strings. Ususally got about 4-5 months out of them (though if I was doing a lot of slapping, I'd have to replace the G more often due to it snapping).

Now I've gone off of that zingy sound (it only gets in the way of the other instruments :P ) so I replaced them with TI flats back in January, 2010.
Not replaced them yet, I'm waiting until they dull down. :yarr:

& I still do a bit of slapping on them.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1336215356' post='1642568']
I'm an Elixir devotee, I'm baffled by how you only get a month out of them.
[/quote]

+1
I get at least 6 months out of my Elixirs and they get used for a couple of hours every day (and no, I don't use a plectrum :lol:).

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1336207544' post='1642411']
Boil them or soak in meths - there are several threads about it if you search.

I use flats and so they last for as long as I want them to.
[/quote]

once my strings get a bit old i wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol - seems to have the same effect

I use my strings for about 3 month. I wash my hands before I play, and I rub a string cleaner from time to time.
The strings stay bright as I like. After a few months of slapping, I see indents where the frets are on the strings. It's usually the sign I need a new set.

I tried an ultrasonic bath cleaning machine a few years back, like the jewelers use to clean rings and watches. I was amazed by the result. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-7000/dp/B007T519OU/ref=sr_1_7?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1336216678&sr=1-7
I got rid of the ultrasonic bath cleaning machine when I moved, but I might get a new one when I have a bigger flat.

Edited by BassPimp66

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1336216279' post='1642585']
Another thing you can use in them &it won't harm the fretboard, is WD40.
[/quote]

Strange. Won't that leave an oily residue, which is exactly what you are trying to get rid of in the first place? :huh:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1336207544' post='1642411']
Boil them or soak in meths - there are several threads about it if you search.
[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend trying to boil them in meths without some careful thought first... ;)

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1336215356' post='1642568']
I'm an Elixir devotee, I'm baffled by how you only get a month out of them.
[/quote]

+1 here too. Surely the whole point of the coating is to give them a longer useful life. I use them on all my guitars (though not the basses yet for a variety of reasons), and they last months (compared to the 2 weeks or so I used to get from a set of Ernie Balls on my electrics).

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1336216167' post='1642583']
once my strings get a bit old i wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol - seems to have the same effect
[/quote]

That's much better than meths.
The purple meths has a chalky residue, admittedly not much, but the general principle is to leave the windings as clear of debris as possible.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1336216838' post='1642599']
That's much better than meths.
The purple meths has a chalky residue, admittedly not much, but the general principle is to leave the windings as clear of debris as possible.
[/quote]

the wipe down definitely has a noticeable effect - i always do it routinely if ive got a gig or audition just to give them a bit of extra life for the rest of the day