Why become a member? ×

Aircraft travel with your bass in the hold

geilerbass

This might sound like a paranoid question, but I am flying to Spain next week for a 4 date tour and called up my insurance people to check that my policy would cover that. One thing the guy pointed out was that if my bass was flying in the hold, it would be subject to very low temperatures (-30 C?) and this can adversely affect some instruments.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of this, or whether it's just a myth? The only things I can think of are the neck tension being adjusted or perhaps some finishes being affected, though that's just speculation.

Obviously there's the risk of baggage handlers mistreating the bass if they do a security check, though there's little I can do about that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Slacken the strings right off, make sure the HSC is as airtight as possible- more to prevent ingress of moisture than air.... and get a 1/2 dozen packs of silica gel in the HSC to keep it as dry as poss. You should be ok.... Its not a massive long flight!

Humdity is more of a problem than heat!

Buy a good case, and give it a chance to acclimatise before you open it and it'll be fine.

I've done transatlantic flights and flights to the Middle East with my basses in the hold, and I haven't had a problem.

I would sugest that you securely fasten the case (using tape or ties) but stop short of actually locking it.

I read that strings should be left to pitch! Just goes to show the confusion about this!! I would definitely try and get it in as cabin baggage, this should be possible if you speak to the airline beforehand. Otherwise I wouldn't use anything other than an ATA approved flight case or a gig bag inside an SKB Bass Safe.

I have heard stories about finishes 'cracking' when the bass warms up suddenly, so perhaps leaving it in the case to slowly acclimatise in the hot Spanish sun would be a good idea...

I don't believe this guy! -30 degrees is the temperature outside the plane, but unless you are flying DC3 or Sopwith Camel I think your plane will have a pressurised and temperature controlled hold. Beware baggage handlers though!!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='178601' date='Apr 17 2008, 09:52 AM']I would sugest that you securely fasten the case (using tape or ties) but stop short of actually locking it.[/quote]
I don't understand this! Anything unlocked is going to walk and probably will not be covered by insurance.

[quote name='chris_b' post='178622' date='Apr 17 2008, 10:17 AM']I don't understand this! Anything unlocked is going to walk and probably will not be covered by insurance.[/quote]

What I mean is... fasten it up so it's a bugger to get in to, but still possible with a lot of effort.

If they want to open it up, and it's locked, that won't stop them. They'll just jimmy it open. I've got first-hand experience of this. Twice...

I've flown to Spain before with my bass in a Hiscox case. I did lock it, though thinking about it. It was fine, but I did slacken the strings and left the case for a few hours after landing before I opened it.

Thanks for all the replies - that's really useful!

I have a Hiscox flight case, which I'm going to stuff with foam and will try the silica gel thing. Hopefully that should be sufficient protection. I was reading another thread on here and it sounded as though the general consensus was not to lock the case. Probably a good idea since Hiscoxs have their own key locking mechanism and if they did decide they need to look inside, they'll end up busting the case to get in.

Unfortunately, i don't think we'd have the option of putting anything in the cabin since in addition to my two basses there will be 2 guitars and 2 keyboards. I doubt there'd be enough cabin room for all that.

The aclimatising thing is a good suggestion and since we arrive on Wednesday night, yet won't be playing till the following night, it should have ample to time to aclimatise before the gig. Got to remember to pack those allen keys though.

Now you mention it, -30 does sound ridiculous. :)

[quote name='geilerbass' post='178716' date='Apr 17 2008, 12:04 PM']Unfortunately, i don't think we'd have the option of putting anything in the cabin since in addition to my two basses there will be 2 guitars and 2 keyboards. I doubt there'd be enough cabin room for all that.[/quote]
There's your answer - gits, keys and their owners in the hold, leaving room for bass on plane. Sorted.

Edited by johnnylager

I wouldn't put too much trust in the Hiscox. I know a member of this forum whose bass took a bit of beating in the headstock region as the flightcase was thrown out of the plane. Great cases for everyday use, but I would certainly not use it for transporting any of my basses on a plane having seen the damage.

Definitely slacken the strings. A mate of mine had a 60s Gibson hollowbody that had its neck pulled off by the tension of freezing cold strings! Some baggage compartments are climate controlled, some aren't. You should be fine using a Hiscox however if you're going to be touring a lot, put up with the extra weight and get a proper flightcase. After 10 flights the Hiscox will have a few holes in it. Baggage handlers don't like instruments. On my last tour I watched some idiot drop my double bass off the belt and onto the tarmac from the plane window. Also, NEVER EVER lock your case. If a customs official wants to inspect the contents of your case and it's locked, they will break it open. There's a ridiculous horror story about when someone wanted to inspect a locked double bass case. They took a crowbar to the flightcase. Took the bass out of the gigbag and then opened the bass with the crowbar!

Can you tell I despise flying with instruments?

Never once had a problem flying within Europe though.

Copy of my post from another thread:

I use Pelican cases for serious (ie. plane hold) travel.

They are absolutely indestructable, you can cut the internal foam to suit any bass which means nothing moves around inside, they have wheels, and they have pressure valves on the side in case of any in-flight nastiness.

The US army use them to transport weapons, and do air-drops with kit inside these!!

[url="http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1750"]http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1750[/url]

[url="http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1720"]http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1720[/url]

They crop up on ebay quite a bit, and at least you know they'll arrive safely if you buy internationally!!

[quote name='coasterbass' post='178763' date='Apr 17 2008, 12:46 PM']Copy of my post from another thread:

I use Pelican cases for serious (ie. plane hold) travel.

They are absolutely indestructable, you can cut the internal foam to suit any bass which means nothing moves around inside, they have wheels, and they have pressure valves on the side in case of any in-flight nastiness.

The US army use them to transport weapons, and do air-drops with kit inside these!!

[url="http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1750"]http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1750[/url]

[url="http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1720"]http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1720[/url]

They crop up on ebay quite a bit, and at least you know they'll arrive safely if you buy internationally!![/quote]

I was looking at these before - is there anywhere else you can get them apart from ebay? They look perfect, but I'm I'd rather get them direct from a supplier rather than using ebay.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='178795' date='Apr 17 2008, 01:20 PM']I was looking at these before - is there anywhere else you can get them apart from ebay? They look perfect, but I'm I'd rather get them direct from a supplier rather than using ebay.[/quote]

Yep...

[url="http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/"]http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/[/url]

Be sat down tho' thy're f**king expensive!

I have few smaller ones for shooting equipment.

Tale of caution that a mate of mine (pro photographer) tells of Peli cases. They are more likely to 'go missing' because the handlers know ether is someting of value in them.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='178824' date='Apr 17 2008, 01:47 PM']Yep...

[url="http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/"]http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/[/url]

Be sat down tho' thy're f**king expensive!

I have few smaller ones for shooting equipment.

Tale of caution that a mate of mine (pro photographer) tells of Peli cases. They are more likely to 'go missing' because the handlers know ether is someting of value in them.[/quote]

Thanks for that... though right now, they're probably out of my budget :) Maybe something for the future...

An interesting point about them more likely to go missing. Kind of follows the psychology of not locking your case - if it's locked then there's more likely to be something worthwhile inside...

Another tip is that if you phone the airline in advance theres a chance that they have somewhere in the cabin.
Certainly transatlantic sized planes have special guitar cupboards up front in 1st class. (not just 747's, but 777's etc)

Ask... you just might get. :)

Last time i was in NY i bought my jazz deluxe (in lefthand of course). I got to JFK and asked if I could take it on board as hand luggage and they let me. I then had to take it through security. This gigantic bruiser (picture Mr T meets Abe Laboriel) asks me to step aside... He asks if he can open the case, which obviously I let him. Turns out he's an ex-session player and loves fenders. I must have been there for about 10mins whilst we chat cr*p about what guitars we play and love... all the while this huge queue is building up behind me. Classic.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='178859' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:17 PM']Another tip is that if you phone the airline in advance theres a chance that they have somewhere in the cabin.
Certainly transatlantic sized planes have special guitar cupboards up front in 1st class. (not just 747's, but 777's etc)

Ask... you just might get. :)[/quote]

Absolutely, but be prepared for the worst. All it takes is for someone to have a jobsworth day and you're knackered...

We're flying with Easyjet, so I would think the chances of getting instruments put in the cabin are very slim to none. But I'll give it a shot anyway.

coasterbass - your tale of airport security bass discussion made me smile. It's funny when bassists end up meeting each other in the most unlikely of scenarios.

Not a chance on Easyjet. We were coming back from France last year with a small chamber orchestra and a member of staff took a dislike to one of the french horns just before boarding the plane. Eventually everything is sorted and everyones seated and ready to take off when "can a mr... please identify himself" comes out of the speakers. Anyway, the whole argument starts again and there's a stand off between pilot, security and french horn. Crazy stuff considering everyone else's instruments including 4 cellos are in the cabin. It's 8am, MU flight agreements are being waved in the air and everyone's got a massive hangover from the night before. French horn goes in the hold about half an hour later, comes out in London trashed.

Moral of the story, it only takes one jobsworth to make your life a misery. As Wateroftyne said, plan for the worst, stick it in a good flightcase, try and get it in the cabin, if they say no you're still ok for it going in the hold. Oh, and if possible, don't fly Easyjet or Ryan Air, they don't serve free alcohol to calm your nerves!