Why become a member? ×

Aircraft travel with your bass in the hold

geilerbass

[quote name='geilerbass' post='178891' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:53 PM']coasterbass - your tale of airport security bass discussion made me smile. It's funny when bassists end up meeting each other in the most unlikely of scenarios.[/quote]

Cheers - I agree, I think there's much more of a bond between bass players than any other instrument. Hence why this site rocks and guitar forums suck :)

[quote name='Muppet' post='178841' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:00 PM']I'd be interesed in hearing more on the Hiscox story. I've flown loads of times with them and never had a problem. I do wrap the guitars in towels inside the case though.[/quote]

Basically, it looks like the case was launched out of the hold and landed on the headstock end of the case. Mashed the case and pushed it into the headstock of the guitar. I shall see if the guy in question is willing to write something about it.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='178925' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:24 PM']Cheers - I agree, I think there's much more of a bond between bass players than any other instrument. Hence why this site rocks and guitar forums suck :)[/quote]

That's because being a guitarist is a competitive sport...

I have an SKB Bass Safe case - you stick you bass inside, inside a gig bag - I flew to Thailand and back, 6 flights in total and the bass was sound as a pound. FYI I DID lock it - but even tho they managed to open it and check it - despite it being padlocked the baggage handlers - to my surprise - treated the thing with respect, no damage done. Re the cold of the hold the bass will get cold but not THAT cold - a short while left in the case when you get to your destination should be fine - I did two long haul flights and my bass was fine - I didn't slacken the strings. A two hour flight to Spain your bass will be fine - try and find a Bass Safe case - they have rolly wheels too so it's even easier to drag along with your other bags.

M

Following this thread with interest! Here is a link for the safe case that Urb was on about [url="http://www.gear4music.com/SKB_R44_ATA_Electric_Bass_Safe_Casesefv_3.html"]Bass Safe Case[/url]
Not a bad price for the possible peace of mind of knowing your baby will turn up in one piece!
I know this with my Cirrus coming back with a dent in her and she only travelled from Northampton to Hants in the back of courier's van!!

Edited by Wooks

[quote name='Muppet' post='178841' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:00 PM']I'd be interesed in hearing more on the Hiscox story. I've flown loads of times with them and never had a problem. I do wrap the guitars in towels inside the case though.[/quote]

Hiscox cases are excellent for general use (I have 6!) but I have had two completely trashed by different European airlines; the first was punctured 10 years ago, just missing my (then ) brand new Sei 5 string bass! The second was last year, when the headstock end of the case was caved in, chipping the headstock of my GB 5 string. This has only just been repaired and now looks as new, but pissed me off at the time, big style!
I have flown with instruments hundreds of times so two incidents isn't so bad - however twice is too much, and I shall only use a full flight case in future as it is almost impossible to guarantee getting your bass in the cabin.
I agree, it is not a good idea to lock your case. I have had several opened by airport staff whilst not been personally present. I usually wrap loads of gaffa tape over all the catches/fastenings to stop them being opened accidently (and to make it awkward for anyone who doesn't really need to check inside).
As sad as it sounds, perhaps the best solution is to just fly with inexpensive instruments...

QUOTE (chrkelly @ Apr 17 2008, 03:16 PM) *
MU flight agreements are being waved in the air

Are you saying the Airline ignored this? If so was it reported back to the MU?

Completely ignored them! The whole situation was bizarre, and Easyjet's staff were downright rude. Not sure what the MU came back with as I haven't been on a gig with that guy since. Would love to know though.

Edited by chrkelly

[quote name='chrkelly' post='179103' date='Apr 17 2008, 06:09 PM']QUOTE (chrkelly @ Apr 17 2008, 03:16 PM) *
MU flight agreements are being waved in the air

Are you saying the Airline ignored this? If so was it reported back to the MU?

Completely ignored them! The whole situation was bizarre, and Easyjet's staff were downright rude. Not sure what the MU came back with as I haven't been on a gig with that guy since. Would love to know though.[/quote]

What does the MU say about taking instruments on planes?

[quote name='ped' post='179585' date='Apr 18 2008, 10:50 AM']Think I might get a couple of Pelican cases - they come with solid blocks of foam to cut yourself yes? What is the best way to cut it? They look quite lightweight, too, am I right?

Cheerz
ped[/quote]

They come with Pick n" Pluck foam... apparently.

[url="http://www.casesbypelican.com/foam.htm"]http://www.casesbypelican.com/foam.htm[/url]

Edited by EBS_freak

This is also a glowing endorsement, and quite fun to watch:

[url="http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/videos.html"]http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/videos.html[/url]

They really are the mutts nuts and I'll get my photos up tomorrow.

As for retail, all mine came from the ebay.com - they came with the guitars I bought, or i bought them separately.
You can get the 1750 series (which is guitar sized) for BIN $150-175, or the same as a Hiscox case, and at least you know it won't get destroyed by USPS on the way over.

www.peliproducts.co.uk must have a list of uk retailers though.

Geez I should get commission... :)

My brief request for information has turned into a hardcase discussion - excellent! Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions.

Those Pelican cases do look good, though sadly, I can't afford one right now and I'm flying on Wednesday, so wouldn't be able to get it in time, even if I could...

As it happens, I was in the Gallery earlier today, buying some strings and enquired on the off-chance that they had anything beyond the usual Hiscox and Bass Safe... as it turned out, they had a used (albeit almost new) Warwick flightcase. I've never come across these before, but it looks pretty damn robust - propper aluminium frame and very solid coated wooden sides. It's also stuffed full of soft foam, so will fit my Ibanez snugly without the need to put additional foam in. Best of all it was £60, which seems very cheap for the quality of the case.

Well, it might turn out to be a turkey but, while not in the same league as the Pelican cases, it appears far more robust than the Hiscox cases (if bloody heavy!) so I'm throwing my chips in with this one.

It even came with a bag of silica gel, to reduce moisture...

Good score! I have seen one of those in the flesh and it seemed excellent, I doubt you will have any problems now! The only thing that puts me off getting one of those made for my pair of basses is the weight (I have a very dodgy back)

Have a good trip!
ped

Afternoon flightcase fans!
I checked the Pelican and mine are 1750's.

Photos are below.
The foam works as follows. There's a bottom layer - the full size of the case, and then another layer which can be cut to surround the bass.
I also attached a photo of the air-valve.

Any questions or queries?