Why become a member? ×

Aircraft travel with your bass in the hold

geilerbass

Hi

I didn't cut it myself - mine are 2nd hand and came pre-cut.
However IMO the foam was cut specially for each bass. These pics show the case for my lefthanded Thumb bass, which is a unique design and it fits perfectly. My other is for a Jazz.
I think its a case (no pun intended) of getting your bread knife out and sawing out the shape you want.

As for the previous question about the weight, they are fairly substantial. The 1750 clocks in at 11kg. I'm glad its got wheels!!!

Just to add my 2 cents...

I've flown with my bass a lot, and find the best case is a regular hiscox hardcse. When I've used a full on flight case in the past it comes back a lot more battered, I put this down to the weight of the thing and baggae handler being p'd off and chucking it around more, the hiscox should be fine, it will take a beating, but I've never had a problem. (Touch wood)

I've always slackend the stings about a tone/semi tone, and make sure you pack your tools for set uo just in case)

Definatley use the Silica Gel, works a treat, as a habit I now store it with all my bass kit.

As for locking the case - I don't think you are allowed to - IIRC if you lock it (as with any flight baggage) the security staff have the right to break it open, and very probably will, because when they X ray it they'll see lots of interesting looking wires etc... Again the catches on your case should be fine

You have no chance of getting a hardcase on as hand luggage, but it is possible with a gig bag, make sure you take your MU Instrument passport and kick up a fuss saying, "do you know how valuable this is, i'm not putting it in the hold, i'l sit with it on my lap if i have too..."

The downside to this is there's a good chance they'll still say no, and then you have to put your bass, in a gig bag in the hold. I know a player who does this regularly and so far it's been fine (he gigs abroad a lot). That said he just bought a cheap squire jazz for his international gigs so he doesn't care to much if it gets thrown around.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my trip to Spain and glad to report that my bass survived the trip without problems! Hooray! :)

I put it in my new Warwick Rockcase, which, while being heavy turned out to be incredibly robust and kept my little baby safe during the flight. In comparison, one of our guitarist's moulded plastic hard cases had a chunk chipped out of the corner, by the time it arrived in Spain - fortunately no damage to his beloved LTD baritone guitar.

I slacked off the strings as suggested and when it came to getting it out of it's case, I got it back in tune without any need for truss rod adjustment. It also seems to have arrived back over here in one piece.

Thanks for all your great advice and suggestions!